• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Jayfishin

Composite Props

Jayfishin

Just visited the Toronto Boat Show and picked up a brochure from "Piranha Propellars" booth. They are advertising composite props for good prices. They compared them to Stainless and claim faster acceleration but slightly less top end speed? Durability better than aluminum. Anyone have or tried them?

Jay

Trevor Zimak

Firstly, it depends of what you are looking for, and secondly, what size engine do you have?

You would see a better hole shot vs aluminum, but I doubt vs stainless. These props have less flex than aluminum and therefor would better efficiency. However, they are correct that you will actually see a decrease in top end. Particularily becuase these props are not one solid unit and blades can be changed. Another down fall with these props is that they will nick very easily even if you hit a sand bar and in some cases I know of, some guys have lost a blade completely when they hit sand at higher rpm's.

The only benefit with these props is you can try a variety of pitchs for a relatively low cost.

Jayfishin

Thanx for the input....probably gonna stay away from one then.

Jay

Abes
Thanx for the input....probably gonna stay away from one then.

Jay

I believe another benefit to these props are that if you were to put a nice nic in one of the blades, you can change the damaged blade out with a spare. Rather than having to change the hole prop.

Garbie

While were on the subject of props, I would also like to hear some input regarding designs, and materials. What do you feel are the pros and cons of aluminum, stainless, or composite? What blade pattern works 3 or 4? What do you use and why?

Bill Arnott

I carry a 4 blade Comprop (sp?) from Cabelas that sells for about 80 bucks. One peice unit as opposed to the interchangeable Pirana. Performs about the same as a 3 blade aluminum with slightly lower top end. The 4 blade resists kicking out while conering a little better than the 3 blade.

Good enough for a spare.

There is an agent for Pirana's in Thunder Bay - I'll find the number and post it.

>Bill

CRESTINER BOATS SMITHS RV BRENNEN FORD THUNDERBAYFISHING.COM

Trevor Zimak
While were on the subject of props, I would also like to hear some input regarding designs, and materials. What do you feel are the pros and cons of aluminum, stainless, or composite? What blade pattern works 3 or 4? What do you use and why?

We have basically covered the pros and cons of composite props above.

Stainless Props:

I feel there are more pros to stainless than there are cons. Stainless will get you out the hole much faster and hold your bite in the water while turning preventing less cavatation due to the fact that there is no flex. Stainless will also get you much more top end depending on the HP you have. This is becuase a stainless works more efficiently in the water and eliminates some of the vibration that you will get from an aluminum. (This vibration is minimal to begin with and may go unnoticed). And of course, they look nice. Cons of these props are that they are very expansive, anywhere from $350.00 to $900.00. Also if you hit something rather hard, kiss your gears good-bye. As these props do not break easily. I have only done this once.

Aluminum Props:

Basically the opposite. Pros, very cheap, bend rather easy and can save your gears should you hit something. Con's, they have a lot a flex and can deter performance.

3 Blade vs 4 Blade

Three blade propellers are generally all-purpose props because they give good acceleration and have good control with excellent top end. I personally run a 3 blade stainless which basically gives me the most top end. I have two 3 blade props and depending on the load I'm carrying, it varies which pitch I ran. (Pitch is an entirely different subject). As for 4 Blade props I carry one with me in the truck and will usually use it if I know if will be really rough. A 4 blade will get you up out of the hole much faster, as well as, keep your bow up a little better and help prevent you (me in particular) from spears waves. However, you will sacrafice top end for better handling and hole shot.

Bear

I run a stainless on my boat, one of the big reasons is that when I go into an area where I want to fish largemouth, I know that prop will "chop" sticks and logs as compared to an aluminum, that till either break or fold over. I also get more top end and less caviation on sharp turns. I also can cruise at about 4200 rpm and easily maintain 35 mph. If I use an aluminum it seems I am always "adding" throttle to maintain a cruising speed.

Stainless is more expensive, but I think worth it. I use an aluminum as a spare.

Bear

arvey

i don't have the boat you guy's do,but i did end up haveing to put a stainles prop on.my problem was a 19 pitch aluminum on my 40 made the rpm to high and a 21 pitch made it to low,this was wide open with no weight. so i went to a 21 pitch stainless and that cured it.

arvey