• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
tracker

Results From Big Game Event

tracker

We had a very good turn out with over 61 racks coming in for scoring. Thanks to all who attended and to all the sponsors who supplied prizes for the raffle table. There were two Ontario records that were broken. I'll post some pictures this afternoon. Please see results below.

Big Game Event 2009: A Vital Hit!

By John Kaplanis, Exec. Director

In only the second year of hosting the hugely popular Big Game Event, the NOSA sponsored event saw two Ontario records broken over the weekend! With over 500 people attending the event on Saturday Jan. 17th, there were 61 antler entries and only one bear skull entered. But the general observation by all in attendance was that the antlers being brought in are getting bigger!

Highlight of the event was without question Fred Hilliard’s giant bull moose which ended up being panel scored by three certified measurers for a final tally of 231 3/8 inches of antler mass. Hilliard was on hand through the day and when his antler’s score was made official he was invited to the podium to tell his story of how he encountered and killed the new Ontario Record moose!

If that was not enough, later in the afternoon it was brought to my attention that we may have yet another Ontario record breaker in the house! Dave Nuttall, a certified Boone and Crocket measurer approached me to tell me they were scoring a Typical Whitetail that still required about two weeks to dry before it was official. But even at this late stage of the “green” period where the antlers are near finished drying, the Typical Whitetail taken by hunter Keith Pritchard, ended up scoring an “unofficial” 190 3/8 which sets it up as being the new Ontario record once it is panel scored in two weeks time.

Wow! What a day and what a huge success the event was. The day also featured a kids moose calling competition with 21 children taking part. Special thanks to D&R Sporting Goods for sponsoring the kid’s moose calling competition.

Hunting seminars hosted by expert Moose guide Joe Dampier and Outdoor Writer Gord Ellis, had the audience tuned in to find out more tips on how to hunt big bulls and giant bucks in the wilds of Ontario’s Northwest.

Special thanks goes to the staff of the Foundation for the Recognition of Ontario Wildlife (FROW) and to Rene Cadene who along with his wife Deb pulled themselves away from the Ontario Trophy Bucks website to help with scoring at the event.

I’d also like to give a special thanks to the following retail booth advertisers who attended the event:

North Country Cycle & Sport

J&J Sports

D&R Sporting Goods

Northwest Argo

Riverside Outdoors

GMK Armoury

Tom Armstrong Outdoors

OMNR

Lakehead Archers Inc

Canadian Tire

Boreal Tales Taxidermy

Monster Whitetails

Here are the 1st place category winners for antler entries at the Big Game Event (2nd place runner up awards were also given out):

Moose Archery 1st Place: Wes Werbowy 141 1/8

Moose Rifle 1st Place: Fred Hilliard 231 3/8

Moose Cross Bow 1st Place: Dave Hrabowy 169 6/8

Typical Whitetail Archery 1st: Anthony Kaplanis 155 5/8

Typical Whitetail Rifle 1st: Keith Pritchard 190 3/8

Non Typical Whitetail Archery 1st: John Kaplanis 169 0/8

Non Typical Whitetail Rifle 1st: Bob Lockhart 178 7/8

Black Bear Rifle 1st: Terry Aggamaway 18 8/16

(Please note that cateogories not listed did not receive entries)

Fred Hilliard with his Ontario Record Moose Rack

Copy_of_IMG_1292.JPG

Keith Pritchard with his soon to be Ontario Record Deer Antler

Copy_of_IMG_1361.JPG

Copy_of_IMG_1362.JPG

Tracker

Team NOSA Homepage

Born to Fish, Forced to Work

<')(((((>{

Guest Nick C

Those are some pretty impressive antlers. Deffinatley would get those mounted on the wall lol.

Nick C

Bill Arnott

Wow.

Thanks Dennis - wish I could'a made it.

>Bill

CRESTINER BOATS SMITHS RV BRENNEN FORD THUNDERBAYFISHING.COM

Jayfishin

Thanx for the report and the pics. I was once again out of town and could not attend the event, so being able to view this info via this site and the net was great. Damn work :angry: keeps getting in the way of these local events...maybe next year.

Thanx to the NOSA for all their hard work on putting this great event together!

Jay

Guest Nick C

I wish that I could have made it also :( Oh well... Im deffinatley going to the out doors show :)

Nick C