• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Barrski

Minn Kota trolling motors 36 or 24 volt

Barrski

I'm running a 20ft legend extreme boat which is good on both lake superior and the larger inland lakes. The problem I have is trying to slow troll for walleye with any type of wind. I would like to up grade my 55 lb bow mount too the Minn Kota Fortrex 101 lb thrust 36 volt or my second choice is the 80 lb 24 volt which I believe might be underpowered. Also looking at remote control, auto pilot and transducer unit since I will likely get a second fish finder for the front of the boat at a later date. Any feedback on either unit would be appricated.

barrski

Bottom Bouncer

Barrski are you a walleye fisherman first and foremost? Do you fish structure for Walleye?

REELBAIT

Bear

If you are fishing walleyes I would go with a 101 Terrova, that way you can take the foot pedal anywhere in the boat. I would definately go with the 36 volt unit as long as you have room in your boat for three batteries.

The Fortrex does not have auto pilot, which is a great feature when trolling a shoreline or especially fighting a fish. When its fish on, just flip o the auto pilot and head away from shore or rocks and fight the fish. The Co-pilot units also give you and your partner the ability to control the boat from anywhere in the boat.

The Fortrex is also a cable steer, which has to be controlled from the casting deck of your boat.

Just my experience and thoughts.

Bear

Trevor Zimak

36V hands down. You will never run out of power. Only down fall is they are much more expansive and you have to run 4 batteries in your boat.

Bill Arnott

I agree with Bear. The 101 terrova.

I run the 80 on a 17.5 ft rig. and it's perfect. I always liked my Maxxums but am now addicted to the Co-pilot feature. The remote hangs around my neck and I can make adjustments instantly from anywhere in the boat.

The Terrova deploys easily too (less likely to do some unplanned swimming) and is easy on the juice. I have fished 3 full days without recharging. Good quality batteries also help.

>Bill

CRESTINER BOATS SMITHS RV BRENNEN FORD THUNDERBAYFISHING.COM

Barrski
Barrski are you a walleye fisherman first and foremost? Do you fish structure for Walleye?

Yes I fish walleye all summer and usually hit a couple of walleye classics each year. I fish Superior when the salmon are hitting but probablly 90% walleye. I like fishing structure but thats when I have the problem with my 55lb motor, any wind and I'm all over the lake

barrski

Barrski

Thanks for the feedback guy's, you pretty much confirmed what I was thinking as well. I will have a look at the 36 volt Terrova 101 with the co pilot

see you on the water

barrski

Bottom Bouncer
Yes I fish walleye all summer and usually hit a couple of walleye classics each year. I fish Superior when the salmon are hitting but probablly 90% walleye. I like fishing structure but thats when I have the problem with my 55lb motor, any wind and I'm all over the lake

barrski

Barrski... I have a 80# bow mount "HAND HELD TILLER" with 3x steering and for the "Walleye" fisherman this is the unit hands down in my opinion. I have it on a 17 foot Lund Pro V and I believe it gives you supreme boat control in a good chop while holding structure. I would not recommend it to a bass fisherman working shoreline casting and moving but for main lake structure and the Walleye fisherman I highly recommend it. For your boat I would look at the 36 volt 101# thrust 3x steering Salt Water Minn-Kota with a 62" shaft. My buddy has a 18' Lund Pro V and is looking to replace his 12 volt foot control bow mount and when he came out with me and tried mine he was convinced in minutes. Just my thoughts. P.S. if it was May or June I would invite you to come out and try it before you spend a pile of money. Nisswa. :)

REELBAIT