• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Compaq

Native Netting.

Guest Compaq

I just have a few comments here. I guess natives can string nets up anywhere they want to. But I thought they were to follow their culture and or lifestyle. So explain to me why they do not make their own nets and why they net species that were not native to the area. Walleye were introduced! So why are they targeted. Whitefish was the staple along with some trout and sturgeon. Why are they targeting walleye. My taxes and licence fees went into the stocking and I believe they shouldn't be gill netted to fill someone else's pockets with money.

Guest Guest

amen brother

[/quot

It is all dependent on the wording of the treaty in the area of question.They usually reference the right to hunt and fish but don't differetiate about species.Same as for nets, some treaties stipulate that items such as nets,ammunition etc will be supplied by the government of the day

Guest Thor the Killer Poodle

All cultures will "progress" with time and/or advancement introductions. Therefore an easier way to obtain a gill net is to purchase a manufactured one. All cultures traded! So the use of modern gill nets over a hand made one is ok. Same as using rifles and trucks and quads or boats and motors. I have been approached by First Nation individuals to purchase fresh walleye fillets. The best defense against them is just not to buy them. If there is no market for them people will not harvest them for this purpose. Also with moose meat. Just don't buy it. If you come across a gill net just leave it alone. You don't know if this source of food is going to feed a family or feed Elders. Thor, the killer POODLE

Guest Guest

Feed a family or Elders, come on what world are you pretending to live in ? I keep trying to watch what I say because I tend to speak my mind, I guess I havn't learn't yet so hook'em up and find the deepest part of the lake and let'em buck.....

FYI - Last fall they were netting white fish in a bay on Lake Superior and they were pulling out 20 to 30lb pike, walleye and some big salmon. One salmon was a 20 plus female salmon loaded with eggs and the sad thing is that the river in this bay does not see many salmon anymore. Hmmmm wonder why..... And incase nobody has noticed the MNR is not going to contest these problems, basically we need to deal with these issues ourselves.... Oh yeah I forgot, the main reason for concern was that some of these nets were left for days and the fish were spoiled. How does that grab you ?

Guest Guest

I didn't realize that I had to rejoin the site again since it went down, that last post was mine.

Abes...

Guest adams

this will be a hot topic for sure.. however i think that if you are a true native canadian and you are using traditional methods (even with modern equipment) to harvest fish for use within your community be it food or income then that is just fine how could you argue with that. however, if you look deep enough within your family tree in order to obtain status and use it to over fish (i.e. many many holes in the ice on lac des mille lacs) then im strongly opposed. i saw that one last year and it almost made me sick. theres my two cents.

and just to add to the original post on this thread im not so sure that a native fisherman can set a net "anywhere" they want. maybe someone with an mnr contact can shed some light on that one.

Guest Dobsey

this will be a hot topic for sure.. however i think that if you are a true native canadian and you are using traditional methods (even with modern equipment) to harvest fish for use within your community be it food or income then that is just fine how could you argue with that. however, if you look deep enough within your family tree in order to obtain status and use it to over fish (i.e. many many holes in the ice on lac des mille lacs) then im strongly opposed. i saw that one last year and it almost made me sick. theres my two cents.

I pretty much completly agree with that. I read an article about the Native's using gill nets in BC and what it was happening to the river and the fishery (sp?) companys and the generaly public in a fishing fishing magazine. Yeah if they are catching fish and not wasting it and letting it go bad and using it to support a family or just make a profit okay they can knock them selves out, but if its just going bad or there wasting a ton of it, I am strongly opposed. To bad t he MNR can't do anything about it really I don't think.

Guest Guest

Hi there;

I can understand that the number of fish in a lake is very important to you. But let me tell you a story about my grandmother.

8 years old. Told she could no longer live at home with her parents. Taken away by the RCMP. (*I removed this part as my son read this sentence. I do understand your point and respect the history and understand it's importance but I had a rough time trying to explain it. Roger*)

I'll leave out the details of how difficult her life was since then. Now, the only thing that makes her happy is trying to live the way she did with her family before she was taken away. My great-grandfather used to net to feed the family...whatever species happened by that day.

So, while I'm sure you're a very important person; would you please allow my grandmother this small pleasure at the end of her very difficult life without complaining about how your precious tax dollars are affected. Thank you

Native Pride

Guest Thor the Killer Poodle

Yes natives were treated poorly in the past. But now they have rights and opourtunities I can only dream of. I can imagine what I could do with a free education.*Delete* Thor the killer POODLE