• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest fishermedic

Post pics of your outfit here!!

Trevor Zimak
No doubt about it, bass boats wipe the floor to walleye boats in certain situations (tournaments obviously) but around here, pretty impractical for walleye chasers. I can only think of a handful of lakes or rivers within a couple hours drive I'd be comfortable operating a boat like that on. Most places I fish would beat the piss out of a bass boat. Take a drive out toward Vermillion Bay and further in the summer time however, and the demographic starts to change.

Alumacraft Navigator 165, 60 HP Merc 4-Stroke Tiller, 24V 80 lb. Minn Kota Terrova, Humminbird Matrix 97 GPS, CUP HOLDERS!

This is a photo from its first fishing trip in Ontario last year, still has the WS stickers on it! Many things changed/added since last year. Only thing left to do is add some wave whackers.

img1425a.jpg

Those are some pretty strong words.... Remember its not the boat that catches fish! .... I cant think of one situation where a walleye boat would out perform a bass boat. <_<<_< And I have run some very big and rough water.

Guest fishermedic
Those are some pretty strong words.... Remember its not the boat that catches fish! .... I cant think of one situation where a walleye boat would out perform a bass boat. <_<<_< And I have run some very big and rough water.

OK I've got one! :D

Taking the family (all seven of us) out for a day on the water! I bet your 3 seat bass boat wouldn't handle that as well as a walleye boat. :)

Trevor Zimak

You only said places you fish... not places you take your family boating on the water. :) :)

Bottom Bouncer

I remember someone telling me they tried to cross a stretch of water on lake of the woods with there Bass boat, by getting in behind a Lund Pro Vee and following him and then eventually turning around because they couldn't keep up and it was starting to get to rough again. When it comes to speed I'll give the bass boat the nod. When it comes to handling rough water...Well let's not get SILLY now. :):)

REELBAIT

Monks
I remember someone telling me they tried to cross a stretch of water on lake of the woods with there Bass boat, by getting in behind a Lund Pro Vee and following him and then eventually turning around because they couldn't keep up and it was starting to get to rough again. When it comes to speed I'll give the bass boat the nod. When it comes to handling rough water...Well let's not get SILLY now. :):)

Alright I will play into this one. Not a bass boat owner as you have previously see by my pics on this post but here is my two cents. Guided 5 years on Lake of the Woods, during that time time I ran a lot of people boats and guided out of them for them. Everything from Ranger, Lund, Princecraft, Crestliner, Astro, Starcraft, Tracker, Procraft, Skeeter, Triton, Alumacraft, the list goes on. Now I do not own own a Bass boat for a couple reasons, price, a family, no top for the fall etc. and they are fiberglass, and I park on the rocks a lot. But I will say one thing I ran a Ranger Commanchee with a 225 hp evinrude and it was the best handling machine I have been in. Fall fishing for muskies with it in a very rough lake of the woods in the fall and it was amazing. It did not plow the waves like a lund or "Walleye Boat" it went right through and over. Despite no top pretty much dry and the lund tyee was following me.

This is walleye country but you really should take a ride in a bass boat if you never have and ever get the chance. There you go Trevor, charge for a few trips in the rocket this summer, maybe you can get some gas $, you will need it!

Bottom Bouncer

OK Monks I'll bite... :lol: I've had the pleasure of riding in the boat I named the "ROCKET SHIP" a few times. I don't think I would want to be in seas that Zimmers 21 foot boat couldn't handle. It is truly a fine boat and very fast. But sorry, I'm not convinced just yet that a 20+ foot "WALLEYE" boat, would take a back seat to a comparable "BASS" boat in rough water. :)

REELBAIT

Monks
OK Monks I'll bite... :lol: I've had the pleasure of riding in the boat I named the "ROCKET SHIP" a few times. I don't think I would want to be in seas that Zimmers 21 foot boat couldn't handle. It is truly a fine boat and very fast. But sorry, I'm not convinced just yet that a 20+ foot "WALLEYE" boat, would take a back seat to a comparable "BASS" boat in rough water. :)

Would be a great comparison, aluminum or fiberglass though! I would assume a great walleye boat up here has to be aluminum giving it the edge on durabilty in this country. No offence Trevor but I would take my Ranger Aluminum over the rocket any day of the week for what I use it for. But you definitely have the edge in terms of speed. We shall see if speed out ways your talent this summer young grasshopper! :D

As for the new "Walleye boats" they are just a basterized bass boat. I mean that in all honesty. Look at the Tracker Targa or the Ranger Fisherman. All they did was add higher sides a bigger "V" to front keel of the boat not for ride but for slow trolling control, a smaller rear casting deck, shorter casting deck up front and more room in the middle where walleye fsherman need it. Granted they do split waves better but only at slow speeds. A walleye boat is not a better big water boat it is designed to fish walleye better in big water at "SLOW TROLLING SPEEDS". If they were that much better why do bass fisherman still use bass boats on lake erie. It is definitely not for pride, they are fishing to win so they would obviously use the best boat for bass fishing.

What boat companies did was make a fast moving boat slower (different) and now it accomodates for a differeent fishing style. A bass boat is not better than an a walleye boat or vice versa. With the technology in hulls today the manufacturers are simply accomdating your fishing preference. And of course we bite.

I do not think it is an argument of boat type, but user preference. I am sure the "rocket" would not like to park his boat on vaious rocky islands on lake of the woods and then have his buddies drag dead deer over the side in to it. But my boat does not mind. My boat is not better it just suits my needs.

The perfect boat is one that you eno

Guest KINGKAN

Yeah, but can your "walleye" boats do catwalks??? Ahhh, didn't think so. :P

Jayfishin

Gotta love those Lunds in the big waves. BUT I did get to ride across Lac Seul guiding some musky hunters from the states back to Hudson years ago riding in a 21 ft ranger with a 225 on the back, Very impressed in how they handled the big water waves that day (55 mile ride). Hair straight back!!

Yee Haa!

Jay

Phil

Anybody here own a Legend boat? Would like to know any pros and cons from any owners or people who have used them.

Guest brooktrout1962

The new baby is home from North Country.

Here's the 2009 Lund. An 1850 Fisherman with 150 Verado. Have a Minn Kota Maxxum Pro w/80 lb. thrust up front. Electronics are all Humminbird. A 797c with side imaging at the console..and a 777 with GPS capability on the bow. Full walk through windshield and a top (that I won't use). I used a similar rig last year and it was great.This is a perfect multi-species boat that can also double as a family cruiser. Exceptional in big waves and rough water. Great for Lake Nipigon or Superior.

Looking forward to opening day...no matter what the weather!

Gord

post-304-1241785600_thumb.jpg

post-304-1241785628_thumb.jpg

post-304-1241785644_thumb.jpg

post-304-1241785675_thumb.jpg

Trevor Zimak

Nice looking unit.... but im surprised it doesnt have a tandem trailor being over 18 feet.

Guest jval
Nice looking unit.... but im surprised it doesnt have a tandem trailor being over 18 feet.

I have the 18 foot explorer with a yamaha and the t8 kicker w/o the tandem. It trailers like a dream. I think that boat is an 18 foot as well. The only thing is those verado engines are heavier than you know what.

Guest brooktrout1962

This boat trailers fine without a tandem. Fiberglas is so much heavier than aluminium.

The Verado is heavy..but it is truly a beast on the water.

The hole shot is scary...in a good way!

GE

Guest jval

brooktrout,

that boat is an awesome boat. I was so tempted to go with the verado. they are made here is wisconsin and it is brunswick's bread and butter engine. they cut a lot of corners on the optimax and laid of many workers over the last couple of years. Where is your kicker engine for trolling?

JV

DJL66

Gord

I remember talking with you at the AYA while waiting for the take off. I was amazed at how quiet that Verado was and the sound it made when you hit the throttle. Looks like you have another fine rig for the season.

Don

speckmaster

Great looking boat Gord.

Guest brooktrout1962

jval:

Don't use a kicker.All electric. The 80 pound thrust Minn Kota trolls the ship pretty well!

Gord

Bottom Bouncer

Rumor has it this is the rig to look for in the winner's circle at the GWC. Team Lund ? :unsure:

REELBAIT

GC 54

Very nice Gord, never seen a Lund that you have had in the past that I did not want to own.

As for the GWC winner's circle?

George Clark of TEAM CLARK

FIELD STAFF FOR TEAM SHIMANO PRO STAFF FOR D & R SPORTING GOODS PRO STAFF FOR LUND BOATS
Proudly Supported By: G.LOOMIS JACKALL POWER PRO NORTH COUNTRY CYCLE & SPORTS Treasurer of: Thunder Bay BASSmasters

Monks
Anybody here own a Legend boat? Would like to know any pros and cons from any owners or people who have used them.

Hey Phil

Never owned one but guided out of one for about a month. Decent boats for their price. The aluminum was thin on the boat I used that would by my only concern but that was a few years ago. Check the current aluminum thickness and compare to say a lund or crestliner. The boat I used was a 17 ft with a 115 merc, did about 52 mph. Was not the best handling, bounced in rough water and road pretty hard much like a Sylvain. They are light boats. If you are not going to work it hard they are a decent choice at a reasonableprice.

Gone8to1248

Picked up the new boat today from having the cover made for it and now it is in having the Kicker motor and tilt-trim plate mounted on it. Needs the charging system finished when the outlet comes in and the river to go down about 12 foot. Once that happens I can take it out for a spin on the river and check it out. I need it the 24th of this month for a Bass tournament down here on our local canal and then in June to go and do some serious Bass fishing! Any of you Bass fisherman ever heard of the Tennesse River System? Pickwick Lake or Wheeler Lake? Thats where I'm headed!

gone8to1248

Guest brooktrout1962

GC54:

This is a nice boat with lots of room.I think Cathy should let you buy it.

You know at least one of my old boats pretty well.

As for the winners circle in Geraldton..lots of work between now and then if that's going to happen...especially with such a deep field. But I do have the Dryden walleye master champ for 2008 as a partner.That must be worth something ;)

GE

Smokey

Here is a pic of my ride. Bought the boat in 2004 and still runs like a charm. It's a Lowe FM165 with a Johnson 4 stroke 50 Hp. I have it set up for fishing everything from muskies to trolling the big lakes with the riggers and planer boards. My wife's pushing me to buy a little bigger boat with the walk thru windshield and stand up cover for the not so nice days on the water.

DSC00479.jpg

Boat.jpg