• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest ratherfishthanwork

Carpet replacement

Guest ratherfishthanwork

I am pondering replacing the 20 year old carpeting in my boat with vinyl flooring. Has anyone used the outdoor vinyl that they sell at Home Deopt, is it the same material such as marine vinyl at Cabela's? I notice the floors on new boats are screwed down instead of using rivets, any experience with the screws getting loose?

Some Old Guy

Hi,

A friend of mine used the vinyl flooring from Home Depot. His boat looks great! He used screws to hold it down. No reports of loose screws. That flooring is so much easier to clean.

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

seppi

The boys at North Country C&S have been using the vinyl at home depot for a while now no complaints from what I heard !

Seppi

Guest littlegm

Just a quick tip for your carpet replacement project. I might be stating the obvious but where possible try to keep the old pieces of carpet to use as a pattern for the new stuff. And make sure not to block any drainage holes in the process.

Good Luck

Guest ratherfishthanwork

Thanks Guys

Tired of sand and dog hair in the boat. Hopefully get the boat back to town soon, will post some before and after pictures.

Bottom Bouncer
Thanks Guys

Tired of sand and dog hair in the boat. Hopefully get the boat back to town soon, will post some before and after pictures.

Check out my job on the "SHOW YOUR RIG" post. Installed new carpet in /07. Don't personally care for the vinyl flooring. Cold, Slippery (Morning Dew,Frost etc...),Gear slides around, Rips around screws and the number one reason...Kids have a hard time curling up in the corner and going to sleep. Just my thoughts. :)

REELBAIT

Bottom Bouncer
This is all well and good but does the carpet match the curtains?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Actually UNDERWEAR :)

REELBAIT

Guest ratherfishthanwork
This is all well and good but does the carpet match the curtains?

Probably would match if I was in the "Blue Man Group"

Some Old Guy

If it was ripping around the screws, did you apply glue? Always glue vinyl then screw it.

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Bottom Bouncer
If it was ripping around the screws, did you apply glue? Always glue vinyl then screw it.

Roger

It wasn't my boat it was a buddies (1 Year Old) and it was a factory job. The vinyl was ripping everywhere around the screws and he told me he was going to rip it out and put in carpet. Isn't that what everyone wants to do with there brand new boat. :lol: The brand of boat which doesn't impress me at all was ___________?

REELBAIT

Wade O.

I replaced the carpet in my boat last year with the vinyl love it way better. Beach sand and fish junk just rinses right off. Love it. But like roger said definately glue it down first.....and a word of advise if you are gluing the floor to wood apply lots of the glue cause the wood will soak some of it in.

Bear

Lund now has vinyl floors and snap in carpets. Then you can fish, take the carpets out and wash them, dry them use them again, or just leave the vinyl.

I personally like the vinyl, mostly because the basss crap in our neck of the woods is a deep red, it makes a real mess. Not only that if you get a slimer like a pike and have to bring it in the boat, the vinyl is a quick rinse, turn on the bilge pump and you are all done.

Bear

Guest ratherfishthanwork

I imagine it would also be worth replacing the wood floor with treated plywood?

Bottom Bouncer
I imagine it would also be worth replacing the wood floor with treated plywood?
A boat dealer told me 10 years was the life span of the plywood in a boat. That I feel, depends on the individual owner . My boats plywood was 15 years old but garaged all it's life. When I took it all apart the plywood was surprisingly good. I still replaced it up to 90%. I would say use your own judgment and I was also told by a retired supplier of plywood ,that there is no such thing as Marine Grad Plywood. Treated is "MARINE" plywood. I used 5/8's thickness.

REELBAIT

Guest Munshaw

If I'm not mistaken, "marine grade" plywood is just normal treated plywood but has no "cats-eye knockouts" for knots in it, which can apparently separate given the wet conditions/pounding it takes.

Guest fishermedic

^^ that sound right to me too. Marine grade is void/gap free in all of its layers not just to top/visible layer, with a water proof glue and is also treated. It's stronger and more resillient (sp?) that regular PT plywood, it's also more expensive and harder to find.

Bear

I was told by a guy who replaces floors in boats that he uses regular plywood and soaks on linseed oil to make it waterproof. Then uses a waterproof glue, covering the entire surface to put the flooring/carpet back in.

Pressure treated plywood can cause a chemical reaction which can decay the aluminum.

Bear

Guest ratherfishthanwork
I was told by a guy who replaces floors in boats that he uses regular plywood and soaks on linseed oil to make it waterproof. Then uses a waterproof glue, covering the entire surface to put the flooring/carpet back in.

Pressure treated plywood can cause a chemical reaction which can decay the aluminum.

Bear

First time I heard of aluminum decaying except for battery acid and rocks????

grumpy

Found my pictures from last year. The job took all weekend, lots of work. Check the foam I had to replace all of it as it was water logged. Call Thunder Bay Insulation ask for Sean they refoamed the boat for me. With the water logged insulation gone and new plywood I gained 10mph.

P6290008.jpg

P7050110.jpg

P7050113.jpg

P7050114.jpg

P7050119.jpg