• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Paul M.

Buying used motors

Guest Paul M.

Hey guys first off I'm new to the site, so hello to all. Second i was just curious if you guys had any tips on buying a used motor and what little things i should be checking that make a big differences.

Thanks in advance.

Paul.

Bottom Bouncer
Hey guy first off I'm new to the site, so hello to all. Second i was just curious if you guys had any tips on buying a used motor and what little things i should be checking that make a big differences.

Thanks in advance.

Paul.

Could you give us a ball park of the size of motor? :)

REELBAIT

Some Old Guy

First and foremost check the oil in the bottom end. Metal filings are a bad thing. Next pull it over to make sure it pulls over. Compression test and spark should be checked also. Tank test it to make sure the impeller is working.

Ask the owner when the last time it was ran. I know someone who bought a 10 year old motor that was never run. The impeller was shot and he fried the motor.

I'm sure there's more but this is a good start.

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Bill Arnott
First and foremost check the oil in the bottom end. Metal filings are a bad thing. Next pull it over to make sure it pulls over. Compression test and spark should be checked also. Tank test it to make sure the impeller is working.

Ask the owner when the last time it was ran. I know someone who bought a 10 year old motor that was never run. The impeller was shot and he fried the motor.

I'm sure there's more but this is a good start.

Roger

Good stuff there...the oil in the bottom end should be clean...any milkyness means water has got in - probably thru the prop seal.

You can also pull the prop and check for fishing line etc.. wrapped around the shaft. This will destroy the seal and allow water into the bottom end. Inspect the seal for frayed edges and gunk or visible line.

If you are doind a tank test ensure the motor switches from Fwd/Neutral/Rev smoothly and without any strange noises.

Inspect the prop & skeg for signs of impact. This will give you an idea of the level of abuse/or not that the engine has gone through.

>Bill

CRESTINER BOATS SMITHS RV BRENNEN FORD THUNDERBAYFISHING.COM

Garbie

Once you have purchased a motor, I would spend a little time and do some maintenance on it. Clean the carbs, change the spark plugs, change the bottom end oil, if oil injected be certain its working (premix if you have to until you know it is) water pump impeller/kit, replace/clean fuel filter if equipped, check the recoil rope condition. These things might help you prevent ruining your motor or leave you stranded, the lake isn't the place to tear down a carb. Dirty carbs can cause a lean situation, bad water pump impeller may let the motor over heat. A manual is extremely handy for maintenance. Put it in a tank and give it a test run.