• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
unbedable

Cruisin' after boozin'

unbedable

For some out there, this is closely related to fishing enough (booze) to put it in that section of posts. But how does everyone feel about the new law, that with a BAC of .05-.08 your license is automatically suspended for three days. For a second offence, they will have to take an alcohol education program.

This means that you may not get to go for a pitcher and wings with a buddy anymore if you still want to drive home. I am curious what everyone thinks?

RLK
For some out there, this is closely related to fishing enough (booze) to put it in that section of posts. But how does everyone feel about the new law, that with a BAC of .05-.08 your license is automatically suspended for three days. For a second offence, they will have to take an alcohol education program.

This means that you may not get to go for a pitcher and wings with a buddy anymore if you still want to drive home. I am curious what everyone thinks?

TAXI

Thefishleclair

Right on the head RLK........But those who play with fire.....will get burned sooner or later

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

Guest TerryK

Before we get too far in this debate, lets keep in mind the reason for DUI laws: SAVING LIVES.

If you get caught driving under the influence you deserve everything they throw at you. I have ZERO sympathy for drunk drivers.

Thefishleclair
Before we get too far in this debate, lets keep in mind the reason for DUI laws: SAVING LIVES.

If you get caught driving under the influence you deserve everything they throw at you. I have ZERO sympathy for drunk drivers.

Yes Terry throw the book at the Drunks....But if ya wanna have a beer and then go home yer gunna get a 3 day suspension....Will this go into effect for T-3's and cough suryp??? Hows about some mouth wash.

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

Guest lacman
Yes Terry throw the book at the Drunks....But if ya wanna have a beer and then go home yer gunna get a 3 day suspension....Will this go into effect for T-3's and cough suryp??? Hows about some mouth wash.

hammer on the nail fishleclair!

Guest Patch

Unless you only weigh about 100 lbs, there is no way you'll blow a warn after sharing a jug and some wings with a buddy after work. That second jug might be pushing the edge of the envelope but it just ain't worth it. And mouth wash?!?! Unless you're drinking bottles of it, no worries.

NWO Fishing Bum

This is getting at the heart of the problem! I would add my name to the list of people who 'have no sympathy for DRUNK drivers', but I have 2 or 3 beers and drive home multiple times every week. Am I impaired? Of course not! Would I blow .05? Maybe! Everyone, including numerous scientific publications agree that 'impairment' is a function of numerous factors, not just amount of alcohol consumed, but over how long was the alcohol consumed, how often is alcohol consumed, the size/weight of the person, the amount of food intake, how tired/sleepy the person is.....a breathalizer, on its own, cannot determine impairment using just that .05 level. Now, where that becomes a problem, is some guy driving home hits a RIDE program, he's not impaired whatsoever, but the cop smells some beer on his breath and gives him a breathalizer that he gets .05 on, and while they right him a suspension and he waits for two people to come get him (one to drive him home, the other to drive his car home), the guy behind him hasn't slept in 22 hours, has nodded off and almost drove the off the road 20 times in the past half-hour, is far more impaired, but he gets through the stop no problem....then behind him there's a 50-something year old depression-case Prozac-Queen, who is duped from the moment she wakes up to the moment she goes to sleep, and is far more impaired (a much worse driver) than the guy who had a couple beers after his curling match, and she gets through the stop no problem.....that's the problem when you focus on one aspect (BAC) rather than the overall situation (impairment)....but impairment is far more difficult to assess, so they take the less-effective, easier approach.

This again is the result of politics. All the rationale and evidence in the world can't compete politically with the crying-stories from MADD Canada. Kinda like all the rationale and evidence in Northern Ontario can't compete politically with a story/picture of a bear cub without a mother after she was shot in the spring. The very few really drunk drivers causing accidents and killing people, ruining the wings and a couple beer social night out for the rest of us....just like the very few dumb hunters not checking the teets of a sow before firing, destroying an entire industry so important to the economic well-being of Northern Ontario. So goes the irrational nature of politics.

NWO Fishing Bum

Guest fish_on

Never really seen how you can compare getting into a 1 ton vehicle, cruise the streets your kids are playing on, and getting into a boat on a lake and cruise around. Except the BIG difference, you need a drivers to do the first and not one for the later. So how can you group them into one pot, not sure? What do you do with the guy with the .05 driving a snow machine or boat that does not have a drivers license. I guess the old rule 2 wrongs make a right come into effect. I personally think if your only around the legal limits of .05 .08 etc and driving a boat please! Just my thoughts.

Guest Little Joe
Never really seen how you can compare getting into a 1 ton vehicle, cruise the streets your kids are playing on, and getting into a boat on a lake and cruise around. Except the BIG difference, you need a drivers to do the first and not one for the later. So how can you group them into one pot, not sure? What do you do with the guy with the .05 driving a snow machine or boat that does not have a drivers license. I guess the old rule 2 wrongs make a right come into effect. I personally think if your only around the legal limits of .05 .08 etc and driving a boat please! Just my thoughts.

IT's just another tax grab. Impaired driving is one thing, nail them they should never be able to drive again. But having a couple drinks is another. Whats going to happen if you blow .04 they going to round it up or you a 12 hr or something.

What ever I'll shut my mouth I'm in a bad mood already so I probably don't make much sense anyhow. I just feel everything is about more money. Not the well being of the public.

Fisherman08
This is getting at the heart of the problem! I would add my name to the list of people who 'have no sympathy for DRUNK drivers', but I have 2 or 3 beers and drive home multiple times every week. Am I impaired? Of course not! Would I blow .05? Maybe! Everyone, including numerous scientific publications agree that 'impairment' is a function of numerous factors, not just amount of alcohol consumed, but over how long was the alcohol consumed, how often is alcohol consumed, the size/weight of the person, the amount of food intake, how tired/sleepy the person is.....a breathalizer, on its own, cannot determine impairment using just that .05 level. Now, where that becomes a problem, is some guy driving home hits a RIDE program, he's not impaired whatsoever, but the cop smells some beer on his breath and gives him a breathalizer that he gets .05 on, and while they right him a suspension and he waits for two people to come get him (one to drive him home, the other to drive his car home), the guy behind him hasn't slept in 22 hours, has nodded off and almost drove the off the road 20 times in the past half-hour, is far more impaired, but he gets through the stop no problem....then behind him there's a 50-something year old depression-case Prozac-Queen, who is duped from the moment she wakes up to the moment she goes to sleep, and is far more impaired (a much worse driver) than the guy who had a couple beers after his curling match, and she gets through the stop no problem.....that's the problem when you focus on one aspect (BAC) rather than the overall situation (impairment)....but impairment is far more difficult to assess, so they take the less-effective, easier approach.

This again is the result of politics. All the rationale and evidence in the world can't compete politically with the crying-stories from MADD Canada. Kinda like all the rationale and evidence in Northern Ontario can't compete politically with a story/picture of a bear cub without a mother after she was shot in the spring. The very few really drunk drivers causing accidents and killing people, ruining the wings and a couple beer social night out for the rest of us....just like the very few dumb hunters not checking the teets of a sow before firing, destroying an entire industry so important to the economic well-being of Northern Ontario. So goes the irrational nature of politics.

NWO Fishing Bum

Just so you know. There are now trained Police Officers who can detect impairment by other substances other than alcohol. And a roadside demand can be done. And suspensions enforced.

Guest Kevin Green
Just so you know. There are now trained Police Officers who can detect impairment by other substances other than alcohol. And a roadside demand can be done. And suspensions enforced.

Standardized Field Sobriety Testing, Drug Recognition Experts, 3,7 and 30 day suspensions for warn on the road side alcotest.

Impaired operation of a vessel on the water costing you your drivers license and probably your lively hood.

I don't know about you but I love it all!!!!

Everyone makes their own decisions so make them wisely.

Guest Wes

I also like to go out and toss back a few. Now I guess I will limit it to one. It sucks for those of us that can handle 2 or 3 and still not blow over .05 but what about those who toss back the same and blow over .08. Huge problem! People die when that happens.

We pretty much have to bend over and take it in the tail pipe for this one. Not too much we can do about it I suppose. I, for one, say stick it to'em. It is only going to save me money and maybe my life someday.

One thing I really have to watch is the fishing with beer part. I am a bad bad man. Fishing and beer is like sex and a cigarette or a movie and popcorn for us non-smokers, they just go hand and hand or hand and tool for you single guys.

It's not like I have a whole box in the boat with me, just enough for shore lunch and the drive home. (OK sorry, bad joke I never drink beer at shore lunch B) ) but I think the law is the same as vehicles, any open or accessible alcohol containers will get you a ticket right?

Guest Kevin Carlson

I'm torn with the new law.

Judge, jury and executioner right at roadside.

You can't appeal it... You can't fight it... but you CAN appeal a speeding ticket or an over .80.... Throw in the $150 administration fee on top of that first 3 day suspension as well.

Know your rights though as a citizen - you CAN ask for a second test though, although you will not be advised of that right.

Guest canuck

Fish...impairment is impairment...whether it is fatigue or from you drinking too much cough syrup (you should stop drinking cough meds. as it is not good for the tummy).

I am with Kevin on this one....great law and I will be happy to enforce it. Being trained in Standardized Field Sobriety testing you have no idea how little alcohol in the system can cause impairment.

Shane

Gone8to1248

As a pilot , the rule is " 24 hours between throttle and bottle!"

Bernie

Guest I give Walleye sore mouths

Well nowadays you need the "Pleasure Craft Operator Card" but I see your point. They don't test your ability to drive a boat just make sure you know the rules. I think people who are around the legal limit are probably the best drivers on the road! They focus so hard as to not seem impaired that they are actually good drivers!

tracker
I think people who are around the legal limit are probably the best drivers on the road! They focus so hard as to not seem impaired that they are actually good drivers!

I don't think the judge would agree with your rational.

Tracker

Team NOSA Homepage

Born to Fish, Forced to Work

<')(((((>{

Guest TerryK

I still don't understand people who have a problem with impaired driving laws. As far as I'm concerned, the limit should be zero. If you can't go out for dinner or whatever without having an beer or drink then make arrangements to have someone else drive. Have a little self restraint for pete's sake. It's only a drink. Simple.

Contrary to what many of the whiners think, these laws aren't a cash grab or any of the other RIDICULOUS reasons people seem to come up. They are simply there to SAVE LIVES. The people that Arf Arf and moan obviously have never lost a close friend or relative to a drunk driver. Personally, I've lost 4. 2 were impaired themselves, 2 were killed by someone else.

RIP Mark, Jamie, Bruce, Matt.

Guest Ityflies
I still don't understand people who have a problem with impaired driving laws. As far as I'm concerned, the limit should be zero. If you can't go out for dinner or whatever without having an beer or drink then make arrangements to have someone else drive. Have a little self restraint for pete's sake. It's only a drink. Simple.

Contrary to what many of the people think, these laws aren't a cash grab or any of the other RIDICULOUS reasons people seem to come up. They are simply there to SAVE LIVES. The people that Arf Arf and moan obviously have never lost a close friend or relative to a drunk driver. Personally, I've lost 4. 2 were impaired themselves, 2 were killed by someone else.

RIP Mark, Jamie, Bruce, Matt.

Hey Terry

I am sorry to hear that you have lost friends due to drinking and driving. I know by the way you wrote this that this seems to be a sore spot for you, But.

What was the title of this fourm?

"Cruisin' after boozin', thoughts on the new law"

Dosen't everyone have a right to their own opinion without being called names?

Just my two cents.

Guest TerryK
Hey Terry

I am sorry to hear that you have lost friends due to drinking and driving. I know by the way you wrote this that this seems to be a sore spot for you, But.

What was the title of this fourm?

"Cruisin' after boozin', thoughts on the new law"

Dosen't everyone have a right to their own opinion without being called names?

Just my two cents.

Just who did I call names? No one that I could see.

Guest Ityflies
Just who did I call names? No one that I could see.

Oh, but it is ok to call more than one commentor names, as long as you don't say their individual name. "Contrary to what many of the people think"

I see now.

Trevor Zimak

I like the idea of losing your drivers license if you are caught under the influence while operating a boat.

Gone8to1248

Trevor is right. It's better to loose your license than your life or someone elses. As far as how much someone can drink before being impaired really depends on the individual person. Unfortunately laws aren't made that way, but more for the majority. Most Law Enforcement people are trainned in the use of the field sobriety test and breath analizers for a reason and that is to remove the impaired drinkers from behind the wheel, wether it be a car,boat or airplane. It's done not to only protect the driver but other people out there as well. Only the politicians can change those laws and not the members of the board here, so what is said here is only our opinions on the subject and why we feel that way. 2 big groups out there is MADD (Mothers Against Drunk Drivers) and the other is DAMM (Drunks Against Mad Mothers)! :lol: Please let them do the argueing not us on here!

Bernie