• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest borealboy

question about buying boats in USA

Guest borealboy

I am looking to buy a larger boat to take my kids out on Lac Des Mille Lac, Lake Superior etc. I have a 14 ft lund with 25hp but dont feel comfortable out on these lakes on a windy day. So looking for a 16-17ft walk thru console with about 50-70hp. From what I have read here it sounds like there are better deals in the US but I was wondering about getting a US trailer across the border. Anyone have any experience with this?

Guest bassmanjc

Hi there,

I picked up my boat used from the Us about 3 years ago. It was actually quite easy. First thing you need to do is find if there are any leans on a boat (That is if it is used). I just simply hooked my boat up and droe to Canada. When you get to customs they will make you fill out a form for the trailer, and an inspection of your trailer needs to be done. You canget this done at most canadian tiers for next to nothing. When the inspection is done, notice is sent to the government and they issue you your trailer licence. You will also have to get a candian plate for the trailer. You will alos have to pay duty at the border. Still this is way cheaper than buying here in Canada. It might sound like a lot of hassle but its not. Expect to sit at customs for 20 minutes, as the paper work does take awhile.

Hope this helps.

Bassmanjc

Monks
Hi there,

I picked up my boat used from the Us about 3 years ago. It was actually quite easy. First thing you need to do is find if there are any leans on a boat (That is if it is used). I just simply hooked my boat up and droe to Canada. When you get to customs they will make you fill out a form for the trailer, and an inspection of your trailer needs to be done. You canget this done at most canadian tiers for next to nothing. When the inspection is done, notice is sent to the government and they issue you your trailer licence. You will also have to get a candian plate for the trailer. You will alos have to pay duty at the border. Still this is way cheaper than buying here in Canada. It might sound like a lot of hassle but its not. Expect to sit at customs for 20 minutes, as the paper work does take awhile.

Hope this helps.

Bassmanjc

AS per above. It is quite simple. I picked mine up last summer and got a steal. It seems a 14 ft with a 20 hp is gold up here and I paid less for a 17.5 ft with a 115. I am all about supporting our local business but if used go south. I spent a total of 30 minutes at most at the border. It is very easy. Before you go though challenge a dealer on the price they will move. I bought my etec here instead of the US for a fraction more but with the dollar and travel a great price.

DJL66

I have purchased 2 boats in MN in the last 3 years and found the experience very easy and rewarding. Just wanted to let you know despite what someone else mentioned there is no duty on used boats, just PST and GST payable at the border. Have all receipts for the boat, motor and trailer as well as your proof of payment before arriving at the border. The more paperwork you can provide the easier it will be getting through. The cost for having the trailer certified to Canadian standards at Canadian Tire is $208 and takes only a few minutes having the Manager inspect the trailer and complete the paper work. After that you go to the MTO and get plates and registration. With the $ getting closer to par again there should be some good deals in the next while. PM me if you have any questions.

Don

Trevor Zimak

The only other thing you need that has not been included is you must have three seperate reciepts. One for the boat, one for the trailer, and one for the motor.

Guest fishintbay

I just purchased a boat in MN , i was easy just like everyone says . i was gone for over 48hrs so i was allowed to claim my $400 of spending and my daughters towards the boat so i save on taxes . you will have to pay gst and pst on boat and motor and only the gst on the trailer at the border pst for trailer is paid at the MTO, if the trailer is newer then 1994 (i think) u will have to get it inspected and pay the $200 and i believe they would want the ownership of it . My trailer was older so i dont have to get it inspected .

Guest I give Walleye sore mouths

Can someone add a few links for good sites for finding used boats in the states, particularly MN? Thanks in advance.

DJL66
Can someone add a few links for good sites for finding used boats in the states, particularly MN? Thanks in advance.

minneapolis craigslist, IDOfishing.com These are the sites I had found my 2 boats on. Be cautious on craigslist as there have been alot of scams with deals that are way too good to be true.

Trevor Zimak
minneapolis craigslist, IDOfishing.com These are the sites I had found my 2 boats on. Be cautious on craigslist as there have been alot of scams with deals that are way too good to be true.

http://www.walleyecentral.com

http://www.boattrader.com

probably you two best sites to look for boats in MN

Guest fishintbay

make sure when buying used or older in the US to try the boat out on the water , i having problems with mine nothing serious. ran fine with ear muffs on but not in the water . so beware and test it out on the water if u can

Guest borealboy

So I followed everyones advice and found a boat on Craigslist in Duluth. Drove down on the weekend, hitched it up and drove back. Total time at border was 10 minutes. Paid the tax and away I went. The seller made up a bill of sale from a template which State of Minnesota gives out to residents for just this purpose. He broke down the price of boat, motor and trailer. Paid with paypal as that is what he prefered and got him to print off his receipt to prove the money was transferred.

Because the trailer was 15 yrs old, no need for inspection so saved $200.

Couldnt be easier. There are new boats coming up on craigslist daily but the cheap ones go very fast.

Guest fishintbay
So I followed everyones advice and found a boat on Craigslist in Duluth. Drove down on the weekend, hitched it up and drove back. Total time at border was 10 minutes. Paid the tax and away I went. The seller made up a bill of sale from a template which State of Minnesota gives out to residents for just this purpose. He broke down the price of boat, motor and trailer. Paid with paypal as that is what he prefered and got him to print off his receipt to prove the money was transferred.

Because the trailer was 15 yrs old, no need for inspection so saved $200.

Couldnt be easier. There are new boats coming up on craigslist daily but the cheap ones go very fast.

what did u pick up

Guest borealboy

Got a 94 princecraft 176 superpro with 94 115 HP evinude motor. All the accessories plus 1 yr old minnkota 65lb trolling motor, hummingbird fishfinder, travel cover and full bimini top. Everything works great, package cost $5000. Motor needed a bit of work which added to the cost but still ahead of the game. I would recommend taking any used motor in for servicing before heading out on the water. They found a couple of things that needed fixing/replacing, eventually would have resulted in expensive repairs if I hadnt caught them early. Just because it runs in the guys garage doesnt mean it is good to head out on the water!

Get a receipt with serial numbers, hull ID number and separate costs of boat, motor and trailer. Also ownership papers for boat and trailer. This makes the paperwork at customs very fast. Then go to MTO for trailer registration and Service Canada (next to passport office) for boat registration.

Pay the tax and you are good to go.

Guest MBonazzo

Hi Everyone just wondering somthing, iv brought a few snowmachines across from the US into canada but with a snowmachine I had to provide the vin number and a copy of the ownership to the US border and wait 72 hours from them to verify that is isnt stolen and stop and have them verify the Vin before I brought it across. This is not the case for a boat and trailer? you can just bring it across without informing the US Border?

Slick_Jig

From my understanding, and with the new procedures. ALL units must sit at the border for 72 hours like minnow said!!

Gone Fishing

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

Guest thehappyhooker

I have purchased both a boat/trailer and a truck from the US in the past 2 years. The best source of info regarding importing vehicles is the Registrar of Imported Vehicles website (www.riv.ca). It has been recently improved and is much more user-friendly than the last time I had to use it.

It's the boat trailer that needs the most attention. If it was manufactured in the last 15 years, you need to be able to get, or make sure the trailer has the following info: (includes travel trailers, boat trailers, utility trailers, air braked trailers, and machinery on a trailer frame that is capable of being towed or drawn on a public roadway)

• Recall clearance letter
  • The vehicle must bear a manufacturer's valid U.S. Statement of Compliance (SOC) label at the time of import.
  • Valid alpha-numeric 17-digit vehicle identification number (VIN)

The trailer will also need to be inspected later on at Canadian Tire to make sure the lighting and reflectors are up to Canadian specs before you are able to get a license plate for it.

If you are importing a boat trailer (unlike cars/trucks) you don't need to inform US Customs 72 hours ahead of time and you don't need to stop at the US side when you are bringing it across. The information listed previously about itemized receipts describing how much was paid for the trailer and boat/motor separately are important because of GST/PST (I think you pay the GST on the whole package at Canada Customs, and PST on the trailer later when you get the license plate?)

The RIV site has a great new feature called Importer Checklist in which you select all of the information specifically about what kind of vehicle/trailer you are importing and it will compile a list of things you need to do, specifically for your situation...find it here: http://www.riv.ca/ImporterChecklist.aspx

This tool even provides you with the trailer manufacturer's contact info in order to get the recall clearance letter.

There are a few more steps after you get the boat home in order to get your boat numbers. I think they did away with having to get the Canadian capacity/load limit plate a few years ago. I sent Transport Canada my $5 and they sent it back with a letter stating it was no longer required. You might want to check to make sure it's still cancelled though...lol.

Good luck and I hope this helps!

Dawn

DJL66
I have purchased both a boat/trailer and a truck from the US in the past 2 years. The best source of info regarding importing vehicles is the Registrar of Imported Vehicles website (www.riv.ca). It has been recently improved and is much more user-friendly than the last time I had to use it.

It's the boat trailer that needs the most attention. If it was manufactured in the last 15 years, you need to be able to get, or make sure the trailer has the following info: (includes travel trailers, boat trailers, utility trailers, air braked trailers, and machinery on a trailer frame that is capable of being towed or drawn on a public roadway)

• Recall clearance letter
  • The vehicle must bear a manufacturer's valid U.S. Statement of Compliance (SOC) label at the time of import.
  • Valid alpha-numeric 17-digit vehicle identification number (VIN)

The trailer will also need to be inspected later on at Canadian Tire to make sure the lighting and reflectors are up to Canadian specs before you are able to get a license plate for it.

If you are importing a boat trailer (unlike cars/trucks) you don't need to inform US Customs 72 hours ahead of time and you don't need to stop at the US side when you are bringing it across. The information listed previously about itemized receipts describing how much was paid for the trailer and boat/motor separately are important because of GST/PST (I think you pay the GST on the whole package at Canada Customs, and PST on the trailer later when you get the license plate?)

The RIV site has a great new feature called Importer Checklist in which you select all of the information specifically about what kind of vehicle/trailer you are importing and it will compile a list of things you need to do, specifically for your situation...find it here: http://www.riv.ca/ImporterChecklist.aspx

This tool even provides you with the trailer manufacturer's contact info in order to get the recall clearance letter.

There are a few more steps after you get the boat home in order to get your boat numbers. I think they did away with having to get the Canadian capacity/load limit plate a few years ago. I sent Transport Canada my $5 and they sent it back with a letter stating it was no longer required. You might want to check to make sure it's still cancelled though...lol.

Good luck and I hope this helps!

Dawn

Just thought I'd add that the recall clearance letter is no longer required for the trailer. I purchased my boat in the fall of 08 in Mn and it was not required but my prevoius boat purchased in 06 did. The rules have changed.