• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest borealboy

Mercury optimax vs 4 stroke

Guest borealboy

I am looking at a new boat that can be set up with either a 4 stroke or Merc Optimax (oil injected 2 stroke) motor. Both options seem pretty similar in terms of fuel economy, maintenance,power etc but if anyone has any hands on experience with both of these engines I would be interested in hearing what you think.

thanks

Trevor Zimak

I have been running an Opti for 4 years and my opinion is that the optimax is

- faster on the top end and hole shot

- has about the same fuel economy

- is much lighter

- and of course sounds better

The only negative I can think about is that you have to run the Opti DFI Oil, which is expensive, however you will use very little.

I've also had some expirence with the fourstrokes and they are relatively maintain free when it comes to winterization as compared to the Opti's .. just a little more to do with them.

Guest fishermedic

For what it's worth here is my two cents.

I researched the Optimax and Verado pretty intensly while I was boat shopping. At first (before I did a lot of reading) I was convinced that I wanted a fourstroke on my boat. My thinking was that the 4stroke would have better fuel economy, be quieter and involve less maintenance. Once I got into it I started learning that the advertising I based this on wasn't exactly how I had understood it.

As Trevor said the fuel economy is very close between the two motors. Neither one is ahead after this.

The maintenance during the boating season is close as well, like it says above post the winterization for the Opti is a little more involved, but again not by much. It's still a tie.

As for the noise.... the 4stroke will definitely be a quieter engine than the Opti. When researching I found that most Opti owners didn't think the motor was excessively loud and some even said it was very quiet. Despite this it's still plus one for the Verado.

Hole shot for the Opti is aparently better than the Verado. I'm not so sure of this, maybe it is by a little but I doubt I would notice the difference. Same for the top speed. Although, I suppose on a high performance, Trevor type, boat the difference would be more apparent. ;) Verado still up by one.

The weight difference is a big one. 510 lbs for a 150 Verado vs 431 for a 150 Optimax. Plus one for the Optimax, back to a tie.

Reliability was on my list as well. From what I read this was also a tie. I didn't find a whole lot on the Verado and everthing I found on the Opti was good, like no problems since I got it 4 or 5 years ago. Still tied.

Price was the big one. The Optimax was alot less than the Verado. Plus one again for the Opti.

So I went with the 150 Opti. So far I love this engine choice, the boat pops out of the hole almost instantly, top end is more than fast enough for me, I've been out in the boat 5 times and I'm about half way through a tank of gas. I haven't put any oil in since I brought it home and it doesn't look like I will for a long time. Now, about the noise from this motor... I love it! It doesn't sound like any other outboard on the water, when I turn the key, I smile evey time! It is loud, you know it's running and you know when you punch the throttle... BUT... I can sit and have a conversation at full throttle and I don't need to yell. I still don't know how to explain this but the noise isn't intrusive. It doesn't drown anything out.

That's all I've got, my two cents and a second vote for the Optimax. Good luck with your search, I'm sure youl'll be happy with whatever you choose.

Guest GNO

I would go with the Opti as well. Better performance for sure. The 4 strokes are nice, but they are heavier and more costly to purchase. When the fuel consumption is so close, the 4 stroke just doesn't pay off.

GC 54

Excellent analogy fishmedic, I had a 115 four stroke, now need to decide what to replace it with, waiting for insurance to decide. I have two options right now, a 150 Opti or a 150 e-tec. But not sure if I want a Rude awakening but the pricing is quite close to the opti.

Are there any Rude owners out there who want to tell us about their experience with their e-tecs?

George Clark of TEAM CLARK

FIELD STAFF FOR TEAM SHIMANO PRO STAFF FOR D & R SPORTING GOODS PRO STAFF FOR LUND BOATS
Proudly Supported By: G.LOOMIS JACKALL POWER PRO NORTH COUNTRY CYCLE & SPORTS Treasurer of: Thunder Bay BASSmasters

Trevor Zimak

A friend of mine bought a brand new 09 late last summer. Blew up at 4 hours.. :lol:

Guest borealboy

Thanks for all the input! I am not a high performance kind of guy. Just want to get out on the big lakes with the kids and wife, do some fishing and try not to hit any rocks. I need a low maintenance reliable motor that a mechanical simpleton like me can put away for the winter and still have it work in the spring. Sounds like there isn't alot of difference for my type of boating, except the price (about $700) which can buy me minnows for life....

Monks
Excellent analogy fishmedic, I had a 115 four stroke, now need to decide what to replace it with, waiting for insurance to decide. I have two options right now, a 150 Opti or a 150 e-tec. But not sure if I want a Rude awakening but the pricing is quite close to the opti.

Are there any Rude owners out there who want to tell us about their experience with their e-tecs?

I will will speak on behalf of the "Rudes" ie the Etec. Couple key points brought up about the mercs, one is easy to winterize the other not so, one is heavy the other lighter. If Merc was confident in their motors why build 2 comparable motors to do the same thing? Advantage evinrude. I ran my etec all last summer , similar economy to the opti, same power a little lighter both great engines so far. Now for the kicker. How nice it was for me to pull up to the launch in novembre after deer hunting all week in freezing temperatures, pull the boat up to the dock, lift the idle lever, turn the key a couple times and that was it, the motor was winterized!!!! No dealer costs at all. Plus no visits to the dealer for 3 years for maintenance. Oh yeah and check how many fewer moving parts the Etec has than the opti. I researched between an Opti and and Etec and hands down they are both superb motors next to a 4 stroke. Your choice should be between an Etec or an Opti. Of course I would lean you towards an etec but you will be happy with either.

I have seen an opti blow and an etec, that is gonna happen, but I will say I have personally blown 5 Yamahas while guiding and I would stay clear of them in the bigger hp.

GC after the GWC and a ride in the ranger with the etec you wil be buying an etec!!

Guest fishermedic
... turn the key a couple times and that was it, the motor was winterized!!!! ...

Now that IS sweet!!! I've seen and heard a lot of great comments on the E-tec's, I'm sure it would be a great choice.

If the Legend didn't already come with the Merc I would have looked harder at the Evinrudes a little harder. I figured I'd avoid the hassel of trying to get a different motor on the boat and just go with the Merc.

Gone8to1248

I have to say that the E-TEC sure has the low end tourque! My boat shoots right up out of the water and on plane in a boats length. I just ordered a 13 3/8 X 15P Stainless prop to try on there to see if I can gain some of the top end back.

Rumor has it that E-TEC is working on a new feature for there motors where they wont have a startter. It will inject fuel into the up piston in the power stroke and ignite the fuel to turn the engine over. Now THAT would be sweet!

Bernie

GC 54

Let me tell you something, today I took out the Lund with the new 150 Opti (had a 115 4 stroke before), WOW, the hole shot is unbelievable, we were able to carry on a conversation while pinned, still have a few more hours to go for break in period, I have a 14.5" x 19 pitch aluminum on there and can reach 44.8 mph on the gps at 5,200 rpm. Going to purchase a 17 pitch to see if we can improve on the speed and at the same time increase the rpm. This engine should run between 5,400 and 5,750 rpm.

And by the way, it sounds great too! Heading to Shebandowan in the morning. Maybe see you there.

George Clark of TEAM CLARK

FIELD STAFF FOR TEAM SHIMANO PRO STAFF FOR D & R SPORTING GOODS PRO STAFF FOR LUND BOATS
Proudly Supported By: G.LOOMIS JACKALL POWER PRO NORTH COUNTRY CYCLE & SPORTS Treasurer of: Thunder Bay BASSmasters

Some Old Guy

Monks............

"but I will say I have personally blown 5 Yamahas while guiding"

Did you get a good "tip" at least? HA HA HA HA!

Just kidding......... I couldn't help it......

See ya in G-Town!

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!