• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Wes

What Ammo do you use and why?

Guest Wes

I am just looking for general info on Ammo quality. What do you use? Why do/don't you like it.

I will be looking for .270 ammo before long and would like to zero in on a brand/style.

I have used the Remington Express Core Lokt in the 30 .06 cal. I can't tell you anything about it other than it made a hole in the animal I was aiming it at.

Is there such a thing as ammo that burns cleaner and leave less crap in the chamber? Pros cons.

Any info would be helpful

Wes

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

i don't really buy bullets any more I handload.

no one type will be cleaner than the other.

for deer use whatever shoots the best in your rifle from a good rest at 100yds.

moose or bear id try using a premium loading with nosler partitions or barnes Triple shock. they offer better penetration and weight retention than the cheap loads do.which is especially needed with smaller lighter bullets like wiith your 270. The federal premium vital shock with 150 nosler partitions would be my weapon of choice.

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

Guest Nonus

If you can afford it, buy a couple packs for the calibre you have, shoot 3-5 shot groups at the distance you normally shoot at or at 100 yards. Determine from that what shoots the best and voila you got your ammo.

Who cares about clean ammo, as long as it does its job and doesn't blow you up a brass brush and some lead/copper solvent will take care of the rest.

12many says the best bet for you would to be hand loading your own, that way you can tailor a round to shoot the best out of your rifle, will take some testing but once you get dialled in you are good to go.

NorthwestHunter

I shoot Winchester Supreme Elite XP3's for my .308 win in 150 grain. Awesome rounds, they stay together with awesome expansion and deadly knockdown power. I took down a bull moose this year with my .308 at 100 yards, blew through a rib on entry, rib on exit and through one shoulder blade....bullet did not fragment and made a clean exit...bull went 15 yards. The shells are a little pricey but worth every penny.

Good luck!

Whitetail hunting, not just a 3 month season...a 12 month obsession