• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest borealboy

gadgets/tricks for hitching up a trailer alone?

Guest borealboy

Now that I have a boat and trailer that I can't lift, does anyone know of a gadget that allows you to back your hitch right into the trailer in one step? The only two options I know of so far are 1. back up, get out and check, back up some more, check again or 2. back up until the trailer smashes into the back of the truck, drive forward a bit and connect.

Neither technique is entirely satisfactory!

Somebody must have invented something that you can see from the mirror that tells you when your hitch and trailer are close?!

DJL66

I have seen on ebay a magnetized rod that you put on the trailer hitch and one on the truck hitch. These rods are extendable to about 3-4' so when you back up your truck you know where the trailer is in relation to your hitch. When the two line up and almost contact each other you stop the truck and load up. I've never used one but looks like it would work. What I do use to move my boat around (cause it is way too heavy for me to lift on my own) is a two wheeled dolly with a 2" ball. This makes moving my boat in and out of the garage a breeze and I can bring the boat right up to the truck without having to always back up etc.

Don

gone fishin'

You can get a rear plate mounted camera at Cdn Tire for about $100. Fairly easy to install. Works via wireless connection to the monitor in your cab, and only comes on in reverse.

GC 54

Or you can purchase from Cabela's this piece of metal that mounts on your hitch that allows you to back up to the trailer and it guides the trailer coupling just above the ball, saves lots of verbal abuse with your spouse if she keeps telling you to back up and then you hit your licence plate, I have the proof, and the spouse still, lol. Just watch your knees on this one, will take off a knee cap easily if you are not watching what you are doing when at the back of your vehicle.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...&hasJS=true

OR

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...=0032482521724a

Both are much cheaper than a divorce.

George Clark of TEAM CLARK

FIELD STAFF FOR TEAM SHIMANO PRO STAFF FOR D & R SPORTING GOODS PRO STAFF FOR LUND BOATS
Proudly Supported By: G.LOOMIS JACKALL POWER PRO NORTH COUNTRY CYCLE & SPORTS Treasurer of: Thunder Bay BASSmasters

Guest borealboy

OK thanks for a couple of great ideas. I like that magnetic thing but the reviews on cabelas say its a bit flimsy. I think I can make one myself with junk I have in the garage. If it works I will post a picture!

mmgg

At the launch , I saw guy that had truck mirror bolted to his boat trailer winch post.

Guest kbslayer

What about the option of having a wheel mounted to your trailer jack? Just back your truck up close and wheel the entire trailer over to the ball.

The link below has a hard plastic wheel that is linked on with a pin so you can remove it if you need to put the regular bottom. Also I have found the wheel to be a nice feature if you need to move the trailer around in the garage (or if you have a paved driveway). I have also see pneumatic tires which work better on untreated surfaces.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/sto...0_757522_757522