• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest stumped

Deer Feeders

Dirttracker18

OP

The simplest And easiest method is a plastic bucket on a wood base. Open some holes on the bottom sides of the bucket for the food the exit and mount the bucket on the wood base.

You can go from that to monster feeders that have timers and such.

Non of them will stop the bears. Don't feed in the spring or early fall as the bears will be there.

Once it starts to cool off you can start. If you just want to see deer you can feed in the summer too. Generally the bears don't come around in summer much. But they still might.

This time of year no issues with bears.

As far as the feeder it up to you. They all work and that's why I make my own. If I had an area I could not make it too daily I might consider a bulk timer feeder.

Hope that helps or at least gives you something to think about.

The Great Outdoors

fishingfinn

My husband and I are looking for a deer feeder to put out in the Nolalu area. I have read alot about bears loving to play with these and wondered if anyone had any suggestions of what kind to get or to make.

Thanks, Stumped. blink.gif

Back to the original post...

I have a Moultrie Feeder and no problems so far. It fits a about 3 bags of feed (I use the deer mix from Thunder Bay feeds) which can last 2-4 weeks depending how much to set it to dispense.

Definitely wait until bears are gone, they will destroy the feeders.

post-450-0-84660200-1416189690_thumb.jpg

Cribby

I took your advice and used it to my advantage. I took a copy of pics of the guys memory stick in deer cam, looked at times on my computer at home. then I called up an old family friend that doesn't get out much. I told him when to get to my house so he could be in place a half hour before deer normally came (according to trail cam that was set at feeder). He shot it and was tickled, I feel great today. It was a ten pointer that I couldn't seem to catch in his natural environment.

I guess with some circumstances its O.K. Just not my cup of tea.

Mr. Canoehead

I took your advice and used it to my advantage. I took a copy of pics of the guys memory stick in deer cam, looked at times on my computer at home. then I called up an old family friend that doesn't get out much. I told him when to get to my house so he could be in place a half hour before deer normally came (according to trail cam that was set at feeder). He shot it and was tickled, I feel great today. It was a ten pointer that I couldn't seem to catch in his natural environment.

I guess with some circumstances its O.K. Just not my cup of tea.

Cribby, you went from calling people "lazy asses" to telling your family friend to take advantage of a baiting site. And now it's not your "cup of tea". Instead of being a complete hypocrit and making yourself the rear end why don't you mind your own business?

Baiting is legal and if it works I say go for it and if you got a problem with it call your MPP. But seriously, worse case scenario is you feed some hungry deer and fatten them up to help them survive the winter.

Personally I would love to get some private property in the future and do food plots and maybe feeders for later in the season. Cut trails, set up a comfy blind to take my son or my father in law hunting in. Not to mention enjoying the deer population year round.

I did not use bait this year or last year myself. Know why??? Because somebody trashed my feeder and stole my trailcam. Was that you who stole my trail camera Cribby??? Same reason I didn't set up my treestand this year, thieves everywhere.

AND TO THE OP: A bucket with a lid and small triangle shaped holes at the bottom and screwed to a wood base works great and is dead simple to make.

• Like 1

Mr. Canoehead

I absolutely agree jonnyried, The guy that drives 50 miles in a day and hopes for the best, as they drive as many cuts as they can in a day. I call these guys "Road warriors" and its to bad a trophy animal will lose its life to someone that doesn't respect it enough to learn about it and its habits. I agree it takes a lot of skill to pattern an animal and set stands, But hunting is about being in the outdoors. With that said a camera and a feeder turn hunting into just shooting because you haven't learned the animals habits. You have changed them. I also have started using cameras, but I move them along his natural route till I find a place he will present himself during daylight hours. By doing this its called hunting and you know what time he is in certain places and learn about the species your hunting. Am I off by saying this?

No this is what you call hunting. To most bowhunters it is the be all and end all. Lying in wait for a deer you have patterned with a trail cam. Takes a lot of time and patience. Not all of us have the time on our hands like you obviously do. It takes a lot of know-how too, but not really much skill.

To me the ultimate is tracking a deer, putting the stalk on it in the woods and beating it at it's own game. Nothing beats that. It takes track tracking skills, calling skills, stealth, wit, instincts, marksmanship, and the courage to follow an animal that far into the bush without getting lost and knowing you can't just pull it out with a quad. Even a small deer taken in this manner is more to brag about about than a monster buck taken from a tree stand which you then drag out with your quad. That's my opinion but I usually keep it to myself because nobody asked. But I will float it out there just for you;)

As for road warriors, some people are not able to trudge around the bush.Or don't want to. Just be glad they are not out there competing with you. Don't be jealous that they got one.

Hunters should stick together. Not judge each other and steal each other's stuff.

• Like 1

Cribby

Mr Canoehead, I read my posts in this thread again. I never mentioned once that I or anyone else should break the law, by stealing which is criminal theft, or breaking someone else's equipment which is a criminal act. For you to ask me if I did something to your equipment, My answer is absolutely not. I have never and would never do something to destroy or steal another hunters stuff. In my post I merely said make the food unappetizing for the deer to stop them from coming to site.

And for being a hypocrite, You must read the whole thread before calling people names. In my second post in this thread I said I agreed with baiting for certain reasons. 1.Being special needs 2.Being an older hunter that can't walk far anymore and 3.a child that can't hold a rifle and relies on a good rest for an ethical shot. A post was sent to me and suggested I should use the bait site to my advantage. I hadn't thought of that and I realized that was a great idea. (That is one of the reasons I come to this sight, is for other ideas or thoughts). I never went and sat with my old friend that can't walk far anymore, number 2 in my list of things I agreed it was good for. So for you to accuse someone of being a hypocrite that is not, I think I know why something happened to your stuff. That is just my opinion and that's all it is.

I am just going to give you a heads up, If you speak to people and make them angry with your comments and accusations. I believe your equipment being stolen and damaged, was done to you for reasons other than they don't like people baiting. Get what I'm saying?

Cribby

Stumped, I hope the direction this post has taken has let you see the different thoughts and opinions on the deer feeder subject. I'm sorry once again for hijacking your post.

Hope you and your husband have a great season no matter how you hunt.

Monks

To the OP "Stumped". There are numerous feeders on the market. Some are gravity fed and some on a timer. Choose one to fit your budget. In regards to when to feed, follow your local regulations and if permitted wait until November until you begin any feeders or yes you will have bears. As mentioned you can make your own and Google is your friend. Happy hunting

Cribby

1246 views for this thread, How many of them do you think may have changed their views on the subject?

I'm done responding to this thread, HAPPY HUNTING everyone.

Mr. Canoehead

Mr Canoehead, I read my posts in this thread again. I never mentioned once that I or anyone else should break the law, by stealing which is criminal theft, or breaking someone else's equipment which is a criminal act. For you to ask me if I did something to your equipment, My answer is absolutely not. I have never and would never do something to destroy or steal another hunters stuff. In my post I merely said make the food unappetizing for the deer to stop them from coming to site.

And for being a hypocrite, You must read the whole thread before calling people names. In my second post in this thread I said I agreed with baiting for certain reasons. 1.Being special needs 2.Being an older hunter that can't walk far anymore and 3.a child that can't hold a rifle and relies on a good rest for an ethical shot. A post was sent to me and suggested I should use the bait site to my advantage. I hadn't thought of that and I realized that was a great idea. (That is one of the reasons I come to this sight, is for other ideas or thoughts). I never went and sat with my old friend that can't walk far anymore, number 2 in my list of things I agreed it was good for. So for you to accuse someone of being a hypocrite that is not, I think I know why something happened to your stuff. That is just my opinion and that's all it is.

I am just going to give you a heads up, If you speak to people and make them angry with your comments and accusations. I believe your equipment being stolen and damaged, was done to you for reasons other than they don't like people baiting. Get what I'm saying?

I made YOU angry? You're the one insulting people because they don't hunt just like they do on the tv shows. Your arguments have more holes in them than a pizza box at a gravel pit.

• Like 2

Iron Ranger

Good reply

Thank you

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon.

Cribby

I sure hope you would pick the pizza box up and take it with you. People that litter at gravel pits are making us good hunters look bad!

Sorry, I was going to take post in even yet another direction. And you guys would have bit too I bet.

LOL, I had a great time keeping this post alive, but its like kicking a dead horse. And its just not amusing anymore.

Hope everyone enjoys the rest of the season, HAPPY HUNTING. No matter how you do it be safe.

Till the next post I think should have more controversy, So long and take care from "The CRIBBY"

gsambray

I made YOU angry? You're the one insulting people because they don't hunt just like they do on the tv shows. Your arguments have more holes in them than a pizza box at a gravel pit.

But we do hunt like on tv. There's more commercials about deer feed and food plots than actual hunting.