• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest stumped

Deer Feeders

Guest stumped

My husband and I are looking for a deer feeder to put out in the Nolalu area. I have read alot about bears loving to play with these and wondered if anyone had any suggestions of what kind to get or to make.

Thanks, Stumped. :blink:

mmgg

FIRST,,,,Don't feed the deer until the bears are hibernating ,,,and baiting deer for hunting may be illegal .

If you do it for veiwing pleasure just plant a garden with some clover around it,(DEER WILL SHOW UP UNTIL NOV.)

as for feeders a 2x2 box with a 20" hole in the front works., put the feeder at least 300 yards from any buildings.

Feeding any wild animal, is usually a BAD IDEA,,,,resulting in car collisions,, unnatural behavior,,and disease.

ask your neighbor before putting up a feeder.

Not to mention annoying you neighbors , they eat all new trees you plant,,your garden,flowers,,,attract wolves and bears,

the feeder attracts bears,skunks, birds and squirrels

AB

I second mmgg's comments about feeding deer.

Worst case scenario, you run into one in your driveway damaging your vehicle. :angry2: The deer won't be to thrilled by the whole episode either. :wacko:

Been there, done that....won't do it again!

iceman

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

i made one out of that white plastic pipe at home depot

simply a vertical tube with and elbow at bottom capped a the bottom of the elbow. work like a feeders-as they eat more trickles down

cost $35 for me to make 2 only need a hand saw and some screws to make

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

GC 54

FIRST,,,,Don't feed the deer until the bears are hibernating ,,,and baiting deer for hunting may be illegal .

this information is the response from an earlier post to the MNR forum:

MNR Answer:

Yes it is legal to put out salt licks (or other bait) for deer, moose and bear for the purpose of hunting.

The only restrictions for the use of bait in hunting come under the Migratory Birds Convention Act Regulations.

Ross Johnston

Community Liaison

Conservation Officer

Suite B001, 435 S. James St.

Thunder Bay, ON P7E 6S8

Telephone: 807-475-1521

Facsimile: 807-475-1527

Email: ross.johnston@ontario.ca

George Clark of TEAM CLARK

FIELD STAFF FOR TEAM SHIMANO PRO STAFF FOR D & R SPORTING GOODS PRO STAFF FOR LUND BOATS
Proudly Supported By: G.LOOMIS JACKALL POWER PRO NORTH COUNTRY CYCLE & SPORTS Treasurer of: Thunder Bay BASSmasters

Cribby

I read in a post called "baiting deer" that you can bait and put a stand. Stand must be removed at end of year or you will be charged. I have come across a tree stand on crown land and a grain silo with stairs and shooting windows at top of it on corner of private and crown land.. If someone reported the stand the person may be charged after season. What would happen to the person that has a grain silo for hunting going to get? As it can't be moved.Or will he be charged at all? The private property isn't his but he must have permission to do what he has done.

On a side note I believe baiting for an animal that can be patterned should be illegal unless Disabled or a child that needs a solid rest cuz of strength.These two hunters I have mentioned have changed the patterns of all the deer in the area because of this baiting.

Make lazy people go out every day and learn their animal they hunt. You only cheat yourself and the animal if you don't respect them.

Cribby

Hope a CO takes the time to read this. Its a question I've had for the last # of years.

Also I found a shot moose that was left to rot. I was able to see guy tonight that walked in bush and I believe shot it. I got his plate number, but not sure if wasting mnr's time on a not sure thing? From everyone else in cut I talked too, said his group has done this before.

It just jerks my chain, he never got caught. Hope this isn't against the rules I will mention his first name only.

Gus

Please delete the name if its out of order, not my whole post please.

hunt or be hunted

Cribby, I can totally relate to ur problem you've found in the bush and the really sad thing about it theirs not much that's gonna change, the best thing at most that will happen if the MNR gets involved and I know this from personal experience is their gonna ask the guy to move his Stand and feeder off crown which exactly what u want but now lays ur problem, by the sounds of it his stand is right beside private land, so theirs nothing to stop him from moving it 20,30 how ever many yards over onto the private land and if it's a freinds, family or whoever, if they have agreement that stand if the property says it okay doesn't have to be moved ever and can and will always stay their, the next problem is that theirs no regulations by law stating he can't feed the deer year round outside of city limits on private property, so the sad thing is their probably aint nothing the MNR can or will really do about it and u can stop the feeding. Personally I don't agree with the feeding part at all, the deer become reliant on that new food source and takes away from their natural feeding patterns and like u said has complelty changed theirs patterns 👎Im big time bow hunter and mange 3 food plots which I believe is the best way to go to properly manage deer on ur land but when ur gonna throw a grain/corn silo out in the middle of the bush year round I do believe their is something seriouly wrong with it and the mnr should step in! Just my 2 cents had the same scenario happen to me a few years back and had to change my hunting area, cheers and happy hunting

Cribby

Thank you hunt or be hunted, I knew that is the reply I would get. But it just confirms I'm not alone on my beliefs in hunting deer. I personally spend days and weeks patterning the deer I am hunting and want to harvest. If I'm successful in my hunt that's awesome, but if not I know for next year or at the very least. I had a great experience trying to out smart him. And I can pass my hunting stories down to my kids and grand kids how he eluded me Not a story of sitting in a silo or stand and that he just wasn't hungry that day so I never shot him.

So.If you are very old or are a special needs person and can't walk at all or are a child and needs a solid rest cuz your to week to hold rifle for an ethical shot, You may be exempt from this post. But anyone that is healthy and sits on a feeder cuz your to frigin lazy to hunt can not call yourself a hunter.

These are my thoughts, and if your feeder gets a douse of diesel to stop it from working.. That's to bad.

Cribby

Your right Crabby is a good name for me. I have been off and on with this sight for a little more than the last ten years. If you can read some of my old posts A lot of them have people like yourself that have no quality replies. Just a lonely person looking for attention replying to posts they have no clue about, (because they don't leave the house), And just try and get a back and forth immature arguments going. That was one of the reasons I haven't been back for so long. With that said I hope you have got enough attention from me to feel like you've done something to better this sight.

LOL

I think you should leave your house or apartment and get out so you have a clue what people are talking about on this site. Moderator I apologize for that comment, but it has to be said. I Know this is a great site for a debate, but it has to be on a adult level and be about topic.

Regards

Cribby (soon to be Crabby)

randomheroj

post-483-0-89508400-1415993945_thumb.jpgi make sure i post these all over my property..

• Like 1

Cribby

Post what? nothing was uploaded, If its good I may post as well on my property. K I can see it now. I have seen this pic before. It is a good one but I have no bait piles to put it on.

HA HA

Johnnyreid

Just my thoughts. There is way more skill and effort involved in setting up a stand, setting up a camera, trying to pattern a deer, trying to control your scent and finally successfully harvesting your deer than there is for the guy who drives around or walks around chasing a deer that u hope is around the next corner or standing in the next cut. Luck and skill are two different things. I'd rather be a skillful hunter than a lucky hunter.

Cribby

I absolutely agree jonnyried, The guy that drives 50 miles in a day and hopes for the best, as they drive as many cuts as they can in a day. I call these guys "Road warriors" and its to bad a trophy animal will lose its life to someone that doesn't respect it enough to learn about it and its habits. I agree it takes a lot of skill to pattern an animal and set stands, But hunting is about being in the outdoors. With that said a camera and a feeder turn hunting into just shooting because you haven't learned the animals habits. You have changed them. I also have started using cameras, but I move them along his natural route till I find a place he will present himself during daylight hours. By doing this its called hunting and you know what time he is in certain places and learn about the species your hunting. Am I off by saying this?

• Like 1

Dirttracker18

Well I have been following this thread for a while but feel the need to speak up now.

First off, I have feeders in two locations with cameras set up at all of them. This by no means guarantees s successful hunt nor does it make me a lazy hunter. I work hard daily on my areas (as do my partners in the other areas). We do not simply go out and sit in a stand above food and arrow a deer. Like any other form of hunting it takes much preparation and many days and evenings in the stand to know what is happening and where.

Second, my feeders do not start up until late fall, to keep the bears away. However my cameras are up almost year round. I see no discernible difference in pattern after the food goes out, other than the fact that deer will stop at that location for a while. I see the same deer year round at about the same times with and without the feed. Once again, all it does it stop them there for a while. I have neighbours that also have cameras, some with feed and some without. All report the same thing, same deer, same times. Arguing that feeding somehow dramatically changes deer patterns is false, unless you are a serious year round feeder.

What's worse is those that argue against a feeder but feel it is perfectly acceptable to grow a food plot (which is on our radar in the coming years). How is planting an area of food for deer any better or worse than putting out food? You set up the plot, the deer eat there and you wait for them.

So for those so adamantly against feeders please tell me, do you fish with a bare hook? No lure, no bait, just a hook. I didn't think so. Do you "lure" deer and moose in using a call, rattling antlers, scraping, etc. You use what you have at your disposal to enhance your success.

Please keep in mind that this is not the only hunting I do nor is it the only deer hunting I do. I have a variety of locations and styles that I employ depending on the time of year, weather, who I am hunting with and what our goal is. My deer tags are not necessarily filled from a feeder area. As well the feeder area limits the deer you have access too. My personal area in my property has a very limited number of deer that frequent and even less I would harvest. The feeder allows me to be very picky about what I harvest in an attempt to keep the numbers up and healthy.

I can totally understand having a personal opinion about a particular hunting style of preference. However, to claim that one style is wrong or somehow unethical because you disagree or don't use it is short sighted to say the least. That are benefits and downsides to all forms that we undertake. Each has it's place and for a couple of my areas feeders are a great option.

FWIW

None of my feeders or stands are on public property. I reserve this for private property. I will set up a natural blind on public land if the opportunity presents itself. However tracking and stocking seem much more effective when out on public lands.

To each his own so long as we are following the rules and being ethical in what we do. Either that or do away with all enhancements that you use, calling, scent locking/blocking, feeding, patterning.

• Like 4

The Great Outdoors

Cribby

Dirttracker18, That's awesome. I have been trying to keep this post going to have valid comments like yourself have made. I feel that this sight is a great debating platform so others can see all views on a subject. They may change their views after reading or do things different all together when hunting.

As far as my opinion on food plots goes, If you don't want deer to leave your private property that is what you would need to do. The only thing I look at with that is, Deer move every two weeks or so to different feeding grounds. If an abundant food source is present will they still leave like they naturally would? Or will they stay there, thus changing there natural feeding pattern?

Also I'm not sure I understand that you want to make the deer population in your area healthier than it is? Are we looking to make it so we can buy 10 surplus tags each? Deer that are week are taken care of by nature so their jeans are not passed on. If you feed them and allow them to stay healthy enough to make it another year you may allow it to weaken your heard. Isn't that's why we have been taught since children not to feed the animals?

Hope there are some more valid opinions to add to this post.

Dirttracker18 I believe you replied to my comment of people that sit at feeders are not hunters? Am I right? That just validates that you know somewhere in your heart its wrong. And you have a conscience about true hunting ethics.

Once again these are everybody's personal opinions. Its a big subject if its right or wrong. Make your own decisions what you think is right or wrong, even though the law allows it.

PRO V

You guys are not really adding to the post,............. read the opening post.

Mike

• Like 1

Cribby

Sorry to original poster for hijacking the post, but I think it has turned out fine. And it was mmgg that put it in this direction.

Thank you mmgg

Some Old Guy

Here's some thoughts from someone who doesn't hunt but not against it either.

To me fishing and hunting is a personal thing. We have rules in place to ensure safety and prevent over harvesting. Hunting and fishing are traditional engagements that every ancestor of every race participated in. The primary objective was food.

Nowadays sport is involved while harvesting food. If someone wants to sit at a feeder and enjoy watching the happenings around them and it's perfectly legal then great. Have a good time. If someone likes to walk and get exercise while stalking and tracking, great.

I remember when there were moose and no deer around here. The last time I have seen a moose around my place was 12 years ago. I now see deer every single day.

My last comment is about food plots. Ever see the deer around farms in our area? It's crazy! Would it be wrong to hunt near a farm?

Roger.

• Like 1

R.T.R. Respect the resource!