• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Castnblast

E-tec O-pinion

Castnblast

Anyone out there running an E-tec and wish to share their likes, dislikes etc . I know Monks has a 90.

I've been poking around for a 75 hp Yamaha or Merc 4 Stroke, but can't find one a year old and won't pay 10K for a new unit.

I now have a line on a new 75hp E-tec tiller and I am considering it as the price is really good. (I'm not buying it from Roger lol)

Early this summer I ran into a CO on a lake who was running a 40 E-tec and he was not impressed. Others rave over these engines.

Thoughts...

Gone8to1248

I have the 90Hp E-TEC on my boat and I like it now that I understand it. After talking with the Evinrude Engineer he did confess that there is a break in period on the E-TEC motors that is programed into the computer that doesn't allow you to get full throttle for about 20-25 hrs. After that time you will get about 300 more RPMS. It is also nice if you can get the Techs to tweak your engine with thier computer to get better gas milage and performance. Will up there this last trip I was only burnning 3-4 gallons of gas a day with all the running around I was doing. The winterizing feature of the motor is great also and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg either. If you get one I suggest using the WD-100 oil in it.

Guest Jamie

I have been running Evinrude E-TEC's for 7 years and simply think they are the most advanced outboard. I could go on and on about this, just check their website for details. I have had 2 issues, both times they were sensors acting up. The E-TEC never left me stranded, all I had to do was shut the motor off then restart it and the motors got me home. My motor for the last 4 years is a 75hp tiller, and it is quicker than the Yamaha and Mercury.

The other brands are good motors, but the most important thing when buying a outboard is having a great dealer. My dealer informs me when there are updates and I think my motor has been updated 3 times. If you have any specific questions just ask.

Trevor Zimak

Have you run a 75 yamaha or 75 Mercury on your boat?

• Like 1

Castnblast
Have you run a 75 yamaha or 75 Mercury on your boat?

T, are you asking me - or Jamie?

Guest Jamie

Trevor

I am better out of the hole and only 1 to 3 mph slower at top end than a 115hp Yamaha on the exact same boat. I am also faster than 2 different 75hp Mercury four strokes on smaller boats than mine that weigh hundreds of pounds less. Don't get me wrong they are all good motors I am just stating my experiences.

sinker7

Castnblast:

I have been running an E-tec for four seasons now. Great on fuel. Ran perfectly until this summer when a connecting rod decided to punch a hole through the block. Even though the motor was well out of warranty and apparently had water in the system BRP covered it under goodwill warranty. Very satisfied with the outbaord overall and would buy another E-tec in the future.

Castnblast
Castnblast:

I have been running an E-tec for four seasons now. Great on fuel. Ran perfectly until this summer when a connecting rod decided to punch a hole through the block. Even though the motor was well out of warranty and apparently had water in the system BRP covered it under goodwill warranty. Very satisfied with the outbaord overall and would buy another E-tec in the future.

wow...other than the great on fuel part, that summer experience sounds alot like an incident I had with my Dodge truck this year. bummer.

What size E-Tec do you run? Was BRP able to tell you why the engine blew?

sinker7
wow...other than the great on fuel part, that summer experience sounds alot like an incident I had with my Dodge truck this year. bummer.

What size E-Tec do you run? Was BRP able to tell you why the engine blew?

It is a 200HP...according to the tech working on the engine water had contaminated the oil reservoir, enough that it caused the engine to run extra lean and ultimately blow a bearing at high RPM.

Castnblast
It is a 200HP...according to the tech working on the engine water had contaminated the oil reservoir, enough that it caused the engine to run extra lean and ultimately blow a bearing at high RPM.

I wonder how water would find it's way into the oil reservoir. You'd think it would be a secure sealed unit. Thanks for the reply. cnb

Monks

I know I will be enjoying mine again this November 20th when I pull it out of LOTW after a week of deer hunting and have it winterized before it leaves the water. They are all good motors these days but the Etecs are just more advanced than the others. A mph here and there who cares. Unless your Zimmer :lol: Come everyone hp is hp. But no maintenance for 3 years or 300 hours, and winterize yourself, just too mention a couple. Money in my pocket and not the mechanic.

Get on board Castnblast!