• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
randomheroj

300 mag or 7mm

randomheroj

the wife says for christmas im getting a new rifle... but right now im stuck between a 300 mag and a 7mm i will be using it for moose as im going to retired my other rifles... any info would be good please help...

GC 54

The way to go is with a short mag, choose the 300 wsm, that's my choice.

George Clark of TEAM CLARK

FIELD STAFF FOR TEAM SHIMANO PRO STAFF FOR D & R SPORTING GOODS PRO STAFF FOR LUND BOATS
Proudly Supported By: G.LOOMIS JACKALL POWER PRO NORTH COUNTRY CYCLE & SPORTS Treasurer of: Thunder Bay BASSmasters

tracker

Stayed on topic for one post this time!! I shoot both but the 300 WSM is still new to me. No complaints with the 7mm.

Tracker

Team NOSA Homepage

Born to Fish, Forced to Work

<')(((((>{

Guest Nonus

Both will easily blast away anything you point it at, huge amount of powder pushing that bullet.

If all you are questing for is minute of moose then either will be the same too. Then I would go for ammunition availability or just personal preference.

Now if you plan on going long range accuracy I would look at the ballistic charts and compare them with the bullet weight you plan on shooting.

Did you pick out the rifles yet? Cause some rifles barrels will shoot much better in one calibre than the other.

Travis Schallock

Both are great cartridges, I would lean towards the .300 only because of the greater assortment and sizes of bullets available. With either you should shoot a premium grade bullet that will hold together at short range and the high velocity it will be travelling. I was guiding someone last week that allmost lost their 1st moose because of it, shooting a .300 at short range and a 'cheap' bullet. The bullet it a solid bone and disintigrated, leaving very little blood trail, we did find the moose but not until the next day.

Travis Schallock

Nakina Fish and Game Club - President

Guest Jamie

Both are a great choice. I prefer the 300 mag and own a Remington Model 700 that is stainless and synthetic. Get the stainless steel synthetic, you don't have to baby your gun in bad weather. Don't cheap out on the scope, it is hard to go wrong with a Leupold, although I have a Nikon with zero complaints.

Bottom Bouncer

I've owned both and I would say in my opinion the 7mm magnum with a 160 grain nosler is tough to beat. Check the ballistics and I'm sure you will be happy. Also don't think that 160 grain bullet is to small it's a rocket. I use a 150 grain nosler with a 270 for moose and deer with no issues. One thing about the 7mm magnum,you will never feel over gunned or under gunned in the field. In my opinion if your going to have one gun the best all round calibre, bullet combo... is the 7mm magnum with a 160 grain nosler :)

REELBAIT

Guest mr eagle
I've owned both and I would say in my opinion the 7mm magnum with a 160 grain nosler is tough to beat. Check the ballistics and I'm sure you will be happy. Also don't think that 160 grain bullet is to small it's a rocket. I use a 150 grain nosler with a 270 for moose and deer with no issues. One thing about the 7mm magnum,you will never feel over gunned or under gunned in the field. In my opinion if your going to have one gun the best all round calibre, bullet combo... is the 7mm magnum with a 160 grain nosler :)

If you are ever planning a trip out west, the .300 may be a better choice due to ability to shoot 200 0r 220 gr grizz stoppers.

Guest BPangler

300 sako with 180 grain bullets is what i run, with about a 500 dollar kassnar scope i take my targets out at 700 yards plus

if you got the cash buy sako

fishman1

the 300 mag is in a dfferent class altogether compared to the 7mm. compare balistic charts and you will see for yourself. both guns will do the job quite well. there are not a lot of bullet choices with the 7mm as they only shoot lite weight bullets. with the 300, you can shoot heavy bullets if so desired, something you cannot do with the 7mm. the only reason that the 7mm shoots flat is because it shoots a liteweight bullet. but for knockdown power at any distance, the 300 is FAR superior than the 7mm. and i would agree with george and go with the 300wsm. this calibre has been voted the top calibre in several hunting magazines.

Guest dano
the 300 mag is in a dfferent class altogether compared to the 7mm. compare balistic charts and you will see for yourself. both guns will do the job quite well. there are not a lot of bullet choices with the 7mm as they only shoot lite weight bullets. with the 300, you can shoot heavy bullets if so desired, something you cannot do with the 7mm. the only reason that the 7mm shoots flat is because it shoots a liteweight bullet. but for knockdown power at any distance, the 300 is FAR superior than the 7mm. and i would agree with george and go with the 300wsm. this calibre has been voted the top calibre in several hunting magazines.

since when is a 175 grain 7mm bullet light? This bullet shoots as flat as a 180 out of a 300 win mag. Lightweight bullets actually don't shoot that flat compared to heavy bullets, something you can see for yourself in ballistic charts. either calibre is good.

levi64
since when is a 175 grain 7mm bullet light? This bullet shoots as flat as a 180 out of a 300 win mag. Lightweight bullets actually don't shoot that flat compared to heavy bullets, something you can see for yourself in ballistic charts. either calibre is good.

I didn't want to be the first to say it.

One rifle, 7mm. It will kill anything in North America and it flys flat. You can't go wrong either way.

Rem 700 bolt action out of the box are some of the most accurate rifles made.

gsambray

I shoot a mossberg 4x4 7mm mag with either 150 or 160 grain bullet. topped with a leupold 3x9x52 scope. dialed in at 300 yards with groupings you can cover with a looney. never had a problem, very fast action and very little recoil. shot many animals hunting with it and never had to use more than 1 round so far. its more of a personal preference when it comes down to buying a rifle. best way is to find a few friends with what you are looking at and sit in a gravel pit and see what you like. TRUST ME take the time to decide. you dont want to rush into something and later on regret it. my own advice is to stay away from the remington model 710 in 300 mag. the action is stiff, gun is heavy for having a synthetic stock and i didnt find it very reliable. I broke firing pins a few times and decided to trade it in when it caused me to not get one of the biggest bears i have ever seen out hunting. but thats my opinion.

randomheroj

i just bought both lol a 300 and a 7mm

Hurketthunter

I only shoot the .300 but I like it alot. Shooting 165 grain barnes tsx's it's a very flat shooter and will take down anything I point it at. Although I hear alot of good things about the 7mm as well. Don't really think you can go wrong either way as long as you use a premium bullet.

gsambray

I have yet to find anything around here that my 7mm mag wont take down. and actually i only use a 150 gr. bullet. it works great on bears never had to fire a second shot. deer not a problem they dont go much further than were they are standing and dropped a moose but that took 2 shots. (i missed the first) LOL. he did run about 50 yards before falling over but thats not too bad for a moose.