• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Monks

30-30

Monks

Thought I would ask on this forum as well as on another forum as there seems to be a few knowledgeable gun folk here. Looking for a lever action 30-30 for bush hunting. This is for stalking in the dense bush for both deer and moose with open sights. My question Winchester or Marlin and why. I grew up shooting my dads winchester which is now retired because it just plain was used too much and too hard for our moose hunting and trapping. So I am partial to Winchester but would like some feedback.

As well anyone looking to sell PM me please.

Cheers

Monks

Guest Nonus

Marlins are pretty much the same from my understanding except they are already drilled and tapped for a scope mount.

What is wrong with the Winchester, shot out or just in rough shape?

Monks
Marlins are pretty much the same from my understanding except they are already drilled and tapped for a scope mount.

What is wrong with the Winchester, shot out or just in rough shape?

Shot out, the bullets pretty much bounce down the barrell, and the match stick under the rear sight finally rotted away. My dad is sending it down to me and I am going to have it looked at, but it is now a classic I would say and retired.

Guest Nonus

You can get replacement sights but I don't know if you can get the barrel replaced.

Go down and hold them if you can. I only held a marlin and it felt pretty heavy.

Buck 120

I have a Winchester Model 94 375 Calibre, Big Bore, can't beat it for open sights bush stalking. Something about the nostalgia of the model 94 that I love.

http://s868.photobucket.com/albums/ab248/nivlacw/

Not just a 3 month season but a 12 month obsession!!!

Monks
You can get replacement sights but I don't know if you can get the barrel replaced.

Go down and hold them if you can. I only held a marlin and it felt pretty heavy.

My thoughts too, I thought the winchester just felt better. Tried em both, I think I am a winchester man.

Buck 120

How do I get the photobucket picture to show in the post? All I am doing is pasting links.

Not just a 3 month season but a 12 month obsession!!!

Guest Nonus

You need to wrap the link in the img tags or use the little image icon above the text where you type your posts into. It is the one that has a little tiny picture on it which is the 4 one from the right.

The image tags are:

[img=link]

NorthwestHunter

I shoot a marlin 336 chambered in 30-30. Its an exceptional gun and I would highly reccomend it - very accurate, smooth and easy to handle. If your looking for ammunition I would pick up Hornady Leverevolution with "FlexTip Technology" ... awesome rounds.

Whitetail hunting, not just a 3 month season...a 12 month obsession