• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Nonus

Hare Snaring

GC 54

Here is a good read, however, be sure to tend your snares at least once a day, you still need to be ethical even though snaring is so lethal.

http://www.wildwoodsurvival.com/survival/s...bitsnarerb.html

Silly wabbit.....

George Clark of TEAM CLARK

FIELD STAFF FOR TEAM SHIMANO PRO STAFF FOR D & R SPORTING GOODS PRO STAFF FOR LUND BOATS
Proudly Supported By: G.LOOMIS JACKALL POWER PRO NORTH COUNTRY CYCLE & SPORTS Treasurer of: Thunder Bay BASSmasters

Bear

Jeez man, buy some chicken....

BB

Snares cannot be used, except by the holder of a resident’s small game licence for taking varying hares north of the French and Mattawa rivers with a snare constructed of copper or brass wire between 22 and 24 gauge. The opening of the snare wire loop must be 10 cm (4 in.) or less in diameter.

Getting all this fluffy white snow, tomorrow would be a good time to see where all the wascally wabbits are.

Thefishleclair

Yes you can snare rabbit on yer small game tag.....

Here is a Video of how to set on a good trail using a leaning stick. Best practise is to set on a tree rooted to the ground..Set it about 2-3 inches off the ground, Jam yer leaner stick into the ground good!!!

http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a280/Fis...NVEExport-7.flv

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

Mr. LeClair to the rescue as usual :) Thank you for the video.

You just have a simple loop on the end of the wire?

Hmmm, I just remembered I have a bunch of scrap Cat5 cable. Luckily for me it is 24 gauge copper wire too, so I got my snaring material. I shall have to give it a try.

Just stripped a whole bunch of cable, what a pain in the butt :D I measured it and the size I got would be somewhere around a 24.5 gauge wire, probably the crappy tire callipers I have but it should be close enough I think.

Might have to get out down 527 tomorrow and see if I can find any tracks and maybe get lucky and bag a bird or two.

EDIT: Went into the bush behind my place to set up a test snare (was not going to leave it) and I think the wire might be too thin. When I was setting it up something started sniffing really loud, could of been skunk so I backed up a bit and never seen anything or heard anything else.

I also found a frozen solid bluejay in the bush too along with dog, cat, rabbit and squirrel tracks.

eyelander
Mr. LeClair to the rescue as usual :) Thank you for the video.

You just have a simple loop on the end of the wire?

Hmmm, I just remembered I have a bunch of scrap Cat5 cable. Luckily for me it is 24 gauge copper wire too, so I got my snaring material. I shall have to give it a try.

:lol: you stripped a bunch of CAT5 wire, that stuff is very tight twisted. You sure have time on your hands.

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

I got some different stuff that wasn't Cat5, so it wasn't in twisted pairs, was still a pain in the buttock to strip and only got enough for like 3-4 snares. I also managed to stab my thumb with the end piece on the loop, went in nice and deep :D

I don't think I am going to strip any more, takes too long. A nice thick power cable with 22-24 gauge cable strands would be nice though, peel off the insulating out layer and some a nice bundle of snare wire.

I honestly don't think this cable will work. If I make the snare and use my hand to simulate a rabbit it isn't that hard to break it.

I think I need to find some better cable. I noticed that crappy tire sells some but it is stainless steel and the regulations doesn't stay you can use it. It is 22 gauge stainless steel wire, 10.4M for 4 bucks.

RLK
I honestly don't think this cable will work. If I make the snare and use my hand to simulate a rabbit it isn't that hard to break it.

I think I need to find some better cable. I noticed that crappy tire sells some but it is stainless steel and the regulations doesn't stay you can use it. It is 22 gauge stainless steel wire, 10.4M for 4 bucks.

Why don't you just buy some snare wire?

Well that is what that stuff is, it is stainless steel snare wire but the regulations say nothing about being able to use stainless steel.

eyelander

No, its copper wire, available probably at DnR or even CTC.

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Some Old Guy

Hi Nonus,

Go to the "picture hanging section" They have the brass wire there or dnr has it.

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Yeah just read about picture hanging wire, I think I have some downstairs too I am sure no one will be sad if it happens to go missing :)

Bah, just looked and it was not brass/copper. However the spool had an 80cents price tag on it, so pretty cheap.

Thefishleclair

Go to wally world...they have it or D&R.......Quit messin with anything other then the brass wire, Copper breaks to easy, Go with the heavy gauge brass. Rabbits are dumb and the thin stuff sucks.

Ill be running a snare line soon, Maybe even when I come home, Ill show you then how to set snares and even make some if ya want.

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

Sounds cool.

Was thinking of just buying some picture wire stuff and making a bunch of snare loops and then attaching them to a tree with some cord.

Mr. Canoehead

I went out twice last winter. The first time I set 3 snares on the same trail and got one in the third snare. That was fun. I'm planning on going again this year. Of course the rabbit was fast/easy to prepare. The wire is available at Canadian Tire and Gear Up for Outdoors, and the snares are reusable so worth the extra money. I'm planning on going again this year. I'll share a couple tips from a friend of mine who showed me how:

Find a well worn trail through thick brush or on well packed trails in deep snow. The deeper the snow, the more they always follow the same trail, however if you're good you can snare them with no snow (look for droppings and food crumbs).

Place a strong stick above and across the trail to attach the snare, or choose a spot with an existing stick or log

Be humane and hang the snare high enough so it won't catch a foot, place little twigs in the ground sticking up a couple inches below the snare so the bunny will raise it's head (worked for me)

Place the snare at a place where the trail is constricted and place extra sticks around the edges to force the rabbit to go directly through the snare at the last moment

cheers

John

Chuck

Crappie Tire has the original snare wire ..22 ga but at$ 4.50 a roll ....crappie... I remember it use to be .50c Just remember don't make the snares bigger than your fist Nothing any worse than hearing them bawl like babies my friend give up hunting because of that

Git "er done

Hmm I bought the 20 gauge stuff from D&R for less than 5 bucks total.

Have 6 snares set up and after the first two days, nothing. Hopefully there will be something there tomorrow.

As for bigger than hare snaring we shall see how The Mad Trapper (fishleclair) does.

Thefishleclair
Crappie Tire has the original snare wire ..22 ga but at$ 4.50 a roll ....crappie... I remember it use to be .50c Just remember don't make the snares bigger than your fist Nothing any worse than hearing them bawl like babies my friend give up hunting because of that

Yes I seen many people get turned off of hunting because of bawlin rabbits!!! Nonus I hope them other snares have some critters in it!!

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB