• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Resource Pimp

Slaughter on Shebandowan

Resource Pimp

Depressing pictures, but thats nature. Must have happened last night or this morning as the tracks were not there yesterday. The deer made it across Shelter Bay befor being taken down . Those of you with camps out here keep an eye on your dogs if out for the holidays.

post-503-1261163069_thumb.jpg

post-503-1261163102_thumb.jpg

post-503-1261163230_thumb.jpg

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Click on banner to visit

Bedas Lodge.

bedaslogo.jpg

Thefishleclair
Depressing pictures, but thats nature. Must have happened last night or this morning as the tracks were not there yesterday. The deer made it across Shelter Bay befor being taken down . Those of you with camps out here keep an eye on your dogs if out for the holidays.

Thats How they do it!!! Looks like some wolf huntin in Shab is in Order this winter, Once they are around they are always around!

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

Some Old Guy

Actually that's pretty cool to see! The food chain was, is and forever will work like that!

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Monks

Looks fine to me. I often wonder why people hat wolves so much?

Buck 120

I do not think people hate wolves, it is just jealousy or competetiveness for hunting. As a hunter I have seen wolves in the wild but I will not shoot what I don't eat. I think they are beautiful animals. On the other hand I know many people that will not hesitate to shoot them, tag or no tag.

Not just a 3 month season but a 12 month obsession!!!

Guest Patch

This year while stand hunting for deer, a pack of 4 wolves went by the stand. I thought, "Well I might as well leave, there won't be a deer around here now".

I decided to stay and a little over an hour later, shot my deer. Go figure.

Jayfishin

I was out for a nice sit on stand in mid november. Had a pack hollowing just before dusk. No deer walked by me though. The next day a friend up in the same area came across a 12pt half eaten in a cut nearby. I have seen alot of bear and wolf sign out in the bush this fall. Some of the wolf tracks I saw tracking deer were hugh!

I have had some conversions this fall regarding populations which end up with some disagreement regarding deer and moose numbers this fall. Around town there are still lots, if not more than ever, deer, but once you move into the big bush I think last winter and the predators are decreasing both the deer and moose populations in atleast in WMU 13.

Any thoughts to add?

Jay

Guest shooter

That's awesome!!! Like Roger said it's part of the food chain. I remember a few years back a pack of wolves took down a big bull on the lake we were ice fishing on...wolves are incredible hunters!!

Thefishleclair
I do not think people hate wolves, it is just jealousy or competetiveness for hunting. As a hunter I have seen wolves in the wild but I will not shoot what I don't eat. I think they are beautiful animals. On the other hand I know many people that will not hesitate to shoot them, tag or no tag.

I think wolves are a more challanging quarry then Deer, Try sneeking up on one. I trap and Im targeting some wolves now, Seems to be a decent pack out where I am and I plan on taking a few out of the pack. Its not going to put a dent in the popul;ation. As for those who shot a wolf just to shot and let it spoil in the bush thats wrong, If ya shot it take it for its fur. And apperently wolf tastes not to bad either.

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

Some Old Guy

I don't hunt so maybe my opinion doesn't count for much.

Wolves are just as much a part of the wild as anything. If hunters believe that wolves put a dent in the moose/deer population then, as far as I'm concerned that we would never know what a moose or deer would look like as the wolves would have killed them off hundreds of years ago. Just look at the old mentality of killing pike as they eat the walleye. Leave them alone and you have a healthy walleye population.

I think the worst things that we humans do is think we can individually mannage a wildlife population better than mother nature can. Sure as we develope lands and take up space we have to consider habitat for all wildlife.

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Monks

I was hoping my previous leading response would go this way. Thanks Roger great reply. And you are exactly right whether you hunt or not. I was getting tired of some other sites trying to blame the "Wolf" for our management mishaps. Nature manages us, we only manipulate it to suit our needs.

Glad to see some open minded opinions here, on some great photos, and nature keeping itself in check.

Resource Pimp

I have come across a few wolf kills in my day,mostly empty rib cages and I never knew how long they were dead or how many days the wolves were feeding on them.

What amazes me about this one is the thoroughness and speed of their kill and feed. I had been right at that spot the evening before and there was nothing...than before noon the next day I come across the carnage and there was nothing left but the hide with lower legs. I searched the perimeter looking for drag marks of the rib cage and neck/head hopeing to maybe find antlers if any..........no drag marks, just a lot of wolf tracks. The wolves were big enough to carry off what was left.

A neighbor of mine talked to a couple guys on sleds sunday who told him they seen a pack of 4 wolves on the ice, one being a very large black wolf.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Click on banner to visit

Bedas Lodge.

bedaslogo.jpg

Thefishleclair

A Black wold is indeed a great trophy to get....Just as good as a 10 Point Buck!!!

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

seppi

Be careful what you wish for people,I love animals and the right to their way of lives ,but along with over population of these #1 predators comes disease ,showing up in areas of concern,highway ...homes ...pets ..ect!!! By all means I'm not saying slaughter everyone of them ....but they must be keeped in check ! For when they run out of food in the wild they will find your small child ,dog ,cat or your garbage a very good source of protein !!!!

Seppi .....and that's one outdoorsman's opinion !!!! :mellow::mellow:

So we shouldn't fear zombies we should fear wolves?

./me arms up for anti-wolf patrol.

However seriously, too much of anything is a bad thing.

Guest cuzzinolaf
So we shouldn't fear zombies we should fear wolves?

./me arms up for anti-wolf patrol.

However seriously, too much of anything is a bad thing.

WOLVES are creatures of habit! Dont wait till your kids or dogs are gone! SMOKE A PACK A DAY!!

post-756-1261547589_thumb.jpg

Gone8to1248

Interesting thread here. How is it that nobody has brought up or asked if these skeletons and kills that are found in the bush were actully caused by wild animals and not man himself? Could it be these animals were shot with either a gun or a bow and they wandered off and either died on thier own or just became an easy meal for another animal? Lots of possibilty's on that one.

Man doesn't need to hunt for food because we can just go to a store and buy our food. Animals on the other hand DO live off the land as they have for thousands of years. As Roger stated if they just killed for the sense of killing we would never have seen a moose or a deer, yet we have so to say that wolves,bears,coyotes and other such hunters can and will decimate the wilds. These animals have walked the land since the beginning of time and have managed to survive what ever we have thrown at them or done to thier natural habitat. We build our homes in the areas that animals live in and then expect the animals to stay away on thier own. That would kind of be the same as putting a steak dinner in front of a starving man and telling him "now don't eat that meal". We go into the animals backyard to hunt and we expect them to stay away? I think there is something wrong with that picture.

As an avid hunter for many years I still enjoy going out tracking animals and watching them and still like to shoot them, but only with a camera anymore. I enjoy being able to go out in my yard when the wild turky's and deer are walking around feeding on the acorns from my oak trees and having the fox each spring come into my yard and set-up thier dens with thier young ones. There are many mornnings when I look out the window and watch the interactions of the different animals I have in my yard. Fox and cats eating out of the same dish's. the raccoons that come down to the house in the summer and fall evennings to get something to eat, with my cats sitting right there alonside of them. They all seem to get along just fine without any help from me or any other human as far as that goes. These are all wild animals so I don't touch them or allow others who come down to see them, even though they will walk right up to you and sit down. They are wild and will stay that way.

Each year there are stories in the paper and on TV down here aout packs or families of coyotes being seen and filmed laying in peoples yards sleeping and not bothering anyone or thier pets and that is in Chicago! When I lived up there and worked nights many times on my way home I would see them walking down major streets and roads on thier way from the park preserves to the big office buildings that had cooling ponds and geese in them to get a meal. They had learnned to live amongst us yet we haven't learnned how to live amongst them.

All I can say is the next time your out in the bush and you find a skeleton, before you jump to any conclussions on what happenned just think of different scenarios of what really MIGHT have happenned. Was it wounded by a hunter and got away to lay down and die? Did it just die of old age or some other natural sickness? OR did a predator bring it down to feed it's family?

gone8to1248

Resource Pimp

Bernie, you bring up valid point. No doubt they seek out the weak and injured prey first as they are an easy kill. But they are cunning killing machines and are fully capable of bringing down a perfectly healthy deer or moose.

Now, I can't say with any certainty that the deer in my pics was a healthy, uninjured animal, but the sprinting tracks across the lake to where it was takin indicate a healthy deer to me. They probably ran him for miles and tired him.........once they got him on the ice with barely an inch of snow it was game over.

Disney shows don't paint the real picture when they show wolves catching and eating mice. I personally think with all the wilderness here, we don't see or come across a fraction of what they take. They gotta eat and mice are barely a snack.

Click on banner to visit

Bedas Lodge.

bedaslogo.jpg

Bear

I was talking to a C/O here in Kenora recently. He says the wolf population has exploded, consequently we are seeing them in the city chasing and killing deer. A wolf pack needs to kill and eat one deer a day to survive. Amazing isnt it.

On our last trip out hunting, we came across a fresh kill. A four point buck had been consumed by wolves. They ate right up to his ears and he was picked clean. The temperatures overnight were in the -28C range, so the remaining meat should have been frozed if it had been out all night. When I checked the bit of meat on the neck, it was still thawed, and actually fairly warm to the touch. It makes me wonder how fast the pack comsumes that deer. I think we may have scared the pack off as we drove into the cut. They are wary hunters and living in nature, they have to eat too. I just wish they would take the hunting season off.

Seeing as were discussing predators, I wonder if the decline in our local moose population has anything to do with, amongst other things, the cancellation of the spring bear hunt. I wonder how many calf moose and fawn deer are consumed by hungry bears.

BB

Guest bearattack79

This is an amazing thing to see, natural things like this are becoming very rare in most parts of the world. This makes me really appreciate the wild north we live in.