• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Buck 120

Cougar in town - Alice Avenue

Buck 120

I have a friend that lives on Alice Avenue, she saw a cougar in her yard in January. She took pictures of the tracks but they were not very clear as it has snowed. She contacted the MNR, spoke to a Conservation Officer and Biologist. She was told that the MNR would come out to investigate and set up trail cameras, etc. Since then they have not shown up, had contact or set up trail cameras.

Now one of my co-worker's that also lives on Alice Avenue saw a cougar in her yard TODAY at lunch time, shortly after bringing her dog in from outside. She said she saw the cougar in a crouched, pouncing position. She saw its face clearly, then it turned and she saw the side image of its body with a very long tail. She clearly identified it as a cougar.

The friend that saw the cougar today, will take some pictures of the tracks. Her husband is a hunter, he will likely set up a trail camera. Maybe they will be lucky enough to catch an image of the animal.

Sure makes you wonder if the MNR really WANTS to find evidence of cougars. What motive would the MNR have not to investigate this?

Maybe it requires Thunder Bay Television News to bring the issue out in the open?

Unfortunately it will probably take a family pet or small child attacked to have any investigation into the matter, reactive vs proactive!!!

I am not saying we need a possee to go get the animal as it has not posed any more danger than bears or wolves in the area. It would be nice to have the MNR acknowledge that they exist here!!!

Not just a 3 month season but a 12 month obsession!!!

Buck 120

I just spoke to another co-worker that that lives on Broadway avenue and he had a cougar in his back yard last night, seen after bringing their dog in.

Guest shooter

I spoke with a older man and his wife on tuesday and they saw it out there kitchen window while they were eating supper. I believe it now...

Buck 120

Shooter, was it in the Alice Avenue area?

Castnblast

that pretty crazy, I`m not saying I don`t believe what your co-workers are telling, but what are the odds of 2 people you work with, spotting cougars in 2 different areas of town. I`d buy a lottery ticket asap.

...if it is true, sounds like it won`t be long till someone snaps a pic.

Travis Schallock
that pretty crazy, I`m not saying I don`t believe what your co-workers are telling, but what are the odds of 2 people you work with, spotting cougars in 2 different areas of town. I`d buy a lottery ticket asap.

...if it is true, sounds like it won`t be long till someone snaps a pic.

If there is one around there are likely several. They are rare to see even where they are well established. I grew up hunting and fishing in BC and Alberta and have never seen one, or even a track. And I know they were in the area.

Travis Schallock

Nakina Fish and Game Club - President

Buck 120

Hopefully my coworker will snap a pic of the track and I will post it.

Buck 120

North, near the powerlines.

fisherdude

close to my area...mayb il go do some investigating tonight with camera in hand! also a buddy on my hockey team lives on alice il ask him if hes seen anything.

Guest Donny

It would be nice to see a few photos of this elusive cat.

This is just my opinion, but I believe they are around and have been for a long time.

Guest Ottis
It would be nice to see a few photos of this elusive cat.

This is just my opinion, but I believe they are around and have been for a long time.

From what I understand, there is a lot of evidence to suggest they are in Ontario but it's difficult to discern genetically whether they are released pets or are the real mccoy. I've heard from s. america to n. america there isn't a lot of genetic difference in the cat.

It's funny to think people would have them as pets but I was at a tall ships fesitval in port colborne, on a few years back and someone had a bobcat in a stroller and was yelling at it for misbehaving and trying to get out.

WEIRD :blink:

Guest lacman
I have a friend that lives on Alice Avenue, she saw a cougar in her yard in January. She took pictures of the tracks but they were not very clear as it has snowed. She contacted the MNR, spoke to a Conservation Officer and Biologist. She was told that the MNR would come out to investigate and set up trail cameras, etc. Since then they have not shown up, had contact or set up trail cameras.

Now one of my co-worker's that also lives on Alice Avenue saw a cougar in her yard TODAY at lunch time, shortly after bringing her dog in from outside. She said she saw the cougar in a crouched, pouncing position. She saw its face clearly, then it turned and she saw the side image of its body with a very long tail. She clearly identified it as a cougar.

The friend that saw the cougar today, will take some pictures of the tracks. Her husband is a hunter, he will likely set up a trail camera. Maybe they will be lucky enough to catch an image of the animal.

Sure makes you wonder if the MNR really WANTS to find evidence of cougars. What motive would the MNR have not to investigate this?

Maybe it requires Thunder Bay Television News to bring the issue out in the open?

Unfortunately it will probably take a family pet or small child attacked to have any investigation into the matter, reactive vs proactive!!!

I am not saying we need a possee to go get the animal as it has not posed any more danger than bears or wolves in the area. It would be nice to have the MNR acknowledge that they exist here!!!

I wonder why the MNR won't respond to this?

Travis Schallock

It seems they won't respond to any of the tough questions.

Travis Schallock

Nakina Fish and Game Club - President

Guest bearattack79

I want to believe this, and it would make sence that they live here.

I live out in the bush and have seen LOTS of lynx the past few years, especially this winter. (Pike lake road)

Lynx trax can look very large especially after a bit of snow melt. But the lynx trax are on the surface, and dont sink in. Im convinced I had a couger on my property. The paw trax went about a foot down in the snow due to the weight of the animal, the stride matched a couger according to my book but had no tail marks in the snow.?.?.?.?

MNR gets a large volume of bogus couger calls, it sucks for those who are honest about the encounters.

Buck 120

Canine vs. Feline

or

Dog vs. Cat

What kind of track is it?

This is an interesting site to use to try and differentiate between the tracks.

http://www.bear-tracker.com/caninevsfeline.html

Guest Donny
From what I understand, there is a lot of evidence to suggest they are in Ontario but it's difficult to discern genetically whether they are released pets or are the real mccoy. I've heard from s. america to n. america there isn't a lot of genetic difference in the cat.

It's funny to think people would have them as pets but I was at a tall ships fesitval in port colborne, on a few years back and someone had a bobcat in a stroller and was yelling at it for misbehaving and trying to get out.

WEIRD :blink:

No kidding, yelling at the cat for misbehaving is just plain wrong, these animals should never be domesticated and especially with kids around them.

Not my idea of a pet.

Buck 120

Do you live on Alice, Chopper?

Guest Ottis
pics from my back door

I've seen those pictures before. The one is appariently taken in Wyoming. Here's a link and a quote from a article:

The photos Mr. Flood was alluding to -- of a black-eyed cougar baring its teeth outside a house window -- were taken in 2005 in the backyard of optometrist Dave Rodgers in Lander, Wyo. There are lots of cougars in Wyoming. "It's just a bummer that they're kind of getting stolen by other people," Mr. Rodgers says. The same pictures have circulated in at least five other states and one Canadian province as "proof" of local cougars.

http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http...%26tbs%3Disch:1

GC 54

Chopper, you're BUSTED! :P:P:P

George Clark of TEAM CLARK

FIELD STAFF FOR TEAM SHIMANO PRO STAFF FOR D & R SPORTING GOODS PRO STAFF FOR LUND BOATS
Proudly Supported By: G.LOOMIS JACKALL POWER PRO NORTH COUNTRY CYCLE & SPORTS Treasurer of: Thunder Bay BASSmasters

Buck 120

Yes, this is a serious discussion, please!

Guest mfishing0

i know first hand we have cougers in this area ran into to them in to sperate occasions while drive up the atikokan hwy just past swap river . first time i was coming home from fishing saw it on the side of the road mom with 2 babies long curled tale . second time same hwy not 100% sure couger but sure looked like it ran across the hwy .

Guest TerryK

Cougars are very common in the area. Just poke your head into just about any dark cave-like building with music coming from it and lo and behold, cougars galore!

Seriously, about 4 years ago, in broad daylight I saw a cougar cross the road I was working on, not 50 meters away. I spent the next two weeks looking over my shoulder! lol

brookiebuster

I saw 2 in one night while coming back from fishing.One down Maki bay road it ran and stopped right in frount of the truck then ran,and another one running accross dawson road my macs milk!

"Whack em' and stack em',kill em' and grill em'" Ted Nugent