• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Trevor Zimak

Protest in Fort Frances

Garbie

I thought the year 2000 was the year to cut it off, apparently not. I am all in favor of paying them all $1,000,000 each to buy them out, how long will it take for that money to be directly be back in the economy, sure beats flying pizza hut and and KFC up to the "traditional lands". I don't want to be a dick, but pretty sure you haven't seen what I have seen.

Guest lacman
I thought the year 2000 was the year to cut it off, apparently not. I am all in favor of paying them all $1,000,000 each to buy them out, how long will it take for that money to be directly be back in the economy, sure beats flying pizza hut and and KFC up to the "traditional lands". I don't want to be a dick, but pretty sure you haven't seen what I have seen.

Agreed. Pay whatever it takes to buy them out once and for all. Might be expensive, but it would be worth it in the long haul and hopefully would end most of the crap we are seeing like this.

I don't like that the law applies to me, but not to them. I'll be calling my MP's and letting them know how I feel.

Guest Smack Um

You can see more about this issue on this You Tube.... {Road to Nowhere for Couchiching First Nations}

Smack Um

WalleyeWayne

We have a cottage on Bears Pass, about 20 miles this side of Fort Frances. We regularly go into the Fort to visit family so this is going to be a definite concern for us. With the toll, the Noden Causeway (close to a 3/4 mile long) will be backed up for at least that length and with no where to go for those stopped on the causeway, you can bet people are going to boil - literally and figuratively. When they eventually get across the bridge and approach the toll, what kind of mood do you think these people will be in? The band has every right to contest what they believe to be wrong or an injustice...but that's what the court system is for. The court system may be long, drawn out and not work the way you like it to, but is that news to anyone??? The rest of us deal with that because that is the process. The toll can be circumvented by going around Fort Frances altogether (take the Dryden cut-off 15 miles before you reach the Noden Causeway) to Dryden, up to Kenora and then come back down HWY #71 to Emo. Undoubtedly transport truck will begin to avoid that route through the Fort completely and many businesses will begin to suffer because people will refuse to go that route. This situation has the potential to become ugly very quickly!

Spectre

If someone goes through the toll booth in the morning or early afternoon can you maybe post on here if you "have" to pay the toll or not and how the lineup is? Leaving Tbay after work to go to Fort and would be helpful to know what to expect.... Thanks

Fees were set last night:

http://www.fftimes.com/node/233637

tracker

I would presume that if the First Nations are charging a fee than they are assuming all responsibility with the highway and any infrastructures (bridges, culverts etc...) that are on their land. I will need to hire an accountant to figure how much I will sell the portion of the highway that my tax dollars paid for to build and maintain it so I can sell it back to the First Nations.

Tracker

Team NOSA Homepage

Born to Fish, Forced to Work

<')(((((>{

wampa
If someone goes through the toll booth in the morning or early afternoon can you maybe post on here if you "have" to pay the toll or not and how the lineup is? Leaving Tbay after work to go to Fort and would be helpful to know what to expect.... Thanks

Fees were set last night:

http://www.fftimes.com/node/233637

You do not HAVE to pay the fee. They can not force you or stop you from using a PUBLIC HIGHWAY.

Never hold your farts in.

They travel up your spine into your brain, and that is where crappy ideas come from.

Spectre
You do not HAVE to pay the fee. They can not force you or stop you from using a PUBLIC HIGHWAY.

Yes, while i don't doubt that fact and in no way will i be paying. Theories and rumours are one thing and what actually will be happening is another. Hopefully by the time I get there whatever is gonna happen has happened and things are back to "normal" or close to it...

WalleyeWayne

I sure hope our government is going to charge them HST on the toll money collected! :lol:

Guest adams

Totally inappropriate. Stick to the issue of the toll booth. This post should be deleted.

POST WAS DELETED BY MODERATOR

Guest Jonesy

The racist comments on here are quite disturbing. (POST WAS REMOVED) Charging a buck for people using a road built through there land in which they were never compensated seems like a fair way to protest. I don't think they will be doing this for a long time, but it sure has everyone talking and looking at their issue. Seems like they are achieving what they intended.

Guest Spinnerbait

I think this topic gets most of us a little hot on the collar in many ways but by them charging this toll they are only hurting themselves even more and whatever support they did have. I will not pay it as who knows where the funds will end up?

If I'm going to throw a loonie away I might as well donate it to a worthy cause like the kids sports teams hanging outside the malls.

Chuck

Okay I thought that I might have been a little Rude with my last post But .......Anytime I had a problem that had to be dealt with in the court system there was a (Statute of Limitations).....HELLO,,,, What ever the so called forefathers put down on paper in the fricckin 1600s might have been a good idea at that time but ...... they were Frenchmen, Hell yes I woulda signed the paper also.... give ya all the land as far as you can imigine we probably won"t be back anyways ....well that was a really bad investment.... But to hold taxpayers at ransom by blockading the Hwy ??? Sorrta like buying gas this weekend, (Ransom) they know that your going to go, doesn't matter the price. I seem to have a problem with that one,,, I'm a frenchman too but I have to pay and pay and pay.... Oh you bought that quad ,boat, house and truck and didn"t pay tax??? Good 4 u... Hmmm :glare:

That's all I gotta say bout that Could be my last post

Git "er done

levi64

I don't know, I think Chuck is right. Also blocking a public highway is illegal and should not be tolerated.. Sort it out in the courts.. I do feel for the natives and they should be given a million each and end this suffering of the tax payer....

Spectre

Just went through the toll booth. You stop and she says it'll cost you $1. I said, I have heard this is a public highway and i won't be paying the toll. She said that is fine and that Treaty 3 will be sending me a trespass notice in the mail... So i continued on and there were OPP officers in the truck load check spot so i stopped and asked them about it. Said how can it be legal for them to block a provincial highway, all they would say is "We are just here to keep the peace". I also asked what if anything will come of the trespass notice. They said that is in the hands of Treaty 3 and max fine is $110... so whether or not anything comes of that i dont know...

Guest Captian Big-D
Just went through the toll booth. You stop and she says it'll cost you $1. I said, I have heard this is a public highway and i won't be paying the toll. She said that is fine and that Treaty 3 will be sending me a trespass notice in the mail... So i continued on and there were OPP officers in the truck load check spot so i stopped and asked them about it. Said how can it be legal for them to block a provincial highway, all they would say is "We are just here to keep the peace". I also asked what if anything will come of the trespass notice. They said that is in the hands of Treaty 3 and max fine is $110... so whether or not anything comes of that i dont know...

The answer you received from the OPP seems like a textbook copout(please pardon the pun). Good for you for not paying. I wouldn't either. What was the traffic back up like?

Captain Big-D

Spectre
The answer you received from the OPP seems like a textbook copout(please pardon the pun). Good for you for not paying. I wouldn't either. What was the traffic back up like?

Captain Big-D

Going into Fort Frances there was no line at all. Leaving town towards Tbay there was maybe 10 - 15 car lineup... Not sure what to make of the trespass notice that is apparantly coming though

Chuck

Okay.... so maybe my last post might have been a little inapropiate (unsure If spelt it rite) but we all have to live on a tiny planet...pay your rent... buy yer house contribute to the well being to your local community....have kids that you are proud of.... but me jumping infront of yer car and saying you owe me ???... PALEEESE

By the way

If looks like chit an smells like chit it could possibly be chit

Git "er done

uncle

I am confused as to how this works. After the poor season for winter roads we are paying for more all weather roads so the Northern reserves are less isolated and freight costs are minimized. Was this ever the case for Couchiching? Are the Northern reserves going to put up toll booths when they want attention? And if it is an information type protest why are they threatening travellers who refuse to pay with tresspass notices and a possible $110.00 fine? I think both sides have to sit down and discuss what each other wants and what they are prepared to do, and put away this hastily fabricated, attention grabbing toll booth.

Trevor Zimak

Well... put the boat in the water to go out for a Friday night fish and it took over a minute to get on plan and only running max 4900rpm. How the hell you put the boat in the garage for 4 days and then fire it up and it doesn't work beats the hell out of me.

Anyways, ended up going to for a ride to Fort Saturday morning to get it fixed and sure enough they were set up and charging people to get through. I was they are 8:30AM and there were six cars in front of me (only b/c I think the first guy was arguing with the kid at the toll). With that being said I went through, paid my dollar and was on my way to Pinewood to get my motor fixed.

Got to Pinewood... No mechanic.... Awesome... 2.5 hour drive from shebs and no mechanic. It was a blessing that two other guys from Missouri showed up with opti issues and between the three of us we got Pinewood to call in a mechanic for us. (That and some bribing) Turned out a lost a coil and was running on 5 cylinders. (which I figured)

Anyways 12:15ish got back to the toll and there were about 4 trucks going through on both sides again. Gave the guy 10 dimes and was on my way. He gave me some bullsh!t letter to send to Ottawa to ask for my dollar back.

On that note I figure their making at least $8,000 - $10,000 a day with the traffic coming through there.

Heres a photo.

post-56-1274736353_thumb.jpg

GC 54

Hey Zimmer, sitting behind that boat must have weighed heavy on your mind. ........do I sell the ProCraft and get a family boat?...... decisions, decisions :P

George Clark of TEAM CLARK

FIELD STAFF FOR TEAM SHIMANO PRO STAFF FOR D & R SPORTING GOODS PRO STAFF FOR LUND BOATS
Proudly Supported By: G.LOOMIS JACKALL POWER PRO NORTH COUNTRY CYCLE & SPORTS Treasurer of: Thunder Bay BASSmasters

Trevor Zimak

C'mon Georgie, don't you know your Lunds??? That is a Crestliner.

Some Old Guy

ZING!!!!!

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Bear

The Zimak clan in a family sedan.........

BB