• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Rick

Type of Boats

Guest Rick

Just wondering what the is the average that guys are running up there. Down here in S. Ontario its mostly Bass rigs but I would imagine because of the fluctuating levels and rock conditions of your northrn lakes, maybe tin is more popular. Reason I'm asking, is because I've been looking for some time at another bass rig, ust not sure now with moving up there. Any tips? Tahnks

Rick

Some Old Guy

Either or is fine up here if you plan on using maintained launches.

The reason smaller aluminium boats are popular here as there are many lakes that require you to drive down roads you wouldn't even think of bring a trailered expensive rig down. Many of the roads are 4x4 only.

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Bill Arnott

I think a deepV aluminum would leave your options open when you move to the area. You can add downriggers etc and they are a little more versatile. Not that you can't run a bass boat on Superior but I'll take the deepV for getting home safely.

The most common rig you'll see up here is a 14ft tinny with a 9.9 - 15hp. A 16 with a 25 or so being the next most popular. You see more & more in the 16 - 18 foot range now than years past with engines ranging from 50- 150 and up.

A lot more bass boat owners in the Fort Frances / Kenora area. They do have a little bit bigger waterbodies on average with better ramps.

>Bill

CRESTINER BOATS SMITHS RV BRENNEN FORD THUNDERBAYFISHING.COM

Monks

My thoughts are 17-18 ft aluminum boat is ideal, with a 90 hp and up depending on your boat set up. Lots of gravel roads to travel, rocky shorelines to stop for shore lunch etc., and just all round more versatile for these waters if you want to be a multi-species fisherman. If just bass is your game fiberglass bass boat is fine. I can get my 17.5 ft aluminum ranger in a lot of rough launches and it still handles superior and nipigon well, and moves along pretty good.

However Rick on a selfish note I think you should by another bass boat with a big engine so you and I can fish rainy lake and lake of the woods together for some tournaments, and then use my boat for the local lakes. ;)

Look forward to meeting you at the next BASS tournamnent.

Kyle

Guest Rick

Thanks Bill, I would imagine it gets pretty rough up there, as Erie does down here. Had my 22ftr out a couple times in tournies with 6-8 ftrs and not fun!!!

Monks, love that thought!!lol Thats what I was lookin for! On a more selfish note, I would love to have BOTH, but just convincing the other half to move up there is like sitting a jig on the nose of a 6lb largie on a nest and she's staring back at ya sayin"you want me to do what"?LMAO

Thanks for the comeback guys