• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

tna0066

Guns in Minnesota

tna0066

I was just wondering if anyone knew what the store requires to buy a rifle in minnesota. I already know what I have to do once i were to get the the canadian border...I just know that gun prices are a lot cheaper there. Any help would be great. Thank you

Buck 120

I am pretty sure you must be a Minnesota or US resident. It may be different if you buy privately. Might want to check at the border before considering a purchase in the USA. Also if you buy privately and get pulled over in the US you could be in a mess of trouble. Worth checking out the rules.

Not just a 3 month season but a 12 month obsession!!!

huntnfish

We looked into this a couple of years ago. Border staff said that its not a problem bringing a firearm across the border as long as you have a valid PAL. They said the firearm would have to stay at the border until the registration process is complete. The also told us "good luck" getting somebody down there to sell you a firearm. We asked at a couple of stores in Duluth about selling firearms to Canadians and they said they can't sell firearms to Canadians.

mooboy76

I've seen this question a lot on other forums. I haven't had any experience buying one from the US, but I've read some info on it.

Here is the information from our Government

Originally Posted by Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada

http://www.dfait-maeci.gc.ca/controls-cont...x.aspx?lang=eng

Q1. I want to buy a firearm from the US and have it sent to me in Canada.

A1. Any holder of a valid Possession and Acquisition Licence (PAL) may import a restricted or non-restricted firearm, depending on the limitations of their PAL. However, the US control the export of most firearms (antiques and muzzle-loaders are not controlled for export) and the US must issue an export licence to the American exporter. Prior to issuing this licence the US government requires that the Canadian importer present a document from Canada allowing this proposed transaction. To satisfy that US requirement Canadian residents may apply for an International Import Certificate (IIC).

The following steps are involved;

1. have the US seller identify the exporter - the US government requires that this exporter be a Federal Firearms Licenced (FFL) gun dealer for most exports. In many cases the US seller is an FFL dealer.

2. apply to International Trade Canada (ITCan) for an International Import Certificate (IIC) by calling (613) 996-2387 or by faxing your request to (613) 996-9933 and requesting blank application forms. Once completed, the form should be returned to ITCan for processing and certification. Expect this process to take 2-3 weeks. The certified document will then be returned to the applicant for onward delivery to the US exporter. There is no charge for the IIC.

3. pre-register the firearm through the Canada Firearms Centre. Pre-registration allows the importer to clear the firearm through the Canada Border Service Agency without any undue delay.

4. the US exporter will attach their copy of the IIC to their application for an export licence. In the US, applications for shotguns are administered by the Department of Commerce and for all other firearms are administered by the Department of State.

5. once the US export licence is issued the US exporter may then send the firearm to Canada.

6. the Canadian importer is responsible for declaring the value of the firearm to Canada Customs and for ensuring that all safe storage and safe transportation regulations are observed.

7. within 30 days of arrival in Canada, the importer must have the firearm verified and such verification confirmed with the Canada Firearms Centre.

Q2. I want to go to the US and buy a firearm and return with it to Canada.

A2. The US passed new legislation in February 2003 which makes it illegal for a ‘non-resident alien’ to come into possession of a firearm in the US. This does not apply to antiques or muzzle-loading firearms, nor does it apply to Canadians with legal residency in the US or to US citizens, regardless of their residency. A Canadian may purchase a firearm in the US but cannot take possession of it, nor can they export it from the US. The only legal method is to come back to Canada and follow the steps in Question 1 (above).

There are companies that will arrange all of these things for you - Questar, Dave's Sport Shop, and Prophet River are three that I've heard of.

There are fees for getting the export/import permits in place ~$250 from what I've read (depending on the FFL exporter). It could take a few weeks or more to get the rifle, but if it' a really good deal you still might be ahead even with the extra fees and shipping.

If you go down and personally buy one to bring back without following these steps (some places might actually sell you one), you will be in violation of US export laws and could end up in a heap of trouble. As a Canadian citizen (or non-resident alien as they say), I wouldn't want to be caught illegally exporting firearms or ammunition from the US. I don't think we'd be granted the same rights there as we are here.

Like I said earlier, I have zero experience actually doing this - so I'd contact the Canadian Border Services or the US guys (listed below)

US Department of State - Directorate of Defense Trade Controls

http://www.pmddtc.state.gov/about/contact_information.html

General InformationOffice Hours: 8:15 AM - 5:00 PM

Receptionist: (202) 663-2980

General Fax: (202) 261-8199

Registration/Compliance Fax: (202) 261-8695

Licensing Fax (Please visit the Key Personnel Web page)

Response Team

Contact the Response Team for all general Inquiries.

Telephone: (202) 663-1282

Fax: (202) 261-8199

E-mail: DDTCResponseTeam@state.gov

Good luck!

CSSA Member

CCFR Member