• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Happyjack

Minn Kota V2 problem

Happyjack

Folks: I have recently purchased a used V2 55lb bow mount motor. It is the best thing I have ever bolted to my boat so far! The problem I have is it is extremely difficult to deploy - the brackets that hold it are very tight. By looking at the owner's manual I cannot see any way to adjust them. Does anyone else have the same problem? If so, what can be done to loosen the grip the base brackets have on the power head? When I release the hook that holds the motor on the base I practically need to hammer the power head off.

Thanks in advance

Scotty

Some Old Guy

You shouldn't have to hammer on it. Pull up on the electric motor casing while pushing the shaft and it should deploy easier.

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Bear

Scotty

Its Bruce from Milt's Rod and reel in Kenora. I am an authorized Service Center for Minn Kota. Here is a possible solution.

Buy some Armour All cloth wipes and coat the brackets and the lower casing of the motor along with the shaft. That usually helps it slide off the rest. If that does not work, check the cleanance between the gearcase and the aluminum mounting bracket when it is in the stowed psoition. There should be some clearance there. If not take it to a service center and have them repair it.

Good luck.

Bruce

Happyjack

Thanks guys - a combination of both techniques worked.

Of course, I encountered another issue - when coming into a dock the other weekend, I lost sight of the posts and the wind blew me into one, catching the prop of the trolling motor. It didn't look like any damage other than a scrape but when I went to use it this weekend it made quite a bit of noise - sounded like someting was rubbing or out of balance. After tinkering with it for a few minutes the noise seemed to go away and the motor started working fine. Perhaps I just pushed something out of place a bit and it needed to work back.

Thanks again

Scotty