• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Big Guy

Time for a new Deep Cycle?

Big Guy

Hey guys, not really an expert with Deep Cycles. I was wondering what is the typical life span of a deep cycle battery? I purchased one of the Motomaster deep cycles almost 6 years ago and for the last 2 seasons the charge isn't lasting very long, 4 hours max on setting 1 or 2 on a 36lbs. Minkota transom mount. I used the battery pretty hard the first 2 years. I was only running a trolling motor, not a gas one, and would pretty much run the battery to almost dead every time I went out. I always recharged it completely before next use though.

Is it time for a new one? If so what are some recommendations?

Some Old Guy

Hi Big Guy,

Yup. Time for a new one. Once the charge doesn't last it's better to go purchase a new one. Mine typically last for about 4 years. I have one that is 4 years old and it's about done.

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Big Guy

Thanks Roger, I thought that was going to be the case but I was hoping not. Looks like I get to go shopping now. And if my wife complains I will tell her Roger told me to. LOL

Some Old Guy

Ha! Right on.

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

WalleyeWayne

I would be happy getting 6 yrs. out of a Motomaster deep cycle battery! I can't seem to get beyond 2-1/4 yrs.....just long enough that the 2yr. warranty has expired. My last two deep cycles from Canadian Tire both calved in mid-June, after about 6 times out the start of each year. I don't know why I continue to keep buying them from there... :huh:

66blackhawk

Research ive done says never drain below 80%.

rceme74

My Interstate is on its 4th year. Typically most last between 3-5 yrs. We've trolled for 5 hours a couple of times and then recharged very slow for 2 days. 

Adrian

I have 2 motomaster wet cell batteries on my boat (70 lb minkota 24 volt) that are on their 4th year.  My onboard charger crapped out this year, and I had to get a new one, and I thought my batteries were dying.  After installing a new charger, my batteries are back to normal.  I get an easy weekend out of them.  I have a camp without hydro, so I only charge my batteries when I have my generator going, which is not usually a problem.  The real trick to longevity of deep cycle batteries is to never kill them dead.  I have a volt meter on mine, and I try to never let them go below 12.2 volts....see chart below

Image result for deep cycle battery voltage percentage