• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest borealboy

outboard motor cover repair

Guest borealboy

I have a chunk out of my motor housing about the size of a quarter and was wondering if anyone knows how to repair this? It looks like the material is fiberglass.

thanks

Spectre
I have a chunk out of my motor housing about the size of a quarter and was wondering if anyone knows how to repair this? It looks like the material is fiberglass.

thanks

Not too sure about it, but some bondo might do the trick?

Guest jj1

A friend of mine had his sonwmobile hood fixed by (and don't quote me on the spelling) Shanondoh's mobile repair. It turned out excellent. I'm sure he is in the phone book.

Guest Craigh

I had a small crack appear in my yamaha hood along the edge.

Before it got bad, I was able to buy some fiberglass material and 2 part resin at Home Depot in the paint section (about $25 in materials). I applied about 5 layers per the directions on the inside of the cover. On the outside, I put some of the resin in the crack and used yamaha touch up paint to hide my fix. I can see it everytime I look at it, but most who come in my boat would never notice it.

The only rule I didn't follow was the well ventilated area one. That stuff was nasty smelling and you need to abide that rule. My wife wasn't happy since that smell was in the house for at least a day while it cured in the basement

Guest borealboy
I had a small crack appear in my yamaha hood along the edge.

Before it got bad, I was able to buy some fiberglass material and 2 part resin at Home Depot in the paint section (about $25 in materials). I applied about 5 layers per the directions on the inside of the cover. On the outside, I put some of the resin in the crack and used yamaha touch up paint to hide my fix. I can see it everytime I look at it, but most who come in my boat would never notice it.

The only rule I didn't follow was the well ventilated area one. That stuff was nasty smelling and you need to abide that rule. My wife wasn't happy since that smell was in the house for at least a day while it cured in the basement

OK I will give that a try before the weather ouside gets too cool.

thanks

Guest mattyG

I also had to do some repairs to my fiberglass trailer, I baught the fiberglass kit from canadian tire. It worked great. very easy to use.