• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Some Old Guy

SIX MONTHS IN JAIL AND LIFETIME HUNTING BAN FOR THREE YEARS OF ILLEGAL BEAR HUNTING

Some Old Guy

IGNACE - A Blue River, Wisconsin man has been sentenced to six months in jail for illegally hunting and killing black bears and a Canadian lynx in the Ignace area during the summers of 2002, 2003 and 2004.

Adam Lawinger, 28, pleaded guilty to 21 charges. He has been banned from hunting in Ontario for life. The three black bears and one Canada lynx killed by Lawinger have been forfeited to the Crown.

Lawinger is now serving a two year sentence in the United States (U.S.) for offences resulting from an investigation conducted jointly by the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. The Ontario Court of Justice did not impose a fine because Lawinger had already been fined $80,000 in the United States and his inability to pay any further fines was taken into consideration.

Court heard that during the summer of 2002 Lawinger acted as a bear hunting guide for three U.S. hunters who were staying with an Ignace area outfitter who was not accredited to issue non-resident Black Bear Hunting Licence Validation Certificates. The four men harvested four bears illegally. Lawinger also shot a Canada lynx without a licence and illegally transported it into the United States.

To hunt legally, a non-resident must have the Validation Certificate in addition to the Non-resident Black Bear Hunting Licence.

In 2003, Lawinger returned to hunt black bear in the Ignace area. He obtained a Non-resident Black Bear Hunting Licence from the outfitter but, once again, had no Validation Certificate to hunt bear legally.

In 2004, Lawinger again returned to hunt black bear in the Ignace area and acted as a guide for two hunters from the United States. None of the men had a Validation Certificate. Lawinger and one of the non-resident hunters also used Lawinger's girlfriend's black bear licence to illegally seal an additional bear. She did not hunt black bear; she did not possess a firearm, and she had left the camp and returned to her home in Wisconsin before the bears were killed. In all, four black bears were killed illegally in 2004.

In each of the three years, the hides and skulls were exported and the black bear meat, suitable for food, was illegally abandoned and left to spoil.

Justice of the Peace Robert Michels heard the case in the Ontario Court of Justice, Ignace on August 1, 2006.

The Ministry reminds the public that hunting regulations are in place to protect the sustainability of wildlife populations and to give all hunters a fair opportunity to take part in the hunt. Information for non-resident black bear hunters can be found on page 78 of the 2006 Hunting Regulations Summary or online at www.mnr.gov.on./MNR/pubs/pubmenu.html.

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Guest Big Moose

:angry2: In my opinion he got off fairly lightly,I think there could have been a stiffer penalty than a little bit of jail time and a fine that will probably never be paid.His girlfriend should have to pay a penalty for her part in the destruction of our resourses.

:angry2::angry2:

Guest Dobsey

Got'ta agree with moose on this one, maybe fine his girlfriend the money they wanted. All though this happened befor the game wardens were basically fired, to seems that more wardens should be hired instead of packing there bags, because it can only get worse with almost no policing in the bush.

Guest Big Moose

It's pretty much up to us guys who respect the rules and enjoy the privaledge to be out there.But there will always be assclowns out there aswell what can you do.I have a feeling it will only get worse before it gets better if all you get is a slap on the wrist.

Gone8to1248

i agree with you Big Moose. Canada should of had the first crack at these guys because the crime was committed up there. Ontario should get thier money first and had them serve the jail time up there and then send thier asses back to the states to stand trial and pay the fines and jail time for the laws they broke down here. That wouldn't be double jepordey because they would be charged with different crimes by different goverments.

I didn't read the article, only what has been put on the board and have a couple of questions.

#1. Did the outfitter get charged for selling the licenses without proper paper work?( meanning the Validation Certificates)

#2. Did the girlfriend know they were going to use her lisence to tag a bear after she left? If so she should be charged also.

#3. Did the other hunters get fined also and were they aware that they needed Validation Certificates?

#4. Just what is a Validation Certificate? When I use to bear hunt up there years ago all I had to show proof of was that I had big game hunted before coming up there. Then the outfitter issued me a license and when i went back accross the border I needed an export tag and had to show all my paper work on the canadian side to get that and then at the border had to show all paper work to the custom officers. Have things changed since those days?

#5. Also these guys should loose all hunting privledges for life and be illegal for them to own firearms for life. Down here you break certain laws and that is the price you pay.