• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Buck 120

Shooting a high powered rifle at a pit

Buck 120

Is it legal to have a high powered rifle at a pit or transport one to it when it is not hunting season? Is there any possibility of being accused of hunting out of season by merely taking it to a pit?

I had the sight changed on my gun and want to sight it in as well as take the kids out for some target practice.

Thanks.

Not just a 3 month season but a 12 month obsession!!!

Guest Big Moose

You can carry your gun to a pit anytime you want it's your rifle and your right to bare arms.

Screw em I've never had any problems

Don't shoot any deer and you won't be accused of hunting.

(Unless the deer are attacking you then let em have it,You gotta watch those deer they are hungry)

crisop

all i do is leave it locked and in the back seat at al times unless at the pit and have yet to have a problem

2017 Dog Lake Open Champion

Line Cutter

Fishy AF

Some Old Guy

MNR Answer:

The MNR encourages hunters to accurately sight-in their rifles before the big game season begins to prevent unnecessary suffering, wounding and spoilage of wild game animals. The MNR co-hosts a rifle sight-in at the Nolalu rifle range in mid-September each year where Conservation Officers are available to answer hunting questions and an armourer is on site to examine and assist hunters in properly setting up their weapons.

So the answer to your question is yes, it is legal to transport (have in possession) your high powered rifle to a pit outside of the big game season, but only if it is not for the purpose of hunting. BUT, there is a chance you could be accused of hunting out of season just by the mere possession however.

Under the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act, the mere possession of a firearm in an area that is usually inhabited by wildlife, is proof, in the absence of evidence to the contrary that a person was hunting. (FWCA Sec. 109)

To avoid coming under scrutiny by Conservation Officers follow the following tips:

Admit to an Officer that you have a high powered rifle in your possession.

The weapon should be encased and not readily accessible until you get to the pit.

Have targets with you to show the officer.

If possible, travel from home directly to the pit and back again.

Typically hunters will take their big guns with them on a day of grouse hunting (pre moose/deer). If the high power is sitting on the seat next to the driver with ammunition close at hand, what is the officer to think?

Make sure you sight-in at a safe location (i.e., you have a safe/secure backstop away from other buildings/people/traffic) and that you have permission to be there. Many gravel pits are on private property and may be signed. Ensure you are not trespassing.

Pick up your litter/targets afterwards. Some popular gravel pits end up becoming small garbage dumps because hunters leave assorted targets and debris behind.

Finally, make sure there are no local bylaws in place prohibiting the activity. For example, some municipalities prohibit discharge of firearms in certain areas.

Reference: Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act 1998 Section 109

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Guest Big Moose

And by targets that doesn't mean a case of beer.I'd have to agree with you Roger most of the pits are like garbage dumps with trash and crap laying everywhere.In fact I usually go to garbage dumps to sight in or bag a bald eagle or two they taste great and have lots of meat for a bird they taste kinda like snowy owl or trumpeter swan.haha :P:P

Some Old Guy

Hi Big Moose.

That response was emailed to me by Ross from the MnR! They answer the questions on this board I just post the answers.

Ummm Would you like me to edit the FUNNIN' you were making about the eagles and swans?

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Guest Big Moose

AHHH Yah maybe,But they can check my freezer if they would like it's pretty bare,Actually it's embarassing how little wild meat there is with no kills from last year ouch.It hurts.

Traquer

Thanks for getting that MNR response for us Roger ... I've always wondered about the legality of it. Essentially have everything you need for sighting in and play it safe and you'll be ok. That's easy.

Buck 120

Sighting went great. Beautiful day, lots of ice. Went to the pit mentioned on this board past escape lake road.

Now I must buy more ammo LOL.

Not just a 3 month season but a 12 month obsession!!!