• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
naden

Who is your favourite butcher.

naden

Im looking for a place to take our moose. I would prefer if it was deboned and cut instead of run through a band saw with the bone in. I like the meat cutting that north country does and vacuum wrapping but their sausages are not my favourite. European has good sausages and pepperettes but last time i had an animal there it was cut with the bone in and just wrapped in paper. Ive had some commissary sausages that were good but dont know anything about their meat cutting?

What are your opinions?

Thanks

crisop

just ask for bone out when you bring it in. we bring ours to north country and have never had troubles with it. we get sausages and pepperttes at north country too, we have also tried simpson street deli for sausages as well

2017 Dog Lake Open Champion

Line Cutter

Fishy AF

Thefishleclair
Im looking for a place to take our moose. I would prefer if it was deboned and cut instead of run through a band saw with the bone in. I like the meat cutting that north country does and vacuum wrapping but their sausages are not my favourite. European has good sausages and pepperettes but last time i had an animal there it was cut with the bone in and just wrapped in paper. Ive had some commissary sausages that were good but dont know anything about their meat cutting?

What are your opinions?

Thanks

Simpson Street meats for sausage, Im not sure but European meats made the sausage with everyones moose that was brought in, They took how many pounds you brought in then gave you the according poundage back, Made one big batch out of yours, his and his and his moose. IMO it should be just your moose that you get back.

My bro butchers moose out of his garage, He will cut it to whatever way you want,You wrap your own meat though.

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

naden

Just talked to north country they are not accepting moose untill next monday. It is too warm to hang untill then I will have to find somewhere else or get someone to do it in my garage. I have also heard that about european meats. They are not accepting moose untill thursday or friday as well.

Travis Schallock

I've got other people's 'wild' meat from European before and will not go back. I take the time to dress and clean my meat properly and I would expect to get my properly cleaned meat back. I was suspicious of the meat when I first ate it, then got a bullet fragment in a sausage when I had an archery taken deer. That was it for me.

Travis Schallock

Nakina Fish and Game Club - President

PRO V

I have allways done my own cutting, and vacuum packing theres no reason to take it in to get it done, It's all part of the hunt. tlock is right

you get out what you put into it, theres always the guys who don't look after thier kill drag the moose behind the quad, truck etc, it gets full

of dirt & sh%t they wash it off a bit then kick off at the butchers. My wife likes moose, deer, and boo so i debone everything and take the extra time to clean it properly just so i don't turn her off of it. Besides i get to hang out in the garage that much longer B) I will usually wait

untill february to have the pepperettes, smokies, cabasa made that way i will get my meat back. A friend of mine got some cabasa made at

the place on simpson might be the best yet.

naden

We have done our own animals before but because of our different work schedules this year it is hard to get everyone together to butcher and wrap. Sounds like tonight we might be able to do it though so I think everything will work out. Thanks for everyones help. I have heard good things about the place on simpson for sausages etc. Also the commissary so I might try one of these this year. Any opinions on the best sausages, pepperettes or calbasa?

Guest Matt M

I had some deer pepperettes done at European Meats and I was not happy with them. Since then I have got my pepperettes and sausages done at Sunrise Meat & Sausage in Barwick. My moose go to Kent Ogden, I think thats how you spell his name, its the old Cloverleaf grocery store in Emo, he does a great job and the prices are very reasonable. I know it's kinda far from Thunder Bay but they are both great places that I deal with every year.

Guest borealboy
Just talked to north country they are not accepting moose untill next monday. It is too warm to hang untill then I will have to find somewhere else or get someone to do it in my garage. I have also heard that about european meats. They are not accepting moose untill thursday or friday as well.

Franks deli on lithium dr (next door to tbay tel) will hang your moose in his cold storage for as long as you wish. He will also butcher it or you can take it home and do it yourself. Have not seen his butchering results yet but the cold storage option is very handy for early season kills.

Commissary in the East End makes great cheese smokeys. They are my first choice for sausages.

Guest Potshot21

I bring all my meat to Dave Saunders in Red Rock to be butchered. He does absolutly great work! Even better is that it is a little cheaper if you bring you animals to him and wrap all your own meat. I like doing this cause I get to see him in action and find out where all the different cuts come from.

FishOrDie
I bring all my meat to Dave Saunders in Red Rock to be butchered. He does absolutly great work! Even better is that it is a little cheaper if you bring you animals to him and wrap all your own meat. I like doing this cause I get to see him in action and find out where all the different cuts come from.

Do you have his phone #

Guest fishinmagician

We always clean and debone our animals ourselves...if you wouldn't want to eat it, you get rid of it. For a great batch of smokies, pepperoni or pepperettes, we always use Strawberry Creek out in Kam - guaranteed to get YOUR meat back. They do individual batches spiced the way you want - no big mixed batches with whatever the next guy left. Prices are reasonable too. European does great smoking of the roasts though.

Jayfishin

Diane at Strawberry Creek has done us well for the last few years as well.

Stay away from Tim's Meats. Went there once and will never go back!

European is decent but is it your meat?

North Country was decent.

Jay

naden

We got our meat done at the commissary this year. The smokies, pepperettes, hamburger, and garlic ring are all very good, better than what ive had from european meats and north country. I think next I will try the strawberry creek next year