• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ottis

Ice Auger Questions

Guest Ottis

I have a Strikemaster 2.0 Lazer Mag Auger that does not seem to be biting the ice properly: it's not cutting well and there is a lot of vibration/wandering. I've googled a bunch of answers and it seems some common problems are dull blades and/or centre point OR a loose collar bolt. But, I don't think any of these are the problem. The blades and centre point look to be in excellent condition and the collar bolt is tight but there seems to be a lot of play coming from the drive shaft. How much 'wabble' should there be on an auger? And if there is too much, is it easy to tighten the drift shaft? The blade end of the auger will wabble about 1" from the centre point until a hole is established.

Thanks

Some Old Guy

Wobble can be from many things. Ice build up is common.

Without actually seeing the auger a suggestion is hard for me to make.

I do know that blades and your center point can look good when actually they are bad.

But you said there was wobble from the drive shaft. I'm taking you are meaning when you separate the auger portion from the head unit then you see the drive shaft stcking out of the bottom of the head unit, Right? This piece should not wobble at all!

Start up the head unit with out the auger on it. Then look at the drive shaft. (or have somebody look at it as you hold it towards them)This should spin straight.

Let me know once you got this far.

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Guest Ottis

Hey Roger,

The blades are essentially new. No chips, no rust.

The centre point may need to be sharpened. I realized this after thinking about how I mentioned the auger bites down much better after the hole is established. Initially the auger spins a lot without biting, probably because the centre point isn't cutting well.

There is play in the drive shaft. Probably a mm or two from side to side and it moves up and down about 3 or 4 mm. This is without the auger attached.

When the auger is attached, and the shaft is extended the addtional 3.5 feet , the blade end of the auger can pivot 1" from side to side.

If in standing position, with the auger attached the engine will wabble or tilt forward and from side-to-side with the auger supporting it's weight. As mentioned, that movement in the drive shaft of a couple mm here or there equals a good half inch or more wabble of the motor from side to side when the entire setup is upright and the auger is supporting its weight.