• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

nwodeerhunter

Opinions on .243 for deer hunting

nwodeerhunter

Hey everyone, best of the season to you all. I have recently purchased a .243 with the intention of using it for deer hunting in area 13 (using a 100 gr. Nosler partition bullet). I was wondering if this was a big mistake or a great choice. I have received mixed reviews from everyone and I’m trying to get some kind of consistent answer. please let me know of your opinions.

Cheers!

Marc

Tikka T3 Stainless/Laminate 300 WSM
Tikka T3 Stainless/Synthetic .243Win
Benelli Supernova RealTree APG 12Ga.

Bighotdog

Are you kidding me I have heard the same things come up over and over again about the 243 take down power. Well let me tell you that I first hand have the exact gun and am using the same bullets as you mentioned. I have a remington pump 7600 and have shot several deer with it now. I have shot everything from 50 yards broadside to 287yards broadside and these guns are amazing I can't say how much I love them. I have taken a head shot on a deer from 150 yards away and dropped her like a sack of potatoes as well. I have heard from several people that the 243 is no good and mainly they are all saying that the exit hole is very small. Well I DON"T THINK SO , I have several photos that I am sure you would like to see showing the damage my little 243 can do and call me sick or whatever but I have photos of all my kills and where they were shot and the exits as well so I can show you the damage. The best part of this gun is its ability to shoot straight as an arrow. When you fire a shot out of it you will know exactly what I mean, it just hits you like a pellet gun and the lack of recoil keeps you right on track. So just my little opinion but I would never buy another gun for deer ever again unless it is a brand new 243 in about 30 years or so.

naden

I had a model 70 featherweight in 243. Didnt have it for very long because I didnt care for rifle itself but the calibre is fine for deer. Only shot one deer with it at about 150 yards and it didnt go very far. The americans use 243 quite a bit for deer. 25-06 is similar and is another popular calibre for deer. I think these calibres just arent as popular around here because most people are doing mixed bag hunts of deer and moose and are using 30 calibre rounds.

Thefishleclair
I had a model 70 featherweight in 243. Didnt have it for very long because I didnt care for rifle itself but the calibre is fine for deer. Only shot one deer with it at about 150 yards and it didnt go very far. The americans use 243 quite a bit for deer. 25-06 is similar and is another popular calibre for deer. I think these calibres just arent as popular around here because most people are doing mixed bag hunts of deer and moose and are using 30 calibre rounds.

BINGO

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

Gone8to1248

I have 2 Remington Rifles in the .243 one is the ADL and the other is a BDL. I have hunted Bear in Canada with them and have shot many deer down here in the states over the years with them both. I have a mounted doe that I drop with 1 shot at 325yds and she weighted 286lbs! When shooting long range I prefer the Pointed-Soft Point Boatail in 80grains for deer. For Bear I go up to the same round in 100grain.

The biggest factor is how comfortable you are with the gun and how good a shot are you. A .22 will drop a deer if hit in the right spot. My ADL is set-up with a scope with see thru sites. That is raised scope were at close range I can still use the iron sights. The only thing you have to keep in mind that the .243 is high velocity and will richochet easly in the brush. That faster the round the less side force it takes to move it!

NorthwestHunter

That gun will serve you well for many years Marc. A .243 is the next caliber on my list!

Paul

Whitetail hunting, not just a 3 month season...a 12 month obsession

nwodeerhunter

Thanks for your opinions everyone, I am feeling alot more confident with my choice.

cheers!

Tikka T3 Stainless/Laminate 300 WSM
Tikka T3 Stainless/Synthetic .243Win
Benelli Supernova RealTree APG 12Ga.