• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Canucker

Muskeg Lake

Canucker

Anyone ever fished this lake? This is the lake that is up by Dog River. Just curious as it seems to be a good size lake on the map, yet I don't recall ever hearing about anyone fishing there?

Foz

I think it used to be a sanctuary, was closed for five years I think. Ive also wondered about the fishing in there.

eyelander

It was closed as a sanctuary for about 5 years, but that was at least 15 yrs. ago. The MNR stocked it with walleye. But, there was no recruitment of walleye. They test netted it for those years and didn't find any walleye stocked had survived or spawned.

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Murillo
It was closed as a sanctuary for about 5 years, but that was at least 15 yrs. ago. The MNR stocked it with walleye. But, there was no recruitment of walleye. They test netted it for those years and didn't find any walleye stocked had survived or spawned.

Good lake if your looking Pike!

drago82

I attempted to fish there this summer and the Ontario Backroads map claimed that there were two boat launches on the lake. I headed down one road and it was blocked with boulders, the other road was quite narrow and a bit dicey. I had my SUV and trailer and probably pushed the limit. I got close and then walked in there, no way to launch a boat there, shallow water and sandy. This was at the south boat launch, the north one was blocked. If you had a truck and a small boat in the back you would be fine, may need to do a little brushing. The lake is pretty large though so it might be pretty wavy in a 12 footer if the wind happened to pick up.

Canucker

Thanks. I find it interesting that a lake of that size within that proximity to Thunder Bay generates so little interest. You would think that it would be opened up as a recreational lake for cottagers if nothing else. Guess it just goes to show you the wealth of other fishing locations and recreational areas in the region. Unless there is something else to it.

Domer
Thanks. I find it interesting that a lake of that size within that proximity to Thunder Bay generates so little interest. You would think that it would be opened up as a recreational lake for cottagers if nothing else. Guess it just goes to show you the wealth of other fishing locations and recreational areas in the region. Unless there is something else to it.

Trophy pike are in there for sure. Seen a 28 lber and two 20's out of the bay that leads to the big lake. I know several americans who come up in the spring for the pike fishing in there.

Dom.

Jreed33

So it's been quite a while since this thread was active, It's been a while since I've been to the lake however we'd travel up every year from Minnesota to fish Muskeg, We've caught several trophy worth fish out of this lake including my grandfather 39Lb 44 Inch pike and several other 20LB + fish, If this lake is still available and open I highly recommend anyone in the area give it a shot.

• Like 1