• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest massaro

steelhead

Guest TerryK

all thats going to change within next year. so bare with it.

No holding my breath for these guys to give up their treaty rights.

walleyebob

caught my first over 27 of the year today.... and put it right back where it came from!!

fish are starting to put up a better fight now aswell

• Like 2

Guest NICE CAST

When I first started steelheading over 30 years ago in southern,ontario I was green as every other new steelheader but I was different I read magazine articles,watched very limited t.v. shows,vcr tapes,etc and also politley asked successful steelheaders what their method was, where ,etc. Some would explain,others would not.This was how I met one of the best steelheaders of his time who took me under his wing and taught what to do, where to go,what to use. Today all his old steelhead haunts are not secretive anymore,getting up early doesn't work as most camp out in their cars/trucks to be the first on the river and not just the weekend every day during steelhead season is like this, and everyone knows all the spots by name on every river, and with internet forums and you tube most spots are no on the net. Steelheaders and brook trout fishermen up here on the northshore that post on this board get all protective of their spots, yet each year I see more and more americans,out of province canadians, southern ontarioans,etc fishing along the north shore, thanks to tv shows, webb forums,google earth,etc,.So suck-it up, walk or drive to the next spot, shut-up and fish or stay home and garden with your other half, cause one never knows the skill of the angler who fished the spot before.

Lineguy

When I first started steelheading over 30 years ago in southern,ontario I was green as every other new steelheader but I was different I read magazine articles,watched very limited t.v. shows,vcr tapes,etc and also politley asked successful steelheaders what their method was, where ,etc. Some would explain,others would not.This was how I met one of the best steelheaders of his time who took me under his wing and taught what to do, where to go,what to use. Today all his old steelhead haunts are not secretive anymore,getting up early doesn't work as most camp out in their cars/trucks to be the first on the river and not just the weekend every day during steelhead season is like this, and everyone knows all the spots by name on every river, and with internet forums and you tube most spots are no on the net. Steelheaders and brook trout fishermen up here on the northshore that post on this board get all protective of their spots, yet each year I see more and more americans,out of province canadians, southern ontarioans,etc fishing along the north shore, thanks to tv shows, webb forums,google earth,etc,.So suck-it up, walk or drive to the next spot, shut-up and fish or stay home and garden with your other half, cause one never knows the skill of the angler who fished the spot before.

Well said. What was no longer is. Tight Lines NICE CAST.

Scotty

• Like 1

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

A.F. & A.M.

gsambray

ive been steelheading for only about 11 years know. and in the past 2 years is when i really started catching. it takes a long time to learn and what was said above is true. i fished pools before and never caught a darn thing and then someone else who was well experienced stood by me fishing the same pool and pulled out fish left right and center. besides how can you really have a secret spot in the middle of town? but anyways as I have learned its a lot more skill than luck with this species of fish.

RatherBeFishin

ive been steelheading for only about 11 years know. and in the past 2 years is when i really started catching. it takes a long time to learn and what was said above is true. i fished pools before and never caught a darn thing and then someone else who was well experienced stood by me fishing the same pool and pulled out fish left right and center. besides how can you really have a secret spot in the middle of town? but anyways as I have learned its a lot more skill than luck with this species of fish.

Wow I agree with your comment! I have been fishing steelhead for about 6 years now, I watch people catch lots and I usually only get a couple but it is just fun being out there. I have been out to the rivers around town and outside of town everyday since 2 fridays ago(have not missed a day yet) wheather it is for a half hour or a half day. I have landed 6 fish and lost 2 so far this year. Cant wait to see what the rest of the season holds!

Dave

• Like 1

mikejson

Couldn't have said it any better....

Moral of the quote... SHUT UP AND FISH!! :D

Guest TerryK

I'm confused. Are you telling everyone to shut up and fish because they are sharing too much detail on the internet or are you telling them to shut up and fish because it's too late and we are being over run with out-of-towners??

Guest NICE CAST

I'm telling everyone to shut-up and fish and quit making issues about so called secret brook trout and steelhead spots and techniques, you don't see anyone making a big deal about walleye or bass spots and techniques , every spring, since 2005 when I found this board,spring steelhead as a topic, has been such a sacreligous subject speakin of it would warrant beheadings in some arabic countries. Just go fish maybe catch a few ,enjoy the day and have fun thats all.

Guest FreshwaterFisherman

I'm telling everyone to shut-up and fish and quit making issues about so called secret brook trout and steelhead spots and techniques, you don't see anyone making a big deal about walleye or bass spots and techniques , every spring, since 2005 when I found this board,spring steelhead as a topic, has been such a sacreligous subject speakin of it would warrant beheadings in some arabic countries. Just go fish maybe catch a few ,enjoy the day and have fun thats all.

I agree, it should be more about just getting out, having a good time, enjoying the weather, and hopefully hooking into some fish.

Brodie K.

Lyle Reiner

...and clean up after themselves!!

Prostaff For

Lowrance Canada

Guest FreshwaterFisherman

...and clean up after themselves!!

That should be a given, even though it isn't. We are quite blessed to have the beauty we do within the city. Lets not ruin it.

Brodie K.

Guest Smack Um

Maybe you should be looking into what the Atikokan Walleye hatchery is doing they milk fish and reaease the fry as soon as the yolk sack is gone.

This hatchery is run by volunteers and it is all said and done in about 4 weeks the fish are from the wild to the wild.

See the Atikokan Walleye Volunteer Fish Hatchery they have had great results as 95% of their eggs would have become fish/if not they are hoovered up by suckers any way why not give the little guys a fighting chance with some fins.

My friend took it on to him self to raise Rainbow Trout for some 20 years or so and catch and release does not work even slight damage to the gills can cause death during winter!

If this is your livelyhood and you have to count on it you can't afford the losses.

Patrick

Guest TerryK

Patrick:

So....you have scientific data collected by professionals to back up your claims? Suckers eat 95% of rainbow eggs and fry? You have data to support this claim?

Catch and release dosen't work? Proof? Data? Please clarify.

Your friend who took it upon himself to raise rainbows was breaking the law if he indeed did so and released the fish in a foreign water body.

The NSSA is not in the fish stocking business. With proper management, limited harvest and stream/water conservation these fish do what nature has designed them to do and they do if very well if they are given the chance. Taking eggs from a fish and stocking the resulting fry in the same watershed is a waste of time and more often than not, counterproductive. What makes US think as human beings, that we can do it better than a species that has been doing it's thing for hundreds of thousands of years? You have data that supports your hypothesis? Please share it with us!

If you can pass on "a lot of knowledge" as you claim, please contact me through private messenger. I'd seriously like to hear more of your ideas.

• Like 1

brookiebuster

Here we go again.......

"Whack em' and stack em',kill em' and grill em'" Ted Nugent

Castnblast

Pick your battles Ter. Some are worth fighting...

Guest Wes

...catch and release does not work as the fish will die come winter due to any damage to the gills some Members of NSSA where at his ponds showing him how to catch and release but damage is damage!

Thanks, I needed that. A good laugh always makes the soul feel good.

...The suckers eat most of the young aprox.95% of the eggs when they are the most vulnerable as is the case with most spiecies so why not give the Steelhead a fighting chance for survival if you love them? :D

Patrick

That's mother nature, and what do you think the Steelhead are eating while they are in the river? Late in the run, when the suckers are in, Sucker Spawn patterns are a very good fly to use. Steelhead are usually first to arrive in the river and last to leave due to the distance they travel to spawn. Once they are spawned out and begin migrating down stream they strap on the feed bag and sucker spawn will be plentiful at this time. Suckers don't travel as far so the only eggs they are eating are loose eggs that would have a very small chance of hatching anyway. There are some Steelhead that will spawn in the lower reaches of the river and their eggs will probably get hoovered. That again is mother nature. If all the Steelhead spawned in one spot and there was some kind of environmental disaster, the entire run could be whipped out. She programmed the Steelhead to spread out to increase the chance of survival.

• Like 2

Fishbum

Wow I agree with your comment! I have been fishing steelhead for about 6 years now, I watch people catch lots and I usually only get a couple but it is just fun being out there. I have been out to the rivers around town and outside of town everyday since 2 fridays ago(have not missed a day yet) wheather it is for a half hour or a half day. I have landed 6 fish and lost 2 so far this year. Cant wait to see what the rest of the season holds!

Dave

hmmmmm sounds like i need to give ya a lesson soon eh? hahaha

Guest TerryK

Pick your battles Ter. Some are worth fighting...

Not a battle at all Jeff, I just want some scientific details. I like clarity when someone lays down some "facts".

You know I'm a "sucker" for details. :P