• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
mikejson

Can a Merc 25hp 4-stroke push a 16' Lund Fury?

mikejson

I'm wondering if a 25hp 4-stroke can actually plane out with 2-3 guys+ gear in a 16' boat with the floorplan like a Lund Fury.

Here is the floor plan I"m talking about

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lundboats/5032843029/

Many boat manufacturers make boats like this... not really stuck in Lund, just trying to figure out if I'd need to upgrade my entire outfit, or if I can just pick up a new boat and keep my 25hp 4stroke(which I love!).

Thanks!

Mike.

arvey

everybody will have a differant veiw. mine is no it won't. check to see what the hp rating is on the boat and how much under power your 25 will be. i have

14 1/2 ft alumnacraft with almost the same floor plan with a 40 evinrude.

just my thought.

arvey

mikejson

Ya, the manufacturer's website says 25,40,60 for that boat... but I'm just skeptical of the sales pitch..... if you know what I mean...

Guest lacman
Ya, the manufacturer's website says 25,40,60 for that boat... but I'm just skeptical of the sales pitch..... if you know what I mean...

Those Furys look niiiiiice!

GC 54

I believe it is rated for a 40 hp, we just gave one away at the NSSA dinner auction. Super nice boat, new this year in the Lund line up.

George Clark of TEAM CLARK

FIELD STAFF FOR TEAM SHIMANO PRO STAFF FOR D & R SPORTING GOODS PRO STAFF FOR LUND BOATS
Proudly Supported By: G.LOOMIS JACKALL POWER PRO NORTH COUNTRY CYCLE & SPORTS Treasurer of: Thunder Bay BASSmasters

mike sawatsky

Hello Mike

I will tell you up front I work at North Country Cycle and Sports.

I have been in the 1600 Fury SS with a 25 hp 4 stroke with 2 adults and it perform great. If you have a 25 hp long shaft I personaly would not buy a new motor and put that on the new boat.

As far as the price in town we are very competetive. The price online does not include Freight ($607) or PDI ($360) and when you add that in the price is very close. We are selling the 1600 Fury tiller with a Mercury 25ML 4 stroke for $8999 INCLUDING Freight and PDI.

If you would like to come down or call me 622-0001 I would love the opportunity to show you the boat. When the weather gets better I would also be willing to try and set up a test drive.

Thank you

Mike Sawatsky

Thunder Bay Bass Masters member

Thank you to my Sponsors

okuma.jpg

e8c6ab21-b858-4eaa-bdb6-69d20c3a5429.jpg

WWW.HEADRACK.COM

north-country-cycle2.gif

NORTH COUNTRY CYCLE AND SPORTS

WWW.THEFISHWRANGLERS.COM

@fishwranglers

Guest Seabell

Hey Mike you don't know me but I have 30 HP Merc 4 stroke on my 16 Naden and I wouldn't want anything smaller, I love the motor it is quiet trolls nice, but if I load my boat up she has a hard time.

Just thought I would throw that out there.

Chuck

Trevor Zimak
Hello Mike

I will tell you up front I work at North Country Cycle and Sports.

I have been in the 1600 Fury SS with a 25 hp 4 stroke with 2 adults and it perform great. If you have a 25 hp long shaft I personaly would not buy a new motor and put that on the new boat.

As far as the price in town we are very competetive. The price online does not include Freight ($607) or PDI ($360) and when you add that in the price is very close. We are selling the 1600 Fury tiller with a Mercury 25ML 4 stroke for $8999 INCLUDING Freight and PDI.

If you would like to come down or call me 622-0001 I would love the opportunity to show you the boat. When the weather gets better I would also be willing to try and set up a test drive.

Thank you

Mike Sawatsky

Talk about a sales pitch! lol lol

Unless you are running a very small pitch prop.... im talking 12P - 13P you will have a tough time getting out of the hole especially with three guys.

Guest Craigh

Do you research on the motors and their ability to be propped with a lower pitch prop.

Couple examples:

A friend of mine has a Merc 25HP Bigfoot (target sale audience was pontoons, etc) on a 16' Lund tiller with a floor/casting deck/bowmount/batteries. You can load that boat even with the gunnels and 3 guys going camping for a week and he will top out at 20mph. Empty, he is pushing 30.

I had a 14' lund with no floor and a 25 Honda. I could take about 1/2 the gear he could (to make it look like I was at least taking part of my share) and a couple of the lighter guys and have no hope of planing that load with the factory delivered prop (12 pitch). I was able to find a 9 pitch prop with the max diameter my motor could handle with lots of surface area from Michigan prop that dropped my about 3 or 4 degrees of pitch and that boat performed like I wanted. Lots of low end power to get the bow up in any conditions, but empty, my boat's top end was cut down to around 21mph. With a very loaded boat and the lower pitch prop, I could get around 13-14 mph loaded and mostly planning.

My points:

- not all 25's are equal for their usages (that bigfoot had the gearcase from their 40-50hp outboards )

- not all props are equal (or what you can get for the brand you are choosing)

- if your motor doesn't have a rpm limiter (my honda had one at 5500 rpm - I don't know about other brands), be careful playing with prop pitches if you don't know your fully loaded running rpm to start with

If you don't have motor HP restrictions where you fish, I say max it out and you won't spend a bunch of money trying out props to make it behave like you want.

- Craig

mike sawatsky
I'm wondering if a 25hp 4-stroke can actually plane out with 2-3 guys+ gear in a 16' boat with the floorplan like a Lund Fury.

Here is the floor plan I"m talking about

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lundboats/5032843029/

Many boat manufacturers make boats like this... not really stuck in Lund, just trying to figure out if I'd need to upgrade my entire outfit, or if I can just pick up a new boat and keep my 25hp 4stroke(which I love!).

Thanks!

Mike.

Everyone seems to be missing the question here. Mike asked if the boat would plane out with 3 guys and gear. He did not ask if it was going to be fast. The point is I have been in the boat with 2 guys about 200lb a piece and the boat jumped on plane quickly and topped out around 25mph. If you are looking at top speed go with a 40hp, but if you just want to be able to go out and get fishing and not spend a lot of money the 25ML is a great choice.

Mike

Thunder Bay Bass Masters member

Thank you to my Sponsors

okuma.jpg

e8c6ab21-b858-4eaa-bdb6-69d20c3a5429.jpg

WWW.HEADRACK.COM

north-country-cycle2.gif

NORTH COUNTRY CYCLE AND SPORTS

WWW.THEFISHWRANGLERS.COM

@fishwranglers

mikejson

Ya, I just hate being in a boat that takes 10 minutes to get planed... or that simply won't plane out. I am not overly concerned with getting to my fishing spot 5 minutes sooner...

Guest Craigh

I didn't miss the point of his request. I am pointing out that he needs info to make an informed decision. I gave him the two data points I have with my personal experiences with 14-16' lunds and 4 strokes. I only included speed examples because I also had that data.

With a 25 or a 40, it is still a great fishing rig.

Will he have the power (when overloaded) to raise up the bow in large waves or make that quick turn in larger waves and accelerate back with the waves? - I say max it out. I have been in overloaded boats with undersized motors in conditions I shouldn't have been in because of the rules associated with entry/exit in the BWCAW (25hp max). A seasoned boat driver with power to spare in his rig will feel much safer than the same boat underpowered in bad conditions.

Will he use it in all water conditions fully loaded - only he knows that which is why he needs to make the choice. It isn't as simple as asking is it good enough because that is a relative judgment.

L J B

Mike,

I would not hesitate to pair the 25 merc with the Lund, as long as top speed is not a priority. These are my reasons why.

A couple of years ago I bought a Lund SSV 16 with drop in floors. The 16 you are looking at is probably a heavier boat but not by much ( I'm not going too look up exact weights ). I put a 30 horse 4 stroke Yamaha on it ( heavier than your Merc ). The motor came with a 12p prop on it and it flew with 2 people and a light load. The first time I loaded up the whole family and a weeks worth of camping gear and extra gas it did not want plane very quickly at all. I exchanged the 12p for an 11p prop and had a completely different boat. You can load it to the gunnels and it will always plane up fairly quickly, but there is a fairly significant drop in top speed. This didn't matter to me as I like to enjoy the scenery on my way to the fishing hole.( plus my eyes start to water if I go too fast! ).

Do not always think that by increasing the size of a boat that you will automatically slow down. Keep in mind that a 16' boat is already closer to being on plane while sitting in the water than a shorter boat with the same load that sits lower in the water. My 9.9 hp pushes a 14' boat faster than a 12' with the same load.

If you like trolling you will be far happier with a 25 than a 40 hp. Trust me.

It is my opinion that larger horsepower and speed has gotten people into a lot more trouble in wavy conditions than it has helped. I personally don't think you will feel under powered in stormy seas as long as your prop is pitched for power, not speed.

I have put many miles on 16' Aluma Marine boats that had floors and casting platforms. They are probably close in size and weight to what you are looking at. They were powered by 25 2 stroke Mercs and had no problems planing and running fairly fast. I know that 4 strokes have different power characteristics than 2 strokes but it may be a useful comparison.

And my last point; If you find that you are genuinly unhappy with the 25 on this boat you can look at the bright side. It will be a great reason to go shopping for a new motor!

Sorry if I bored anybody L J B

DJL66

I had a 16' Alumacraft DLX with livewell and full floor, it was powered with a 25hp Merc 2 stroke that would easily get up on plane with 2-3 peolpe and top out at 25mph (GPS). This boat was set up perfectly for me and even though it was rated for a 40hp I never felt that it was under powered. I'm sure if you get the right prop on a 25hp 4 stroke you will have no issues and be very satisfied with the performance. Just my opinion.

Guest Munshaw

Keep in mind the guys saying "max it out" are not the ones going to have to drop the extra $5,000 for a new motor.... Its easy to spend someone elses money. If you already own the motor, it won't hurt to mount it and try it out. If you don't like it, you have options.

PRO V

I'm not all that famillar with the 4 stroke only ran a 60 tiller four stroke on an 18 outfitter for a summer, a great set up.

We would carry a couple different props with us for the 25 merc 2 stroke, when we would carry big jags such as bringing

moose out, we would take a couple of minutes and just change the prop.

Mike

Guest Craigh

I had spent close to $500 on 4 props finding the right one for my Honda 25. That would have been money better spent on a larger motor if I could have. If you have a knowledgeable dealer and don't have to do the trial and error on your own to find the right one, it won't be so bad and you need a spare anyway. Having the choice to make it perform like you want is a good thing.

I have always had my boats pitched for power and not speed. My current rig has a 250 Yamaha on it and that boat won't go over 48mph, but I can make it behave how every I want in the varying conditions including being on plane at about 17 mph. A great "barging" no hull slap speed for those rough runs home. My dealer thinks the boat should go over 60 every time you turn the key on and all his advice is centered around speed only.