• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
mikejson

Boat covers... which ones last?

mikejson

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has found any after market boat covers that they'd recommend.

I have a 16' tracker(bench seats) that I'd like to get a new cover for. The one I bought from North Country for about $300 I feel wasn't that great. It lasted about 3 years. My boat is stored in the middle of my yard, no trees or anything like that. I put posts in to make the water run off it, but it still got either sun damage or water rotted. It now has holes in it and I bet if I gave it a good pop with my hand, would rip right through.

If there really isn't anything better on the market, is there tips to keeping these things from rotting/sun damage? I mean, isn't part of the reason to have a cover is to prevent sun damage to the other things in your boat(ie rubber mouldings, seats etc)?

Thanks in advance for the tips...

Mike.

Some Old Guy

Hi Mike,

They really don't last long the way you have it set up.

To make your next cover last longer, just continue exactly what you are doing but then throw a tarp over everything. This helps the snow slide off easier and keeps the sun from damaging your cover. Tarps are cheaper to replace.

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

mikejson

Hi Mike,

They really don't last long the way you have it set up.

To make your next cover last longer, just continue exactly what you are doing but then throw a tarp over everything. This helps the snow slide off easier and keeps the sun from damaging your cover. Tarps are cheaper to replace.

Roger

I have the original cover that Tracker uses to ship the boats(North Country tossed it in while my boat cover was backorderd when I originally bought the boat) so I toss that on in the winter... but I never toss it on in the summer... guess I'll start doing that.

filletandrelease

The best cover you will find in town will likely be a custom made one at Milani's. I wouldn't wait too long to go though you can get better prices in the off season.

Guest littlegm

Yup... I've tried many covers for my boats over the years and by far the best one has been from Milani's (345-5403). Custom made to fit your boat, well worth the $500 (if I remember). Because my only option for now is to store my boat outside for the winter I built a wood frame to support the cover should the snow build up. Who am I kidding, I brush it off every day, read it a story before bedtime... I bet the cover would support enough snow to crush the boat windows before tearing the cover.

Good luck,