• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Zackcorbin1401

Little Trout Bay Ice Fishing

Zackcorbin1401

I was wondering if anyone has ice fished here before and what species. I am looking in to a trip here for some lakers or white fish i have never been here and don't really know what to expect or how to fish for them or where

sinker7

Popular spot. Most people walk out from the launch. Snowmobiles are also an option but be cautious on ice conditions the farther you travel towards McKellar Point. Good for whitefish in the general area out from the launch. Lakers and herring are also present. The back half of the bay is mostly flat and featureless. Most of the water is 25-40ft.

AB

If you walk out straight from the launch you will run into lakers, whitefish, herring and even the odd small salmon. Its the only area I've ever put coho salmon on the ice. Several years ago we hooked into 6 or 7 fish that just doubled the rod over and peeled line to the point the hooks were pulled out. Never knew what they were, but they definately left us shaken. And that's within 100 yds of the launch area.

Buckshot lures, rattle snakies and Hopkins spoons will all produce fish. Anything can happen once you get into 22FOW or better. Electronics help and be patient. Watch the ice conditions this early in the year. The bay is subject to some wicked currents that aren't apparent with ice cover.

For some really large whities, wait for a howling east wind and head into the back half of the bay. For some reason it produces some really large fish, but only on an east wind, which can be very unpleasant.

LTB is a great place to go for only a short drive. It always coughs up a whitey or two, but you need to have patience.

good luck,

iceman

Bobber Down

Have fun and catch a bunch

post-1835-0-21395300-1389063669.gif

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - what a ride!!!

gsambray

Anyone know of how the ice is and how much?

scandiman

Anyone know of how the ice is and how much?

10+ inches approximately 150-200 yards from launch, 35-40 FOW. We didn't venture too far as it was our first time there during hard water, but there was a good amount of quality ice. Didn't catch anything in 3-4 hours of fishing but it was -45 that day. My buddy went there Sunday and ventured further out towards the point, be very wary as you move closer to the point. There was open water within eye shot where they stopped. They were on foot only, no snowmachines.

Zackcorbin1401

does anyone know the ice conditions?

Lyle Reiner

Last picture I saw it was wide open still

Prostaff For

Lowrance Canada

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

this is last years thread

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

BirchPoint2014

still a thread on LTB, i am also wondering about the ice conditions, this cold we have been getting must be freezing it up some.

anyone have an idea of the situation?

BirchPoint2014

CEO & COO of Birch Point Resort 

Kashabowie, ON