• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
CoryCo

Wanting to learn to fly fish

CoryCo

I'm off work for 4 weeks and I'm trying to learn to fly fish. I bought a size 5 rod, and have flies. I'm not new to fishing, but have never fly fished before. I was told to try Tamblyn behind LU.

Just curious if anybody is interested in showing me some tricks and some spots around town.

Send me a message if you're interested

walleyewarrior

You might have better luck posting in the fly fishing section but I wouldn't recommend lake Tamblyn. When first learning to cast a fly the more room the better. There isn't a whole lot of room around lake Tamblyn or a whole lot of fish for that matter. I practiced in my yard before hitting the water.

CoryCo

Didn't know there was a fly section.. Thanks

I'll probably practice in the yard tomorrow.

walleyewarrior

There's lots of videos on how to properly cast on YouTube. I watched a bunch of them and then went and practiced what I saw. It'll help you a lot when you're actually on the water

CoryCo

Yeah I was in the hospital for 5 days so I did a ton of reading and watched a ton of videos.

Guest FreshwaterFisherman

Lake tamblyn holds a ton of tiny fish, with the odd decent one, the casting there is not ideal for begginners, your either casting with a small hill behind you on your back cast, and a 15 foot drop on the forward cast if fishing off the wall around the lake. If you fish from the grassy areas closer to water level you have lots of trees to deal with. Also, keep in mind people, LOTS of walking traffic and bikers, and bikers can not be there one second and be directly in your backcast the next second. Last thing you want to do is hook someone, and then proceed with a forward cast sinking the hook into them. boulevard lake may offer some options for you if you look around. You want space, and you dont want a hill behind you, and you dont want to have to worry about a ton of people walking into your cast. I learned on the water and found sometimes I was worrying more about the fish than the casting, so I had to slow down, take off my fly, and make a point to work on casting, its hard to practise casting when your focused on catching fish, especially at the beginners stage, especially when people around you are catching fish.

ribneck

Not fly fishing with the spinning rod anymore look at you big dawg now lol

pastor norm

there's a thread like this for you too...

search for "Redington fly combo from DnR"

eyelander

I'm off work for 4 weeks and I'm trying to learn to fly fish. I bought a size 5 rod, and have flies. I'm not new to fishing, but have never fly fished before. I was told to try Tamblyn behind LU.

Just curious if anybody is interested in showing me some tricks and some spots around town.

Send me a message if you're interested

A good place to practice is the McIntyre River just south of Intercity Mall. I went through there today at 10:00 am on my mountain bike and there was nobody in that parking lot yet. No trees behind you and river in front of you.

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

CoryCo

I live right by the McIntyre. 10 mins walking. Gonna practice around there

pastor norm

You can practice it in field too ya know. Or an empty parking lot. Some say it's better away from your game fish water because there's less pressure and therefore less frustration as you concentrate on your technique.

BUT don't let me ďiscourage you. Welcome to the pleasures of fly fishing!

pastor norm

You can practice it in field too ya know. Or an empty parking lot. Some say it's better away from your game fish water because there's less pressure and therefore less frustration as you concentrate on your technique.

pastor norm