• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Lyle Reiner

Fall salmon run

Lyle Reiner

I'd imagine it's starting soon. Anyone making trips out there?

Prostaff For

Lowrance Canada

Guest FreshwaterFisherman

I think the local rivers have a bit to go yet. The nipigon is giving up salmon. A good couple weeks and we may see some in the rivers around town.

AB

Nipigon is really slow, the draw down for lampricide was done this week. Fished of about 4 hrs this AM. Not even a sniff. Saw one other boat hook a fish, small and might have been a rainbow. My guess is it will get better after the long weekend.

iceman

Lyle Reiner

Thanks Andy, will wait a couple weeks

Prostaff For

Lowrance Canada

Weekend coaster

Hello

I was wondering if anybody checked the wolf river or black sturgeon river yet last time I checked last weekend there was people fishing but wasn't sure if the salmon ran up there yet

WalleyeWayne

The Nipigon River at the Alexandra Dam was pretty much dried up last week. The launch was high and dry and if you launched from the shoreline, you would have to drive out to the middle of the river to access water. Kinda creepy looking when they close the dam for lampricide applications!

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

The Nipigon River at the Alexandra Dam was pretty much dried up last week. The launch was high and dry and if you launched from the shoreline, you would have to drive out to the middle of the river to access water. Kinda creepy looking when they close the dam for lampricide applications!

really???, thats cool ish. walk out and collect some lures

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

WalleyeWayne

Actually I read somewhere (I think it was the Terrace Bay Times or something) that that's exactly what people were doing when it was drained down. Apparently they/ve opened the dam again and there is a good flow in there now.

Porkchop21

Anyone been to Nipigon river last couple days? Wondering if the water level is up since the MNR drained it and if the fishing has picked up at all.

• Like 1

bobo

Water is back up for about a week now. Fishing was pretty slow. Landing 4 salmon the day before the drain, went day after dam opened and nada! Lots of boat with only 1 boat that I saw land one. Does anybody know if they kill lamprey every year or is it every couple?

shmanks

cant wait for some pink salmon fishing this year going to try my luck with the fly rod this year. I am new to flyfishing but have caught a few fish on the fly...just wondering what type of fly's should i pick up? and what type of leader should i use(do i need a tapered leader)?

thanks guys

mad scientist

Lampricide is applied roughly once every five years, but they do an assessment project the year before and after a treatment - not sure if they need to lower water levels to do the assessment work on the Nipigon.

And it's DFO, not MNR, that is responsible for sea lamprey.

• Like 2

I'm going out to fish. - John 21:3

crazyctr

Hello

I was wondering if anybody checked the wolf river or black sturgeon river yet last time I checked last weekend there was people fishing but wasn't sure if the salmon ran up there yet

i checked the wolf river two days ago no salmon yet but lots of garbage all over the place hope the co`s can get the idiot that made the mess

hbaits.jpg

brian

Was up at nipigon river on sat, we caught 2 nice fish, one chrome one beige, run not really going yet, I'm thinking two more weeks, the entire year of fishing has been a couple of weeks behind and I think this run will be the same

bin fishin lots

All this rain should push a few up river I'm thinking.

Weekend coaster

With this rain ones gotta wonder Mackenzie or current river is. So has anybody checked recently I was thinking of checking later on

GAR

I saw 1 pink at the current this afternoon. Hopefully a sign of things to come.

GAR

I saw 1 pink at the current this afternoon. Hopefully a sign of things to come.

Foozer

I haven't fished pinks before.

Would a good tactic be tossing out panther martins or black furys to get a couple?

What are popular ways of getting these little guys?

Since we can not call female anglers "fisherman" We should just call 'em hookers.....

brookiebuster

Other than fly fishing I've nailed them on 1/8oz blue/silver little cleos. Just cast and let it sit in the current. About 90% of the fish hooked were hooked in the mouth and not snagged. The ones that do get foul hooked are thrown back right away. Its lots of fun because they fight pretty good and taste great when fresh.

"Whack em' and stack em',kill em' and grill em'" Ted Nugent

I was at cr for hours yesterday and did see lots of bows jumping but no salmon.

I'd suggest swapping trebles on spoons for single hooks, hook up ratio doesn't suffer and less risk of fouling.