• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Bear

Portable Ice Shanty

Bear

I am thinking of buying a new portable, my old one has seen better days. What is everyone using and what do you think is the best.

Bear.

Jayfishin

Clam yukon. Has worked pretty good for me. Would prefer a roomier model cause my kids are growing but for two people works nice. And can't beat portability. Popup tent style roomier but not as easy when u want to move locations.

Jay

post-195-0-50472700-1419901033_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

TroutHunter

I picked up the Clam Nanook on clearance at Canadian Tire just before Christmas... will be trying it out for the first time tomorrow. will let you know how it goes

** People often ask me why I like hunting and fishing so much... I tell them that those are the only places where my mind doesn't think.... You should really try it sometime! **

allymeagan

I have a shappell wide house, I love it. Fits two people, I have squeezed in a third but it's tight. Lots of room for one person and easy to heat with the buddy heater.

Fishog

I have had mine for three years now. Its starting to wear in spots. Duck tape works for those small holes. The poles inside also have started to stick/fall apart. Most of the little balls that slip into the holes have fallen out. I carry a bag full of nuts and bolts. Wish I had bought one of the insulated ones as the little buddy heater going inside seems to create moisture and it drips down on you.

HPIM3648.JPG

171152_177990412240540_3238163_o.jpg

Thefishleclair

I bought one of them red 6 man pop up tents. Eskimo? Real easy and pretty rommy

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

Kaptain Kirk

Otter Medium For Me Had One over Ten Years now. No Problems. Only Thing is its a Little Heavy to pull by hand, But with Sled a Okay.

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

The flip ups are nice for bigger lakes easy access just sled on to lake type of deal ,any time spent climbing hills or tight trails and those can be cumbersome and problematic , then a small tobboggan sleigh and pop up better suited for small remote locations. My 2 cents I have a sleigh shelter and now want a small pop up for remote lakes

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

levi64

I've had my clam Yukon TC,, (thermal top) for 5 years, no problems, still totally love using it. Easy to haul, even through the woods into small lakes, anywhere my sled goes the tobaggan will follow. Like the insulated roof, i don't get dripped on, JUst us a big buddy heater inside, more than enough heat, seats are very nice also, very comfortable and nice that they swivel. The tub is not huge but plenty of room for what you need, I can put my buddy heater, auger and baid bucket inside for pulling, no problems.

• Like 1

McGinnis_Fishing

I have the otter ice lodge and love it! Takes 30 seconds to flip tge tent over the sleight then your fishing. Its super easy to set up and fast if you like to change locations. The other tents you set up are a little bit more portable but they can be a b*tch to set up when it gets windy. Also if theres no snow you cant peg the tent down.

ribneck

I got the Eskimo quickfish 3i and I love it it's sets up super easy even if it's windy I put one anchor in the ice and tie a guide wire on first and never had any issues setting it up by myself it's holds the heat in very well just with a heater buddy me and a friend did a couple over nighters in it even some of the features i like are the heavy duty anchors, removable windows that are located so you can see out if sitting down in a chair, oversized bag which is nice at the end of the day packing up the only negative is it says it's a 3 man but really only big enough for 2 guys

• Like 1

Gwhunter99

I got the Eskimo quickfish 3i and I love it it's sets up super easy even if it's windy I put one anchor in the ice and tie a guide wire on first and never had any issues setting it up by myself it's holds the heat in very well just with a heater buddy me and a friend did a couple over nighters in it even some of the features i like are the heavy duty anchors, removable windows that are located so you can see out if sitting down in a chair, oversized bag which is nice at the end of the day packing up the only negative is it says it's a 3 man but really only big enough for 2 guys

X2!

WalleyeWayne

I have the Eskimo 3-man pop-up also. Ice anchors secure it in any conditions and wind can p*ss yah off popping it up, but it can be done in relative short time. Down side is mobility as opposed to a flip-over, but then again you gain room over a flip-over. The neoprene sweats when using a buddy heater, so I've found that a Coleman lantern is sometimes enough heat. If I was to buy again, I would try an insulated one but as far as brands/models, they're like fish finders or graphs. They all have specific features, but generally work equally as well. For me price & size didcates the cost, not brand. Get that new one Bear and call me when yer ready to break it in!

• Like 1

Northoman

I bought an Eskimo Fat Fish (4 man) last year and find it's roomy enough for my son and I. We walk into lakes with a sled and find that it fits nicely on our sled but have also carried it with the built in backpack straps. Set up and breaks down are quick and easy, the over sized bag always fits not matter how stiff the fabric and my fingers are. Lots of windows to watch outside lines from or you can put the flaps up and darken the room to watch down the holes. I keep the tie down lines permanently on the 4 corners so it only takes a few seconds to set the ice screw anchor and hook the tie down on when necessary. Overall a quick,light and roomy hut.

AB

Bear,

One shelter isn't going to do it all.......I have a variety in both the pop-up and pull over models.

You need to ask yourself a couple of questions......

Do you fish alone most of the time or do you share a shelter with a buddy?

Do you go in by skidoo or do you hike in with your gear? if you are hiking, do you tow a sleigh or carry a pack?

Do you want to have your 2nd line in the shelter with you as often as possible?

I have a medium otter cabin - works great, holds all the gear and two guys can fish inside comfortably. Its heavy and no fun to pull around on foot. For more portability, and a single man shelter, I have a small clam - I think its the Yukon? Great for fishing on my own, but its just me and one line inside. Last but not least, the Eskimo Fat Fish comes out when its time to share the shack with a couple of buddies. I've had 3 guys and 6 lines down inside with room to spare.

I started with the otter, and added other shelters over the years as I identified equipment that would better suit the situations I was fishing in.

iceman