• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Bottom Bouncer

Soft Baits

Bottom Bouncer

Does anyone on this site use rubber swim baits for Walleye ? What is your preference in manufacturer, length, style etc... I have been looking at the Berkley Ripple Shad and Trigger X. Any thoughts ?

REELBAIT

ribneck

I have used rubber swimbaits for walleye with success usually late into the season once the water temps go down and the walleye are deeper I prefer the river2sea bottom walkers they are weighted swimbait with strong durable hooks and a different variety of colours opposed to the typical berkly or rapala colours which I find with most of the river2sea products

Some Old Guy

I like them in current. Also did ok in deeper water with them. Trigger x worked for me.

Roger.

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Davis Viehbeck

Fishing them around shallow cover, especially weed edges and windswept boulder piles on a hut summer day can be stellar when the fish move up shallow. There are a bunch of good ones out there. Gord Pyzer and Doug Stange popularized the technique using the Berkley Hollowbelly swim baits. I like using actual swim bait jigs on 4.5" versions. These jigs have the hook gap and length needed to get consistent hook ups. I also recommend fishing these baits on a medium heavy action spinning rod with super line and a fluoro leader. The super line helps drive the bigger hook into a fish's mouth. The Trigger X Paddle Tail Minnows seem to work quite well. I've played with a bunch of different brands.

Lyle Reiner

Larry the zoom super fluke rigged like live bait has worked well for me in the past

Prostaff For

Lowrance Canada

SherpaJ

Rip jigging 5" GULP! Jerkshad or Crazy Legs Jerkshad with 3/8-3/4 oz jigs down deep (super line with fluoro leader required) in the middle of summer will often out fish live bait. Alternately, I'll back troll from 1-2mph with the same setup along large breaks. Both work great in covering an area quickly and catching the large, aggressive fish. First pass is always the best when you work a spot right; unless you absolutely annihilated them, it's best to hit another spot right after the first pass. I've experimented with a lot of the other soft baits and techniques, but I've consistently had the most success with Gulp. In spring it's trickier to get the walleye to eat plastics, but you can still get them. Bright sunny spring days are great for pitching plastics in the shallows for walleye, but even on those very slow, cold-front days, I'm not afraid of (rather than downsizing) using a 4" Gulp Minnow in a little deeper water. Your numbers are going to be less, but the chances for big fish are greater.

Brad Rissanen

I'm sure if the conditions are perfect you can get a walleye to eat rubber, but why struggle with rubber when there are great bait dealers all over the area? Walleye eat meat...support your local bait dealer.

• Like 3

Bottom Bouncer

I'm sure if the conditions are perfect you can get a walleye to eat rubber, but why struggle with rubber when there are great bait dealers all over the area? Walleye eat meat...support your local bait dealer.

Rubber Steak or a real 10 oz Bacon Wrapped Fillet hot off the Grill ? Point Well Taken!

REELBAIT

SherpaJ

If you're out fishing only to get your limit of walleye, then all the power to you and your live bait. Clearly you've never fished a hot walleye bite with aggressive tactics – some of the most fun you can have while fishing. To some, fishing is more than just a hobby and/or means of putting meat on the table; it's a challenge! A game of sorts, where you create a plan to try and out smart your prey with the reward being numbers of above average fish with the occasional trophy and the even greater reward of watching them swim away, knowing they'll only get bigger and can be caught again.

I seldom go out walleye fishing without live bait, but it's never the fist thing I try.

Trevor Zimak

If you're out fishing only to get your limit of walleye, then all the power to you and your live bait. Clearly you've never fished a hot walleye bite with aggressive tactics – some of the most fun you can have while fishing. To some, fishing is more than just a hobby and/or means of putting meat on the table; it's a challenge! A game of sorts, where you create a plan to try and out smart your prey with the reward being numbers of above average fish with the occasional trophy and the even greater reward of watching them swim away, knowing they'll only get bigger and can be caught again.

I seldom go out walleye fishing without live bait, but it's never the fist thing I try.

Clearly, I am not the only one laughing right now... lol

• Like 2

Some Old Guy

Sherpa, this is Brad Rissanen. Brad, this is SherpaJ.

Just thought I would introduce Sherpa to Brad. Clearly, they haven't met before.

Roger

• Like 2

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

SherpaJ

I'm getting the impression now that the comment was sarcastic? lol. Maybe I was a little forward hahaha. My apologies!

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

and only 6 more months till take off :D

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

Brad Rissanen

No sweat Sherpa, I was just having a little fun with Bottom Bouncer. Fact is, I've been known to throw rubber for walleyes a time or two.