• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Castnblast

Steelhead Glossary

Castnblast

"The Duck" made a post under the 'Wolf River " thread yesterday that included some great thoughts. One important point he made was that this very forum exists "in part" to educate. (I couldn't agree more) - and that we should have a discussion about the ethic and culture of steelheading. Check it out if you get a chance.

In order to have a conversation about the above - a few random steelhead terms routinely tossed around campfires and tailgates need to be defined.

They are included here to help educate those not aware of some of the more common expressions steelheaders use. These loose definitions also expose a few touchy ethical issues - and, depending on how you interpret them, shed some insight into the culture of steelhead fisherman in this neck of the woods. (they are also included for a little fun - are of my opinion only - and please feel free to add to - or correct me if in your opinion, I'm off base in any instance)

Head - the oxygen rich section at the very top of a run or pool.

Gut / Belly - the middle part of a run or pool that is the deepest section.

Tail-out - the lower or bottom section of a pool or run where the water velocity accelerates and shallows up.

Lock Jaw - fish that have shut down or won't take due to unfavourable conditions or repeated molestation

Molested Fish - fish that have been excessively harassed by multiple anglers

Stacked Fish - numbers of fish congested in small areas often due to bottlenecks or other physical stream barriers such as chutes, wiers, ledges or waterfalls

Strike Zone - the distance a fish will move to grab a fly or lure

Rested Pool - a pool that has had a break from excessive angling pressure

Kelt - physically thin fish that has spawned, and in the process of migrating back to the lake

Drop Back - same as a kelt

Mended Kelt - a spawned out fish, that has recovered from the rigours of the spawn. These are fish that have fed aggressively and re-gained the silvery sheen of clean fish. Often you can catch these fish at the mouth of the rivers, where - "while on the mend", they slide in and out of the lower reach of the river to feed if water conditions and food sources are favourable.

Looper - an inferior fish of the Kamloops strain, "stocked" in US tribs by State DNR's. These are poor fighting inferior fish that don't belong in our fishery. You'll find higher populations of Loopers south of the border toward Duluth, although there a few larger north shore rivers that you will regularly attract loppers. Why would certain North Shore rivers attract or hold populations of Loopers??? Ask "JG".

JG - "Jon George", a noted steelhead expert, OMNR Biologist with 40+ years of fishery management experience, the energy behind the winter Squeers Lake Trout meley and the mastermind of the Portage Creek Steelhead Program. Jon is a true gentleman and a valued member of Thunder Bay Fishing who has forgot more about steelhead than what most of us collectively know. If you are an young aspiring steelhead angler, that wants to learn something, you'll benefit from talking to - or better yet - fishing with this man. He regularly attends most NSSA meetings.

Boot - a dark, drop back in poor physical condition

Chromer - fresh silver fish, also known as "Mint"

Clean Fish - healthy fish void of scars

Buck - male fish

Skip Jack - young buck

Ripe Buck - a male spewing milt

Hen - female fish

Skien - the internal membrane that contains unmature eggs tight within the body cavity of a hen. Each hen has two skiens.

Ripe Hen - a female fish whose eggs are "loose" and have separated from the skien.

Raped Hen - a "ripe" hen that has been squeezed of it's loose eggs to replenish a bait supply before she can deposit them to a "redd"

Redd - the nest a female digs in gravel with her tail. Redds are often found in tail-outs and are recognizable by a lighter coloured depression in the stream bed. Note - knowingly stepping on redds classifies you as a "loogan"

Loogan - an unethical angler who is not respectful of our resource or other fisherman.

Yahoo's - two or more loogans trampling redds in a tailout or partaking in other questionable acts such as:

Up-Holing - the unethical act of pushing in front of an angler who is in position and preparing to fish a run or section of water.

Down-Holing - the unethical act of moving in below an angler stepping into water he is about to cover.

(Note - it is not unethical to fish above - or below a "Camper")

Camper - an angler who knowingly claims or sits in one spot for an excessive amount of time.

Lined fish - the unethical act of the repeated drifting of a fly or lure "past" a fish so that the fishing line actually intersects with the open maw of a breathing trout in such a way that it provides the opportunity to yank back and sink the hook into the side of its mouth. (note - fish are most often lined in tail-outs or other shallow sections of water where they are highly visible and vunerable)

Littering - one of the most un-forgiveable acts of loogans.

F'n Yapper - an inexperienced angler with loose lips. (Note - most loogans are also notorious f'n yappers - and both loogans and inexperienced anglers are capable of maturing to become " experienced steelheaders"

The most dangerous thing a yapper or loogan can do to place undue pressure on sensitive fishery - yap on the Internet

Things that annoy experienced steelheaders most - Yappers, Campers and Loogans.

FINAL NOTE - MOST - OF NOT ALL "experienced", steelheaders go through various stages of "yapping and looganitis" prior to maturing into the ethical, effective angler they are today. NO REAL steelhead angler is "above" any other on the river, regardless of sex, age, creed, social status or experience - and the VERY BEST "steelheaders" are the ones willing to share information - in an ethically appropriate manner according to the "unwritten code" - that helps the less experienced learn to respect the resource - and grow as responsible anglers. In my opinion, Lorne Allard is our very best.

That said, the best thing about steelheading, is not always the fish. It's about catching up with friends we may not have seen in a while, sharing a few laughs - and getting outside and getting close to moving water after 5 months of ice and winter. If we get lucky, we hook a wrestle with a few chromers - and shake hands with a clean bullet.

See ya on the river...

cnb

• Like 2

Big Guy

Great post. I can honestly say that I never did catch on to the steelhead fishing idea. I tried it a few times, caught nothing but a cold and gave up. I do appreciate the information though, and maybe one day, I will try again, trying to avoid being a "loogan".

I must admit, when I was younger, I didn't have anybody to show me the ropes so I just went to some of the more popular haunts for steelhead, and hoped for the best. I will admit I didn't exactly receive a warm welcome on the rivers and in fact a few times I was asked to leave an area because it was someone else's, even though I was the first to arrive. It didn't take me long to see that it wasn't for me. I only ever hooked into one, and I was not anywhere near ready for the ensuing fight. It had me wrapped around the nearest log before I knew what was happening.

Once again thanks for the information, hopefully others will find it useful as well.

walleyebob

thanks for the info but what is wrong with sitting in one spot for a long time ("camper")especially if your catching fish, and if your there at the crack of dawn to drop that first line :fishing1: ?

Some Old Guy

I'll add a couple too!

Bugle Nosed Trout- Sucker

Flossing- Similar to Lined Fish. Which is very similar to snagging which is, according to the regs.....

A Floater- Not the one in the toilet but a released fish (can be any species of fish) that is bound to become seagull fodder.

Ledge Fishing. Standing on a fragile ice ledge over deeper fast water.

Rodinmouthmonkeycliffscaling. What nutbar steelheaders do to reach pristine waters where no one else goes.

Hot Breath, Commonly known as the "Get Up from the Bush Nap Slowly" This is when a steelhead wakes up from his nap to find a bear breathing on him.

Drift Bag. A steelheader who fell in the water and his waders fill up and he's heading downstream!

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

NoUseForAName_GW

a couple more,

riffle, the broken suface water at the edges of the head or run

eddies, current moving upsteam beside the main flow.

flogging, the act of fishing a hole of run.

Torpedo's or bullets, floats flying back at anglers at high velosities after a missed hookset.

(these are dangerous)

Gavin