• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
gsambray

Titmarsh Lake

gsambray

just wondering if anyone has ever fished this lake and what species of fish are in there

Guest Dano67

There's wallys and lakers in Titmarsh and of course, pike. If you are planning on going there take my advice and pack light. You first have to carry all your gear (including your boat) 200 feet from your truck to the first lake walking on a boardwalk thats floating on muskeg. Then you motor a 1/4 mile across a little puddle lake until you get to the far shore. You then unpack, carry all your stuff 200 feet across a gravel bar and then,put the boat back in again. Now you are in Titmarsh. It's usually a fun trip but it's not something you want to do every day.

That being said, there are some new roads close to the lake that may have other access' put in that I don't know about.

Dan

gsambray

thanks for the info. i am going to do some more research on some new roads there too.

Guest Dano67

It was funny the first time I went there. Here's my brother and I sweating our butts off carrying everything across the second portage and we look up to see a 20 foot pontoon boat pulled up on shore. It's like ??????????. Turns out that most if not all of the 8-10 camps on the lake are owned by Americans and they dragged the pontoon boat in over the ice.

naden

There are some roads in the area but the access to the lake is the same as always, across the portages.

Jarvis

I went to Titmarsh a couple years ago in June and caught some lakers and a few thick pike. Only one walleye though in 24 hours of fishing between four guys. Don't know if we weren't in the right spots or what but we packed up camp and left to find them on a different lake. Definately need to pack light!

Fishog

When Firesteel was cutting up in that area they came pretty close to the lake. So close that people made a quad trail to the lake. It didn't last long after the treefarmer operator who works for Firesteel discovered the trail. You see he figures it's his lake to fish on so he made the trail impassable to travel on. In the spring time like opening weekend you can find him and all his buddy's drinking up a storm at the lake. There are some really big walleyes in that lake, you just have to know where to fish for them.

Guest Slowey

fishog you sound a bit bitter. perhaps was it you that made the quadtrail? Sure the operator was in the wrong for wrecking the trail but it is also highly frowned apon for making a quad trail into a lake, non the less one that has lake trout in it.

Guest Dano67

Well, I can't say I agree with that point. Why would it be highly frowned upon to make your own trail into a lake to go fishing in? So we can save it for non-residents to have their own private fishing at a non-resident owned lodge on our own crown land. Forget it! I've cut at least a couple different trails into lakes that were made accesible by new logging roads and I can promise you that I'm not about to ask for forgiveness over it - Trout or not. If I want to put in the sweat, I'll enjoy the results. That's part of the problem - the ministry wants you to pay someone to enjoy what should be everyones right - access to fish for your own enjoyment. I 100% disagree with the MNR policy of digging up culverts or bridges to prevent access into area's. We all subsidize the logging roads. I don't ask the MNR to spend money to keep them open, but at the same time I don't want the MNR to spend money they say they don't have, to float excavators all over the country to dig ditches across publicly funded roads to prevent access. Leave them alone until they are unpassable and quit trying to make things difficult for the people who pay your salaries.

Comments???

Dan

uncle

Years ago I made a trail accross a cutover to access a lake and caught royal hell from the MNR. I never cut any trees, only lowered about 50 stumps so my pickup cold drive to the tree line next to the lake. I was lucky not to be charged and lucky to be caught when I was because I had intentions to remove a dozen trees so I could back right to the lake which would have been an expensive no-no.

naden

I am not going to get into whether or not I agree with cutting trails into lakes but I know that any trails cut into lakes require a work permit from the mnr and the mnr also seems to frown upon any development to lake trout lakes, whether it be trails, launches or buildings. I think this is because there are not very many lake trout lakes and most of them are in ontario. The great part about fishing in this area is that we have all types of access to lakes. We have everything from paved launches to lakes that have no trails at all and I think it should stay this way. If all our lakes had easy access the fishing probably wouldnt be very good and lakes would be crowded. The area at titmarsh where the trail was cut is also a sensitive area having a naturally regenerating red and white pine stand. This isnt something you see everywhere around here. When the area was cut, a wider than normal buffer zone was created sacrificing harvestable timber to protect this area. It wouldnt take long before that quad trail turned into a road and the area became crowded with campers and a no overnight camping sign goes up like at burchill lake or damage to the trees like bedivere. I like to think that the people who are willing to work to get into a lake will respect the area more than the weekend partiers who go to drive to lakes.

Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

Monks

Ah Dan. The MNR has not maintained a logging road in years. The private forestry companies build them and pay for maintenance. Yes said forest companies received some funding the last couple years, but they also put out a lot of money. You are a little behind on your info. You mentioned "comments". Update yourself.

fishingfinn

Well, I can't say I agree with that point. Why would it be highly frowned upon to make your own trail into a lake to go fishing in? So we can save it for non-residents to have their own private fishing at a non-resident owned lodge on our own crown land. Forget it! I've cut at least a couple different trails into lakes that were made accesible by new logging roads and I can promise you that I'm not about to ask for forgiveness over it - Trout or not. If I want to put in the sweat, I'll enjoy the results. That's part of the problem - the ministry wants you to pay someone to enjoy what should be everyones right - access to fish for your own enjoyment. I 100% disagree with the MNR policy of digging up culverts or bridges to prevent access into area's. We all subsidize the logging roads. I don't ask the MNR to spend money to keep them open, but at the same time I don't want the MNR to spend money they say they don't have, to float excavators all over the country to dig ditches across publicly funded roads to prevent access. Leave them alone until they are unpassable and quit trying to make things difficult for the people who pay your salaries.

Comments???

Dan

If you want to put in the sweat, then go into Titmarsh like everyone else does...through the portage. I was there the weekend that guys took quads to get into the lake. Nothing ruins a peaceful weekend of camping like a quad buzzing by your campsite on the beach. Titmarsh access is just fine the way it is...there are plenty of other lake that can be accessed by truck and quad...

Fishog

fishog you sound a bit bitter. perhaps was it you that made the quadtrail? Sure the operator was in the wrong for wrecking the trail but it is also highly frowned apon for making a quad trail into a lake, non the less one that has lake trout in it.

LOL

I'm not bitter at all. Dont own a quad and never will. Hate them for that matter.....like someone said they make for a very poor weekend for piece and quite.

I was just telling you there was a trail and now theres not and why it wont ever happen. You really should not assume things if you dont know what the hell your talking about.

Guest fancy pants

Comments???

Dan

100 percent in agreement!

Guest fancy pants

Ah Dan. The MNR has not maintained a logging road in years. The private forestry companies build them and pay for maintenance. Yes said forest companies received some funding the last couple years, but they also put out a lot of money. You are a little behind on your info. You mentioned "comments". Update yourself.

But leaving the road intact would be nice......more access to more places would lead to less over crowding.

Guest Smack Um

Well, I can't say I agree with that point.Leave roads alone until they are unpassable and quit trying to make things difficult for the people who pay your salaries.

Comments???

Dan

I agree 100% I for one have seen enough roads closed,bridges torn up and signs stating you can not go past this point to access this that or the other!

Then again if you vote for a "Draft Dodger like Bruce Hyers NDP" don't be suprized when things like this do become real!

AM I RIGHT OR AM I WRONG! :fire:

Patrick

WalleyeWayne

We've iced it for lakers and usually hooked a few each time out...but nothing very big. Someone had attempted to "disrupt" the trail, but was not enough to hinder us with the sleds. Have yet to hook a walleye in there though...?

drago82

Has anyone been into titmarsh this year? I was thinking about giving it a try but not if I need to break trail. Where would the road be plowed to?

Thanks

Foz

I agree that the people who put in the work to get to remote lakes or build a trail are more respectful of the area