• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Some Old Guy

2011 S.S.S.

Some Old Guy

First off and foremost I want to thank those that helped out with the Shebandowan Smallouth Showdown.

Danielle, Lori, Cathy, Gwen, Linda, Susan, Jesse, Andy and Courtney. This cound not have been accomplished without you! A big huge Thanks goes out to them.

I would also like to thank the Committee, Trevor, George and Tom. Thanks Guys.

Day One we were a little short handed and therefore the weigh in at the beach was cluttered but it got done. Jesse and Andy were running like crazy!

Day Two Courtney came out and lended a hand and things went better.

Now that being said and I thought about this quite a bit the last couple of days. I'm getting a little too old to be sleeping in the front seat of a truck. I'm still sore! (I can't imagine running buckets of fish for two days straight!) This tourney takes a weekend away from my family and it costs me a couple hundred dollars from my own pocket to run. Also we all worked very hard to get this tournament running and I have heard a few comments calling the S.S.S. a Gongshow. Like I said we all worked very hard using our own time and money to run this and we really do not need to be hearing comments like those. I really like constructive comments and if certain people see how things could be improved, I would have loved to hear them.

Therefore I think I'm going to step down from the S.S.S. It seems like a younger man's game to run this.

Once again thanks to everyone who helped out and making the 2011 a success!

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Bear

First, I am sorry to hear you are stepping down Roger. Your efforts over the years are truly appreciated. It is no easy task to organize and pull off one of theses events. I sometimes wonder when we are waiting to weigh in how you and your skeleton crew of great volunteers pull it off. It is a great tournament and I will continue to make the trek every year. I have said it before, great fishery, great tournament, great people.

Secondly, to the people who have made such comments, now is the time to step up to the plate and take over the tournament. Lets see what you got. Good luck, see you next year.

Roger, if you have ever considered fishing the SSS, I would be happy to partner with you. My treat.

Bear

Guest Run N Gun

Roger, first of all thanks to you and your crew! People really need to take into consideration what it take to put this on and how many people are required and I say you guys really pulled it off this year.

You ask what improvements could be made? Well I'm sure you know what you could have done do to improve this if you had more hands on deck. The lack of the volunteers is the unfortunate short fall of this and I know it’s hard to find these people.

The comments about this being a "gong show" are way off, the only “gong show” I seen where the people leaving their stressed fish behind for you to deal with.

I'm sure the SSS can continue successfully with the support of more volunteers and constructive input!

Thanks for getting this started and making it what it is today, I have had a lot of fun participating in this year after year.

Kevin

BIG SMOKE

Agreed. I think you and your crew have done a great job!! After talking to you at Frazer, I sensed that this was in the cards for you. You can only give so much of your own time and money. I am sure that there are enough people involved in the derby that have the resources (monetary donations) to help alleviate this burden on the volunteers. I am sure that with a few contributions from some local businesses, the volunteers weekend could be paid for. It'll be interesting to see who comes to the plate in the future. Maybe it's just the fact that people did not realize what you or the others had been giving? As for the comments about it being a "gongshow"...it would be interesting to see who it is? There's a good chance that it's the same people with deep pockets and short arms. Just my opinion.

BL

tracker

Lots of people don't have any idea on how much time is involved when your are a volunteer and committed to it. I'm not talking about driving the kids to the soccer game on a Saturday afternoon. I'm talking about being committed to an event/committee/organization that consumes your time whenever your not at work (and even during work sometimes), 365 days a year. I am sure just after this event had finished, the organizers and volunteers were already making plans for next year. And like previously mentioned, there is a monetary expence that the volunteers have to pay sometimes. A hats off to all volunteers who participate, most events would not be able to function without them.

Tracker

Team NOSA Homepage

Born to Fish, Forced to Work

<')(((((>{

Guest pipercub

Hey Roger

Thank you for all your efforts over the years. I think everyone would agree with the resources and volunteers you had to work with and for the volunteers that helped you guys made the best of it and did a great job. I wouldn't let the comments get to you as just like anything everyone has better ideas or improvements they would like to see. The thing is these have to be brought forward in a positive manner if anyone wants to see things change. I think a little rest and relaxation away is on the menu. I do hope you reconsider as you are definetly an asset to this tourney and northern community as well. One thing I can suggest is having a open meeting somewhere casual where ideas can be brought forward and people can step up and take on some of the tasks. Maybe then we can see more volunteers and get the help needed to lessen some of the burden put on such a small group of people that have really been giving it there all.

Thanks Again

JG

Some Old Guy

Thanks everyone.

Actually since this post I started went up there has been some steps forward made. The comment of the "gongshow" was made towards the day one weigh in. I admit it was a little out of control as we didn't have enough to man the beach. The person explained themselves and I'm ok with it. We just lacked the man power to pull off day one.

So lets see what happens with me not having to sleep in my truck!!!! That's my biggest issue. It was pick your death. Either roast or lose blood from the bugs.........

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

JLoew

This was our first year fishing the Shebandowan Tournament and I must say it all seemed to have went great. It is not easy organizing 140 chaotic fisherman ready to get in and out of the water at once, plus do a weigh in in between. I thought Roger and the crew handled it as well as anyone could have, especially since some of the participants weren't listening to the instructions for weigh in from the start. One recommendation is I think a donation can should be set up at the launch, and the morning coming in most everyone would have the courtesy to through in $10 or $20 donation to aid the crew in getting rooms and pay a little gas. The tourney entry looks like it goes mostly to prize money, advertising and operating costs, with nothing taken out for the actual costs of the people running the show over the weekend. If most fisherman would through in a small donation to help keep the show going, it would amount to $700-$1400 extra bucks for the crew doing all the work. :fishing1:

Jayfishin

Great job on the SSS again Roger! My partner , who came up from southern Ontario, who I used to fish with down there during my high school years, had a blast. He is already looking forward to coming back for 2012.

Its too bad that the launch is a 'no camping area' because I'm sure someone could have set you up some better accomodations.

Hopefully the SSS continues in 2012. Although I do want to fish the tourny again next year, I am willing to help out as needed, just send me a PM and let me know what you need.

Thanx

Jay

Guest FishinOutrageous

Hey Roger,

This was our first year at The Shebandowan Smallmouth Showdown and only our 2nd tourney ever and i had an awesome time. I thought you and the volunteers did an OUTRAGEOUS job. You even took the time to congradulate me and my partner and that ment alot thanks a million Roger!

James Hill & Garrett Hughes

Team Fishin' Outrageous