• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
fishman1

rotten moose

fishman1

my friend from work was hunting in the whitefish lake area and shot a cow and calf. the animals were brought back to town and hung in his garage. when they skinned them, the necks on both animals were green and stinky. no bullet wounds or anything else. he is telling the story at work when a carpenter tells of a friend who harvested a bull moose in the adrian lake area. when guuting the moose, they opened up the chest cavity and it was rotten as well. again no bullet or arrow wounds. any one else have similiar storys. any ideas of what might have happened. the bull was brought to the mnr, but i dont know of the outcome.

randomheroj

in the last three years ive heard about 3 bulls in 11b having the same green stinky rotten smells...

naden

About 4 years ago a guy I worked with shot a bull in 11b that was green and smelt off. The mnr looked at it and told him not to consume it.

fishman1

i thought that maybe they left the windpipe in the moose while cleaning it. and that this caused it, but they said it wasnt left in the moose.

Fisherman08

Hey Guys

In any of these cases, did the MNR replace your or there tags because of this. Just wondering.

With regards to the Bulls, being green and stinky, could it be possible that it was injuries not seen from the exterior of the animal sustained by the Bulls fighting during the rut. As for the Cow & Calf weird or what. Maybe a new type of desease happening with in the moose herds?????

Guest mucky

I have heard of people filling there tags but when they cleaned and skinned the animals there was a old injury from a bullet. When they asked the MRN about it, I am pretty sure they were told kind that it was unfortunate, but the tag was still used up for the year now.

naden

Hey Guys

In any of these cases, did the MNR replace your or there tags because of this. Just wondering.

With regards to the Bulls, being green and stinky, could it be possible that it was injuries not seen from the exterior of the animal sustained by the Bulls fighting during the rut. As for the Cow & Calf weird or what. Maybe a new type of desease happening with in the moose herds?????

The guy I worked with had to use his tag on the animal and told he could not get a replacement tag.

filletandrelease

No chance it was from too much heat? (not skinning it soon enough in warm weather)

sportspal

maybe the animals were wounded, by fighting , wolves, etc, I just seen a deer the neck and part of the hind was rottten, becasue it appears to have been in a fight and there were several holes in it.

gsambray

i'd agre with the injuries since I have seen 1 this year a lage bull that had the same effect with the greenish smelly area but was the rib cage area. no bullet wounds were the smell was but had a few broken ribs and missing hair from fighting

Thefishleclair

Cold wether or not the Critters can still keep and generate heat from hide being left on. I skin mine if I know its gunna be cool out, The sooner I can get the hide off I do. Warmer weather I leave the Hide on until its time to butcher, 1-2 Days but I place a fan on a spread open Chest Cavity or buy some Ice and place it inside.

Another Note if Neck Meat is going green or spoiling it may be doing this if the Vent or throat is left in. This funny lookin tube carrys some crazy Bacteria and speeds up the spoilage, Same with uncleaned pelvis openings where we break em to remove anus and bladder.

Other times it is Bruises, Bullets or infections that spoil an area. Seen some Freaky Puss Balls in game animals but there usually is a bullet or something in the area of it. :sick:

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB