• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
arvey

another early thaw. could it spell trouble for the walleyes.

James01

Go out have a great time... eat a nice bowl of nuggets...slosh back a few and have a great time...as for being disruptive

Sorry you on your own

Scruffy Rude Montairy Sparkling Harmon Wapakamaski Seseganaga and the spring at Chapple??? Hmmm Sorry don"t know where that is

I can even show you where the minnows live Slippery buggers

"Scruffy Rude Montairy Sparkling Harmon Wapakamaski Seseganaga and the spring at Chapple" Nicely said... I tend to spend a lot of my time on Pakashkan, and a few of the smaller lakes in the area. It has been a long time since I was on some of the lakes you mentioned.

I got a few minnow spots in the area.

I will not be heading up that way until the summer, my early season fishing will be happening closer to Thunder Bay.

Many Men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

- Henry David Thoreau

Pumpkinhead

Great point Munshaw, I think you are spot on. If the weather cooperates the last few weeks of ice fishing can be so productive that it can sometimes resemble the main "opener". I just don`t think that most guys are prepared as yet to hit early ice out lakes with boats. I am sure that there will be a few diehards out there, but switching gears so quickly from hard to soft water might hold back the average fisherman who may have been out for the last few weeks of the ice season. The problem with posts like these ( and I am in no way flaming Arvey) is that they sometimes plant seeds of misinformation that take root and soon there is a call for ANOTHER regulation change because of a weather anomoly. An early ice out a few years apart does not a pattern make. I would take it for what it is.. a nice bonus to be enjoyed not exploited.Like the saying goes 'its ok to milk the cow just don`t rip the tits off the thing'

arvey

it was not my intention to plant any seed of misinformation to change any regulation. the seed was planted 2 yrs ago all i did was bring forward a past exp. from 20 yrs ago . at that time i asked somebody who has way more exp. than me in these matters and i received a reasonable answer that made sence to me. all i was trying show is that changeing the reg. is not the way to go.

arvey

Guest Angler AV

Personally I would much rather see an early thaw. There is alot more angling pressure on walleyes during the first two weeks after the opener in May than the last two weeks of the season in April. For the most part the same anglers that would usually be on the ice in April will now be in boats.

There will not be the same pressure as the first two weeks after opener simply because most people will not have boats ready and the weather is not great.

I am confident that there will be less impact to the fishery from 2 weeks of open water at the beginning of April than there would if it was a normal year with lots of ice and t-shirt weather on Lac. The minivans would be out in full force loading up with walleye.

I was out 2 years ago in the Savanne and saw about 15-20 boats and most of the fish being caught were small males.

I would be in favour if they put a reg in place to limit fish kept to 18" and under from April 1st -15th in Sawmill Bay regardless of whether there is ice or open water.

joks

There will not be the same pressure as the first two weeks after opener simply because most people will not have boats ready and the weather is not great.

I am confident that there will be less impact to the fishery from 2 weeks of open water at the beginning of April than there would if it was a normal year with lots of ice and t-shirt weather on Lac. The minivans would be out in full force loading up with walleye.

I was out 2 years ago in the Savanne and saw about 15-20 boats and most of the fish being caught were small males.

I would be in favour if they put a reg in place to limit fish kept to 18" and under from April 1st -15th in Sawmill Bay regardless of whether there is ice or open water.

Agreed 100%

joks

This was posted in the ask MNR section in response to a question from canucker

The walleye spawn is influenced by several environmental factors that include water temperature, water flow and daylight length. A water temperature of approximately 7 º C is needed for walleye to begin spawning. The Fisheries Management Zone 6 walleye season closure (April 15th – 3rd Saturday in May) has usually been early enough and long enough to protect walleye when they are staging and spawning. Having an early ice-out has its advantages.

As an example, there were approximately 200 ice shacks on Lac Des Milles Lacs this winter with ice fishing being essentially over on March 18th because of deteriorating ice conditions. The fishing pressure that we’re not seeing now because of the poor ice conditions may be moved to the period just prior to April 15th when people can get their boats into open water. However, the overall difference in fishing pressure and harvest will likely be negligible.

MNR can vary season dates by zone or by areas within a zone but the process typically takes 6-8 months and must be communicated to the public, usually through the annual Recreational Fishing Regulations Summary.

MNR has several water temperature monitoring stations throughout the district that track long term climate trends. This information could be used to make decisions about future changes to closed seasons to better protect spawning fish.

Guest JEG67

And here I thought that "closed seasons" were just so anglers could have some time to put their augers away and get the big mercs fired up. The biologist types all say it's to protect fish at their most vulnerable times during spawn and post spawn. Hmm. Countless articles say the #1 factor for spawn start up IS rising water temps after ice leaves. I've been fishing and closley watching primarily one lake my whole life and can tell you that the ' ice out times' year to year DO affect the spawn. This lakes' rivers have been protected by the MNR thankfully. If the MNR decides that LAC or other lakes need help during the traditional spawn , then so be it.

Should we fish in early spawn conditions during "ice" fishing season ? In my opinion no. The MNR has tried to set close seasons based on regional weather, traditional spawning times and high fishing pressure areas. In addition, they've closed traditional spawning areas starting April 1 to further help the vulnerable fish. I believe harvesting spawning walleyes during this time negates the efforts of the MNR biologists to help vulnerable fisheries.

My two cents.....

uncle

Should we fish in early spawn conditions during "ice" fishing season ? In my opinion no. The MNR has tried to set close seasons based on regional weather, traditional spawning times and high fishing pressure areas. In addition, they've closed traditional spawning areas starting April 1 to further help the vulnerable fish. I believe harvesting spawning walleyes during this time negates the efforts of the MNR biologists to help vulnerable fisheries.

My two cents.....

A walleye harvested in June is a walleye that will not spawn next April. The MNR has set season closing and opening dates to protect the spawning but if you want to voluntarily extend the closed season on one end or the other go for it but their research is good enough for me.

WalleyeWayne

I walleye fished the river two years ago and although the fishing was decent, we never hooked a walleye over 15". Possibly poor technique - or possibly just males remaining in the river at that time of year. My son & I took home our 8 but not one of them had roe or milt...? I think that might have been the 1st spring walleye fishing trip where I didn't have milt all over my windshield! Nature giveth - and nature taketh away. We have more spring openers where we fret over ice-out than we do about early ice out so why not take advantage when we can? It seems like any time there is a non-typical season opener that many people become conservation experts. Read above what the MNR responded with - aren't they the ones that are supposed to be in the know?

Lyle Reiner

I fulllly intend to take advantage of the early thaw and hope to get out next weekend for some big pike. And maybe start practice for some walleye tourneys, I can assure that I'll be tossing the spawners back in the lake, I'll stay within my legal limit.

If everyone follows their legal limits then this should not be an issue!

Prostaff For

Lowrance Canada

crazyctr

there is one easy sulution to early pre spawn fishing for any species of fish if it has eggs toss it back just keep the males theres lots more of them then there is females

hbaits.jpg

Guest Munshaw

there is one easy sulution to early pre spawn fishing for any species of fish if it has eggs toss it back just keep the males theres lots more of them then there is females

Is this true? If you don't see milk/eggs spilling from the fish how can you tell which is which? Size only? Do males not get large? I know that typically the larger "fat mamas" with the swollen bellies are female, and I would not consider keeping one, but I'm not so sure about the fact that there is a lot more males than females in a population. Maybe more males are caught? I would think the population would be 50-50 unless there is some kind of selective pressure reducing females in the population.

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

only one way to tell male from female. ask the fish to make you sandwich. if it flip outs and gets mad its a female. any other response makes it a male.

there is method number 2 but i will let Roger go into those details

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

Wade O.

I still love these posts about two years ago by people who say " I wasn't there but I heard". If you weren't there then you don't know. I was out two springs ago for the early thaw, as someone mentioned there was only like 15-20 boats at the most. Most fish were in the 14-16" mark. I think I did get one like 20" but it was released. My perception is I think that was the only time I got on that lake all of last season (jan2010 to jan 2011), so I don't feel bad about keeping a couple of eaters. Also I've been out there in the past on April 5th, on the ice, and I would easily say there were a hundred trucks on that ice. You definately didn't see a hundred boats on the river. Also if the season is early that means by the time the opener comes around the fish have had that much longer to do what they have to do and give them better odds come opener. Therefore less late ice pressure and earlier season to protect the spawn around opener seems better to me in the long run. I can also tell you there were some reputable fisherman out that year of the early thaw who I would attest are not out to "rape and pillage" the resource, myself included.

WalleyeWayne

only one way to tell male from female. ask the fish to make you sandwich. if it flip outs and gets mad its a female. any other response makes it a male.

there is method number 2 but i will let Roger go into those details

Fricken hilarious! :D

WalleyeWayne

Without actually cutting the fish open and looking at the reproductive organs (a fish biologist of course) I don't know of another accurate way of determining a walleye sex. I was once told that there would be a 2nd hole to disperse the eggs if it were a female. I've checked many, many times and have never seen the "2nd hole". Is that because I've only caught males? I think not. Any ideas out there...?