• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Slick_Jig

Fixing leaking boat?

Slick_Jig

I bought a 12ft last year and was told it didn't leak but it sure does. I'm tryin to determine the best sealer to use. Does anyone have experience with this or a product that they recommend? It is leaking from the corner of the transum as well as at the front. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Gone Fishing

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

eddylives

Hey Slick.....lmao thats funny.

Is this a aluminum boat?

I have had to buck rivets to re seal leaks in the past , it will work to a point until they need to be replaced all together.

Have no fear of perfection.....you will never reach it

naden

Put the boat on saw horses or a boat trailer and fill it with some water and try and see exactly where it is leaking from, if it is just a rivet leaking you can try and tighten it up by hitting the outer head of the rivet while having someone hold a steel bar or another hammer on the back side of the rivet. Usually the rivets can be only tightened so much because they harden every time they are hit, also if the rivet has been loose for a while and vibrating in the hole the hold may be enlarged and you might need to drill the rivet out and put in a larger rivet. Norms boat repair on may street sells aluminum rivets. If you just want to put some sealant on it stay away from general rtvs and silicone sealants that contain acetic acid because it can be corrosive to aluminum......a marine store could probably recommend a good sealant to use.

crisop

i had a 12 footer that had a few leaky rivets. I used the green stick to seal them all up, used the boat 4 more times to make sure thier all sealed up, then i used the TAN coloured rubberized rocker guard from canadian tire to seal the whole bottom of the boat up, right from the bottom of the seats. 5 can to be exact and it hasnt leaked since and it's got grip as well and looks good

2017 Dog Lake Open Champion

Line Cutter

Fishy AF

Slick_Jig

The boat is aluminum. Seems like the water is coming through at a seam. Thanks for the tips. I'll let you know how it turns out

Gone Fishing

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

filletandrelease

if you have an air chisel you can modify a pointed end bit into a concave by grinding it flat and concaving it with a drill bit or a carbide burr oversize rivets are cheap and easy to install if you can find a helper to hold a big hammer or a bar against the back side.

Lyle Reiner

If you don't wanna mess around. Drill out the rivets and replace them. After that pick up a tube of sikaflex (synflex, can be purchased at Fgi on Walsh) and cover the seams! As synflex dries it stays flexible and is super strong and sticky (its made for sealing the roof of trailers among other things)

I had to do this last year to my 12'

Prostaff For

Lowrance Canada