• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest cwp2011

Steelhead rookie

Guest cwp2011

hey everyone, I really wanna go out and try for some steelhead but im not sure where to begin i dont know what to use for them, i dont know where to go even though ive seen people at the Mckenzie, and behind Dennis Franklin High School, also i dont know how to handle a steelhead if there is any special way to handle them safely for them... any help i dont need any special secret spots or tricks just some pointers for the basics to try and get one or two... thanks

Some Old Guy

Hi,

The first thing I did when I started was I just observed. Didn't bring a rod or anything. I just watched at the river and took note of what people were doing.

So I might recomend just starting off with a roe bag and bouncing the bottom. That's how I started before getting more advanced.

If you go into DnR they are more than willing to get you started by using basic gear (I started with my walleye gear) and basic set up for drifting a roe bag.

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Fishbum

i'll have to agree.. when i first strated is was with a 6,6 walleye rod, row bag on a small single hook, and a few split shot 18" up, and just bouced bottom, and learned to read the river. You'd be surprised at what you can learn by just paying attention to other anglers, and whathing the river...just think about where those fish are most likely to hold, and why. Even today i still am allways watching other avid steelheaders...watch where and how they fish, allways keep an open mind is # 1 !!

Good luck