• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
James01

Pools below Court Street now posted...

Snotrocket

Yea zero harvest would be a good idea more fish for me lol

fisherdude

I get where your coming from, but in my opinion/thoughts(which may be very wrong) it seems like every year there is more and more pressure on the steelies and especially a small creek that goes straight threw town that's so easily accessible. I was down there quite a bit this spring and some of the stuff i saw or heard about just wasn't right and the amount of fish being taken from that creek just at those falls alone just didn't seem like it would be able to sustain a very healthy population for much longer. Yes there is other rapids all the way up but there's nothing like those falls anywhere else on that creek, to my knowledge anyway. But like I said this is just my opinion and j think that the closure of that area had to happen.

Guest TerryK

Ok, purely hypothetical here/

Lets say there's about 600 fish that migrate into McVicar Creek (thats on the high side I'm guessing) If 6 people per day harvest a fish (on the low side) for six weeks thats 252 fish, close to half the population.

Include the 40% natural mortality and how long do you think that kind of mortality can be maintained? In my opinion, mortality on that stream has now exceeded the maximum sustainable yield, meaning the offspring produced are not replenishing the stock as fast as the adults are being harvested or dying of natural causes. Total collapse of the population is inevitable at that rate.

fisherdude

There's nothing wrong with keeping one here and there, noones saying that. It's about the people that are illegally doing it by snagging them and keeping multiple daily. That's what's just wrong.

arvey

i've deleted my previous posts. it seems like if you give your point of veiw that goes against the grain of what others think then you get dubed a trouble maker. i guess from now on i'll just yep your right no matter what it is. as for starting something mr.schmidt i'm very capable of doing so and i don't need to hide behind a keyboard.

arvey

• Like 2

Guest John Schmidt

:ph34r: lol well yea you think ide be this annoying and Don't you hate it when people don't clean up after their dogs and you step in it? in person, and when i do come on here, it is on my cell phone at work, and its usually being passed around with others laughing joking about what gets guys like you upset arvey, also to get helpful info if im having a bad day fishing, ill type whatever im Pizzzzed off about to here. if your rite about me being dubbed this or that, then meh, i hope the people that do know me, know im just an asshole whos pretty harmless.

Sorry Arv, im gunna go back and hide

for good lol

Thanks for all the good fish talk Yall

Guest northcoaster

well i must chime in here,first i have fished that little creek for 35 yrs,so i know a thing or two about the system,just for the record.that being said the mnr or the nssa never gave two craps about that little creek for yrs and i mean yrs,yeah they spent time and countless hours on the current river system,and babied the mac and neebing,but did nothing for the little creek i mean nothing,with the exception of putting a rock back in place,on court street.two yrs ago they closed the weir,when in reality if they knew the river they would have closed court street first,and for the record they do spawn in the weir and leave i have seen it,as well as court street bottom pool of the closure they spawn there too,the fact is its small low flow pretty much most of the spring,so naturally there going to bottle neck in areas with water.so move to the next hole up,from court street across the bridge,the same thing will happen,up from there same thing again,the answer here is catch and release only for that system period.its the kids that suffer here,and there the future of the sport,and oppertunity is being taken away from these kids by idiots snagging keeping ,i even seen a guy with just a net down there,these idiots are taking away from the kids and spots where they can fish and maybe hook into one,

they have no waders,there intentions are good they just like us want the oppertunity to get the excitement of catching,and ofcouse need to be educated on the rules,no one is helping these kids at all.i have talked to a few i always do,as i learned from the guys fishing that same system 30 yrs ago,they wont get a spot to fish up there now,i saw two kids standing at the bank,watching as two guys dressed to the max,stood in the pool,with ten foot rods,and pushed them right out,and one of them possibly both are nssa,they offered that fact to the kids and were taking samples,scales and measure ments.thats all good with me but those kids went home disappointed.eventually leads to a loss of interest,and there goes your future steelheaders twenty yrs from now,if they all get treated this way,then they grow up with the same attitude,lack of river edicate..or just give up altogther,first there should be NO wading in that little creek,i have seen guys stomp up through the reds without a care in the world,two weeks ago i saw a guy snag three fish up past court street accidently but he didnt pass up the oppertunity to measure and take scale samples,this is absured,is there a compition here who gets the most samples win something?because thats how he acted this my friends is illegal,they must be realesed right away by LAW.i know nssa is trying to do there best and cannot watch these guys,thats understood,i know alot of these guys and alot of nssa members,and trust me when i say there not all randy beamish..i always let him sample mine when we run into each other,at the river,he is careful and reales them healthy,i have seen guys take them out of the water and drop them on rocks,trying to sample them and so on.i know there supposed to be educated,in this but some of them are just reckless and careless thats a fact.when the study on the mac ends,catch and release on all local river and creeks..problem solved...its the fish eaters that abuse the creek,and for the record they go at night in the dark and catch the spawned out ones and take them in numbers i mean numbers,i have reported this before to mnr.someone said in a post it was good to see a guy catching them from court street and carring them up strem to be released,and he thought that was encouraging to see...well news flash that fish may or may not belong up there,like i said some spawn in that pool,second the reason that guy is pushing them up there is because he knows he will come back at night when there spawned out and get them again,i know him well theres a hand full of them that do that,if you want to truely protect the fishery catch and release no exeptions...

James01

someone said in a post it was good to see a guy catching them from court street and carring them up strem to be released,and he thought that was encouraging to see...well news flash that fish may or may not belong up there,like i said some spawn in that pool,second the reason that guy is pushing them up there is because he knows he will come back at night when there spawned out and get them again,i know him well theres a hand full of them that do that,if you want to truely protect the fishery catch and release no exeptions...

You make a few good points, but...

I was the one that reported seeing the fellow release the fish above the falls (and I watched him help a fish out that was stranded in the shallow flow on the falls), and I resent your generalizations, they are, quite simply, asinine. Not just the claim that "the reason [anyone] is pushing them up there is because [they] will come back at night... and get them again," but almost everything you said.

And if you indeed know the people doing harm (as you claim), explain to them the harm they are doing... sitting back and letting it happen makes you as guilty as them.

Many Men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

- Henry David Thoreau

shmanks

I dont think it should be catch and release at all but I think if they made it 1 over 69cm for all tribs. starting from pigeon to nipigon (below the highway) would be better than catch and release because you know there are quite a few people out there that fish for more than the thrill, its to bring food back home...dont know if this makes sense or not because im typing on my phone lol

just my two cents

Guest Wes

I am tired of reading about the wrong doings of others if the people who write it aren't going to do anything about it. Say something then tell us what you found and what you did. Or say nothing, walk away and don't tell us about it. When I see something I don't like, I say something or report them depending on if laws are being broken. That might get me a punch in the eye someday but that's fine. It won't be the first time.

Save your stones that you are throwing at the NSSA regarding McVicars. I am unclear as to why that creek and Current river were left out of the 27" size restriction but the NSSA is trying to right that wrong. The NSSA has made an official recommendation that both of those tribs be included in the same size restriction as the McIntyre and Neebing. The NSSA are not the law makers, they only make suggestions. The government makes the decisions. I for one, hope that the recommendation is made into law. I see first hand how the population has bounced back on the McIntyre because of minimized harvest. From < 500 fish to very close to 3000 ( by the time this years data is crunched) fish since the regulation was implemented. I have caught a ton of fish in the mac in recent years and can say with great confidence that this is the best solution. I can also confidently say that with a 27" there would be very little legal harvest. This year out of my pile of McIntyre samples I would say 12 would have been 69cm+. That is < 10% of my catch for this season. I can live with a < 10% harvest.

Someone (James?) made a good point in another thread. Once something is regulated away from us, it is hard to regulate it back in. We have to be careful what we wish for. At this time, I am not sure how I would vote if it were up to us about C&R for Steelhead.

Edit: Northcoaster, in a thread in the members area Dog River??? you start by saying new to town and this thread you have fished McVicars for 35 years. Which is it?

James01

I see you picked up on that too Wes... i.e. your edit.

In all fairness, Northcoaster makes a few good points, albeit they happen within a fairly inconsistent argument with silly generalizations.

Many Men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

- Henry David Thoreau