• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
WalleyeWayne

Ticks

Guest AKL

Had one on the dog mid-summer last year here in town. She hadn't been anywhere out in the bush. They're around. Best part was that we stopped by the vet's as we couldn't get it off, and the damn thing let go on it's own in the waiting room! Found it squirming around, all engorged, on the floor. Using Advantix now. You can buy it for about half the price (it's pricey) if you search online.

tracker

Had one on me last night and I live in Westfort. The dog must have brought it in and she was only in my back yard. I was in Emo a few weeks back and we were putting up tree stands and cutting trails. So you get used to them quickly. We use the Tick Twister on the dog. Not sure where we bought it.

http://www.ticktwister.com/

Tracker

Team NOSA Homepage

Born to Fish, Forced to Work

<')(((((>{

bwkre

I went to High Falls & Middle Falls at the border on Saturday. Made a point of staying on the trail and out of any grass over 3-4" deep. I still found 6 ticks on me when I got home! Fortunatley none had latched on yet.

Guest TerryK

Found a few in Current River. I protect my dogs with Hartz Ultraguard Pro once a month. Good stuff.

BTW, the Thunder Bay District Health Unit tests ticks for free.

Guest scott324

So to get one tested I just bring the tick there? I'm pretty sure I found a deer tick on my dog the other day and I put it in a small container. Lots of wood ticks around but this is the first deer tick I've ever seen. Being from Fort Frances I have been around lots of ticks. We got one of those tick removal tools but it seemed a pain to use. Does it do something special that just pulling them off slowly doesn't do? I never ever leave the head in. They always come out with a small piece of my dog in their mouth.

Guest cstclair

i have now purchased the tick key from d n r. Haven't tried it yet but can't wait to. Well worth the try anyway! See if it works! -

Guest fishergirl08

Hey cstclair, if you check with a local vet you can pick up a tool for removing ticks - it kind of looks like a really small crowbar.

We live out by Cloud Lake and the ticks have been pretty heavy for the past few years, I probably pick up about 200 on myself each year - I get in the habit of carrying tweezers with me whenever I'm in the yard. The more that you are around the ticks the more you'll get used to them, they really don't bother me that much anymore.

Jim

hardcorefishn

The tool is called a tick twister and it goes for about $8. It comes with 2 crow bar looking tools one which is for ticks that are not engorged and the other is a bit bigger for the engorged ticks. I have used this on myself and my puppy and it works amazing

tracker

Here is what a tick looks like after a few days attached to a dog.

post-5-0-34994400-1341532142_thumb.jpg

Tracker

Team NOSA Homepage

Born to Fish, Forced to Work

<')(((((>{

WalleyeWayne

I spent 5 days at camp on Rainy Lake over the long weekend and haven`t found a tick on the dog yet. They`re usually done by the end of June so it appears that that cycle has been completed. Great pic Dennis and when they get that big, be careful plucking them cause they splurge big time!!!