• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest Hawnk

Grouse

Guest Hawnk

I recently acquired a .22 from my grandfather and am looking to go hunting for grouse. I am just wondering if any one had any strategies / suggestions for a first time hunter? How does one hunt grouse, should I just walk down a country dirt road/ logging road or walk through the bush until I hear their drumming and then try to locate?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

brookiebuster

All I do is go down logging roads and side trails. There's lots of trails and side roads off hwy 527 that usually have good numbers of grouse.

"Whack em' and stack em',kill em' and grill em'" Ted Nugent

ghart

old logging roads - birch thickets with sandy/gravelly areas and taller grass on outer edges of road. Early (up to 10am) or lateafternoon seems to do good. if your road runs with the sun shining straight down the road at 10am ish itshould be good. if you see one there may be many more together.

mybackyard125x125.jpg In the Age of Information, Ignorance is a Choice.

naden

Grouse hunting usually doesnt get really good untill the leaves start to fall and it gets a little colder out. I normally start to see a lot of birds first week of october. From then hunting will be good up untill the snow is on the ground. Later on in the season the grouse will get skittish on the roads that are hunted lots. Grown in logging roads are your best best. They seem to come out to the roads more if it is sunny and cold. Sometimes hunting in a light drizzle can be good as well.

Guest Hawnk

Ok, thanks for your help. I went out practice shooting last evening with the lady and I think we saw a grouse. I plan on trying to head out early Tuesday morning. I'll let you guys know if I am successful.

brookiebuster

I'll be going out this weekend!

"Whack em' and stack em',kill em' and grill em'" Ted Nugent

Buck 120

Was out Saturday. We bagged 9 and missed a few. Surprised to see so many with the leaves still on.

Not just a 3 month season but a 12 month obsession!!!

milspec

Was up 527 this weekend, lots of people out. Not to sure how anyone did I was doing some scouting for deer.

Mr. Canoehead

I was out near Nipigon and I have never had such a good grouse opener! I think I saw about 20 birds opening morning. Several big groups of them and many small ones where there were groups.

As for tips, starting at the crack of dawn and hunting til mid morning, walking or driving slowly around backroads slowly works best for me. Whille sippin a coffee! But seriously this time of year I find driving is best because once they leave the road you won't really get a shot at them through all those leaves. So I try to cover ground in the truck and just get the ones close to the road.

Mr. Canoehead

I was out near Nipigon and I have never had such a good grouse opener! I think I saw about 20 birds opening morning. Several big groups of them and many small ones where there were groups.

As for tips, starting at the crack of dawn and hunting til mid morning, walking or driving slowly around backroads slowly works best for me. Whille sippin a coffee! But seriously this time of year I find driving is best because once they leave the road you won't really get a shot at them through all those leaves. So I try to cover ground in the truck and just get the ones close to the road.

Spectre

Went out Saturday morning and Sunday afternoon, saw maybe 6 on saturday got 2 and maybe 4 on sunday got 1. All singles and run/fly before you can get near them. Was hunting pretty much the same way as Mr. Canoehead the coffee being the most important thing! :) But still had fun and am going to be giving it another try next weekend...

Thefishleclair

Cant wait, Going to the cabin on Sept 28-30 to look for Moose sign, Will have the X Bow packed incase we stumble on a Calf, Loads of bird last year and rabbits, Hope the same for this fall too, Will scout new trapping grounds as well. Both my kids and father will be joining me on the adventure and work (Need more Firewood). Should be a great weekend even if we dont shoot a bird!

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

nwodeerhunter

Went out on opening morning here in Sioux Lookout and got my limit before noon. Saw about a dozen, mostly singles and one group of 5. Went out again last night for a about 2 hours after work saw 4 and got em all. Been a good season thus far (2 trips) heading out with my old man this weekend in the Thunder Bay area.

Best of luck to every one.

Tikka T3 Stainless/Laminate 300 WSM
Tikka T3 Stainless/Synthetic .243Win
Benelli Supernova RealTree APG 12Ga.

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

saw over 40 this past week bow hunting, even bagged 4 with bow when walking to my hunting spot, its nice to tag a few chickens silently before getting into my area to hunt

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

Spectre

They seem to be coming out of the woods more now. If you're using a dog to hunt grouse or in the bush be careful a wolf almost attacked my dog on the weekend, just got really lucky I followed her into the bush when she went in looking for birds. The wolf got within about 10 ft of her before i yelled and he changed direction. She is a bichon/shih tzu mix so it coulda picked her up and just kept running too... :unsure:

Guest Hawnk

I got my first grouse this morning! It was pretty exciting. It was actually the second I encountered as the first one managed to fly away fairly quickly after spotting him. It certainly is not easy hunting for grouse with a .22! I got him on my second shot and it was through really dense bush.

As well, I also spotted what I think was a broad winged hawk. I thought he was injured as I came within 8 or 9 feet of him and he just stared at me for a good 5 minutes. He finally flew away and I was relieved that he was in fact not injured.

scandiman

I've done pretty decent this season thus far. Got 20+ birds in 5-6 outings. Seems to be a good population of birds out there. I haven't seen too many groups of birds...mostly all singles.